Play off's 2009 / 2010

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Play off's 2009 / 2010

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 10, 2010 5:53 am

In the championship Blackpool take a 2-1 lead to Forest. You have to hand it to Holloway who has done a great job on limited resources, but Nottm have an impressive home record and an away goal

Bluebirds went to Walker stadium and nicked a 1-0 win. Can't honestly see the Foxes coming back from that. Cardiff are in financial strife (what else can you expect with Ridsdsle at the helm) and are desperate for the 3rd EPL spot
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Re: Play off's 2009 / 2010

Postby RoosterMarty » Mon May 10, 2010 6:01 pm

The goal by Notts Forest was all class!

Whittingham's free kick was pretty decent as well, little bit of controversy in whether it was taken from the right place but it was a brilliant strike. Both teams had plenty of chances but the finishing was pretty average. Leicester should have equalised not long after the goal when Fryatt (?) was one on one after a defensive blunder but Marshall had a very solid game in goal.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby on the rails » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:The goal by Notts Forest was all class!

Whittingham's free kick was pretty decent as well, little bit of controversy in whether it was taken from the right place but it was a brilliant strike. Both teams had plenty of chances but the finishing was pretty average. Leicester should have equalised not long after the goal when Fryatt (?) was one on one after a defensive blunder but Marshall had a very solid game in goal.

Might have helped if Weale had covered that post better! We were screaming at the TV for him to wake up knowing that was where the free was was going and bang - Cardiff Score!

Fryatt should have done better with his chance but considering he has played a total of 30 minutes of football since early Feb he is clearly lacking match fitness and sharpness.

Andy King's last minute header was all but in except for a world class save from the Cardiff keeper!

Also the ref (Wylie from the Premier League) gave a pretty average display and 2 of the 4 handball claims Leicester had should have been penalties.

Leicester a little unlucky not to have got a draw in the end.

Still not all over yet but Leicester will have to take the game to Cardiff - cannot believe they sat back in the first half and had only Waghorn as a lone attacking option with very little help. Dyer and the likes of King just didn't put enough pressure on or give support. Second half there was more urgency so we need to take that mindset into Wednesday nights game!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby RoosterMarty » Wed May 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Yeah the keeper was not in a great position for a left footer. You guys definitely deserved a draw, very grateful for that last save as I thought that was going in. It is far from over as away goals don't count (would love this rule in all competitions) and I expect Leicester to start off better than they did at home.

Blackpool are through, only scraped into the playoffs but now they are off to Wembley. Won 4-3 this morning with DJ Campbell netting a hatty. Good result as the winner of tomorrow mornings match would prefer to play them rather than Forest.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Thu May 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Leicester beat Cardiff 3-2 which sent it to extra time and then penalties where Cardiff prevailed thanks to a very ordinary chipped penalty Kermorgant - not the best time to try that really.

Cardiff scored first and were 2-0 up on agg but then the Foxes hit back and were 3-2 up. Pretty cracking tie and Leicester were unlucky in the end, I'm sure they will be back next year.

Cardiff vs Blackpool now - can't wait for that.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Postby Dirko » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Thankyou Blackpool. Thankyou !

**** off Forest :twisted:

:lol:
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby on the rails » Thu May 13, 2010 1:31 pm

You could say unlucky but over 2 legs Cardiff looked the better side for good portions of the game.

We should have had at least one penalty in the first leg and King was unlucky at the death not to grab an equaliser. We sat back too deep and not having another man up front to help Waghorn hurt us.

2nd leg - Whittingham should have scored early on and Cardiff dominated and duly scored however we got back into and started to control the game by half time using the height of Howard. After we scored our 3rd we seemed to then let Cardiff attack us and we sagged back to close to our box and didn't put on any midfield pressure and ultimately paid the price. Offside re the ball in that got the penalty for Cardiff to square it back up - yes but one of those that goes either way however the hestitation between the defenders and Weale caused the penalty in the end.

Cardiff then rattled the wood work twice, Hobbs also cleared Chopra's shot off the line before we hit the wood work with that dipping and curling Waghorn corner.

We had our chances but alas penalties which is a cruel way to decide a game. Don't mind if the players have a decent penalty crack and miss or it is saved but what the f**k was that "French" twat trying to do???

Interesting as the commentators pointed out after not one foxes player went and consoled Kermongant, they all went to Waghorn who was distraught - not really his fault for missing as Kermongant was the one that basically lost the shoot out.

Going to be a long off season and it will be interesting to see who comes and goes? Pearson still hasn't re-signed, Waghorn is going back to Sunderland, Salerno looks too slow and old and he should go but we need to hang onto the likes of Fryatt, King, Hobbbs, Morrison etc and hope the EPL clubs don't make a raid.

I hope Cardiff go up as they were the ones who knocked us out plus it will pain me to see Holloway take Blackpool up as he was the "gaffer" who took us into the 3rd tier for the first (and hopefully only) time!

Geez it is frustrating following Leicester and North Adelaide are not helping things either!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Pidge » Tue May 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Swindon into the Playoff Final for League 1 after beating Charlton 5-4 on Penalties after it was tied 3-3 on aggregate over the two legs.
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby dinglinga » Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be,
We're going to Wembley,
Que sera, sera.

Let 'em come, Let 'em come, Let 'em come
Let 'em all come down to The Den
We'll only have to beat 'em again
We're the best team in London
No, the best team of all
Everybody knows us
We're called Millwall
Let 'em all come down to The Den
Let 'em all...... come down......... TO THE DEEEENNNNNNN

Bring em on ....lets get back into the championship
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu May 20, 2010 11:59 pm

dinglinga wrote:

If the Lions can make it back into the Championship, it'll be quite a shame that the Spammers couldn't bottle it quite enough to join them!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri May 21, 2010 7:15 am

devilsadvocate wrote:
dinglinga wrote:

If the Lions can make it back into the Championship, it'll be quite a shame that the Spammers couldn't bottle it quite enough to join them!

You're kidding. Leeds and millwall in the ccc. Two of the worst set of fans in the entire league
I just hope Cardiff City win the ccc p/o final

Last time millwall came to turf moor our capacity went down by 208 after they left :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby devilsadvocate » Fri May 21, 2010 11:04 am

johntheclaret wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
dinglinga wrote:

You're kidding. Leeds and millwall in the ccc. Two of the worst set of fans in the entire league

Last time millwall came to turf moor our capacity went down by 208 after they left :roll:

They stole the seats at Turf Moor? I know Bermondsy is a poor area, but taking the seats with them? :lol:

Having said that, poor or not, they're aren't any budding brain surgeons in SE16 - check this brilliant thread out (read 'stuwall's posts):

http://www.hof.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2403
LMAO - sorry Dinga!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Pidge » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
dinglinga wrote:

I know Milwall are pretty feral, but Leeds? Really?
It's Somma Time!
Pidge
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby johntheclaret » Fri May 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Pidge wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:
dinglinga wrote:

I know Milwall are pretty feral, but Leeds? Really?

Really mate. Present company excepted of course. To be fair, we haven't played them for a few years but I would be suprised if anything has changed.

I don't think they are particualrly "feral", I think it's more a case of there are so many on them so have more idiots.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Dirko » Sun May 23, 2010 8:57 am

BLACKPOOL !

Are in the Premier league after downing Cardiff 3 - 2.
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RoosterMarty » Sun May 23, 2010 2:02 pm

I can not ******* believe what happened last night. Had the lead twice, threw it away twice and it was always going to be tough when we were down at the half. Chopra hit the crossbar in the second but terrible defending was what cost the Bluebirds, their first goal was a cracking free kick though.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm

SJABC wrote:BLACKPOOL !

What are the odds for going straight back down?

Is Bloomfield Rd up to EPL standards JTC?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Il Duce » Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 pm

With the money the recieve from winning last nights game Blacpool will finish off there stadium, it will be increased from 12,000 to 16,000 for the next season and then going to be finished the season after with total compacity 20,000 to 22,000.
The problem with Barcelona is that I like fish and chips but they had to turn it into calamari and patatas
Il Duce
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Cardiff can't take a trick can they?
They've been so close now for about 5 years.

Well done to Blackpool - a team I know very little about. Wikipedia time!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 pm

heater31 wrote:
SJABC wrote:BLACKPOOL !

What are the odds for going straight back down?

Is Bloomfield Rd up to EPL standards JTC?

I would expect the tangerines to be pretty short odds for an immediate return. In many ways they are just like the clarets
Provincial northern club with some history that has fallen on hardtimes over the last 30 years
Not much money
Unfancied in the p/offs
Beat a much better opponent in the semis (like Reading last year)
Was the underdog in the fianl
Won't have the resources or the kudos to attact any really decent players next season
Will be relegated but financially sound for the next ten years

As for bloomfield Ed. It's a shit house and if the likes of arsenal etc were shocked at the standards of turf moor and our facilities, well all I can say is, to coin the classic BTO lyric "you ain't seen nothin yet"

Still I'll miss not going there next season. I always enjoyed the BURNLEY v Blackpool derbies, mainley because we usually won ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer