Gaelic Football in South Australia

Any other sports

Re: Gaelic Football in South Australia

Postby the milky bar kid » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 am

Na Fianna v Flinders. Na Fi 1-5 only cos I'm playing
Onkas v Port. Onkas 6-10 Port usually take a while to get going & Onka's would've been training since July
St.Brendans v Irish. Taints 1-5 Irish to be big improvers this year, but Taints still to get it done.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:09 am

the milky bar kid wrote:Na Fianna v Flinders. Na Fi 1-5 only cos I'm playing
Onkas v Port. Onkas 6-10 Port usually take a while to get going & Onka's would've been training since July
St.Brendans v Irish. Taints 1-5 Irish to be big improvers this year, but Taints still to get it done.

Will the people get the dream match up they want and see MBK on Neville Bartoss this Friday. Moose will be there so expect major heckling mate.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Cheese Twisties » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:11 am

Good to see the tipping comp return!

Na Fianna vs Flinders O'Neills: Flinders 1-5.
Purely just to tip something differnt than Wristy and Milko, plus Flinders are usually strong early and i dont think Adelaide United are at home on Sunday. Plus with Jamie Neeson back from his first state trip, he will have the Christmas Trees firsing for round 1!
Onkas vs Port: Onkas 1-5.
Onkas to be too strong with Jamie Conlon and Andy Crate too big and powerful in the midfield. Also with Matty Whippedford back in the country, will he return to Onkas? Port to improve again but may take a while for their hard running players to get some touch back with the roundball. If Toasty can win more of the penalties he got on state trip then they may be a chance! And hopefully Pokey has decided whether he wants or does not want a moustache, as he was looking somewhere in between when i last saw him.
Taints vs Irish: Taints 6-10
The aging Taints list has already been rocked by a few injuries left over from footy season, and also sees a few players OS and interstate. However hopefully having 5 or so players play State including the state captain (Johnny Peg), leading scorer (Span O'Hara), and leading black card recepient (Dan Noble) then a few of us should be in better nick than usual for round 1. Irish will certainly improve under the tuteladge of State coach Ken Brophy, plus the legendary Matty Doecke is going around again, with Irishmen Chris Higgins and Duddy up forward.

Good luck to all teams and tipsters!
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:06 am

Flinders O'Neills 1-5
Onkaparinga 1-5
St Brendans 11-15
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:04 am

wristwatcher wrote:If anyone is interested I am going to do the Gaelic tipping comp again to hopefully get a bit of positive discussion happening about the games and hopefully some previews and reviews. My work no longer permits me to hold any official role as it is listed as a conflict of interest. Yes the Gaelic State league may very well unravel the 2.5 billion dollar TV deal :roll: So I will be an interested spectator this season and hoping to see some good quality Gaelic over the Spring and Summer.

Tipping Competition prizes
1st - $50 bar voucher to St.Marys - Pending the President approval :D If not I will by you beers at the Hannigan Cup final.
2nd - A selection of the confiscated items that Minor footballers have stolen at Australasian championships between 2000 and 2013
3rd - One of my 14 Grand Final referee medals

Rules
2 points for correct team
1 bonus point for correct margin in 5 point increments eg. 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16+
Additional bonus point for a perfect round. So maximum score in round is 10
Tips are due in prior to the first game of the round

Just wanted to bump the rules and prizes post.

Great to see we have 4 entrants. Would be good to get 10 people talking about the tips and therefore games and players again.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 am

Flinders 1-5
Onkas 6-10
St. Brendans 6-10
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Cash 123 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 am

Na Fianna 6-10
Onkas 6-10
St.Brendans 11- 15
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:10 am

Cash 123 wrote:Na Fianna 6-10
Onkas 6-10
St.Brendans 11- 15

More importantly who will John Cena lose his US title too at Hell in a Cell :D
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Na Fianna over Flinders in a cracker of a season opener

Na Fianna 1.7 - 10 def Flinders O'Neil 1.5 - 8
Best Finns ; Seany Noonan (son of 91 NAFC Premiership coach Mike), "Sticks" Parham, JackyBoy Reynolds, JackO'Mahney and Connnor
Best FON ; Apologies if names are not exactly right. Sean McSomething #36, "Bobby" Rakiwasa, Young fella named Dillon.

A really good, fast game of Gaelic. Both teams worked really hard and there were no easy possessions. If that's the standard of Gaelic this year the comp will win some fans and more spectators.

Finns went with the breeze down the hill in the first half and it was neck and neck early. The Reds had real strength around the middle and Big Sean looked dangerous with slick, strong run and carry. Na Fianna were able to apply enough scoreboard pressure with 3 or 4 players bobbing up for points including Con, Connor, Sticks and Big Fella they called the Goth Jolly aka Foster was giving a good target up forward. Dan Bryant was fighting off sunburn from the 7pm game time but did well as the loose in defence. All in all Flinders moved the ball quicker into attack whilst Finns were a touch more measured. A late goal was crucial for the Green and Black attack. At the half I believe the score was 1.4 - 0.3

The second half was also played at frenetic pace and the arrival of Rabbs Wilson to the Reds line up gave them extra run and more attacking avenues. Jacky Reynolds and Sean Noonan curtailed the influence of arguably the highest credentialed player on the field and were crucial in Finns maintaining control. Na Fianna scored another goal that was disallowed and when Flindes answered with an electric fast break and under it was very much game on. The last 6 or 7 the Reds couldn't take their chances and some cool heads from Na Fianna led by their Skipper Conor was able to hold on and chew up the clock when their scoring ability seemed to have run dry.

Well done to both teams on an excellent game and to Referee Toasty for a good effort as Ref. The game was played in good spirits and also good to see both teams getting a few froths into them after the game and sharing the craic and having a laugh (Craic not Crack to be very clear) I hope to see more teams supporting the bar and in the club rooms.

It's obvious to me from my first visit to Gaelic Park the new committee has started putting some money back into the game with things like a TRAINER yes a trainer, Flags, markers, cones, a working scoreboard, the club rooms set up, fridge and snacks fully stocked, bar staff and more. I hope people support the association as it is clear they are making an effort to support the game and the clubs and it's a level of professionalism that will entice people to the grounds and games and ultimately bring about expansion. Looking forward to Pink round next week 8)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby G_Leonard » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:33 am

Cheese Twisties wrote:Good to see the tipping comp return!

Purely just to tip something differnt than Wristy and Milko, plus Flinders are usually strong early and i dont think Adelaide United are at home on Sunday. Plus with Jamie Neeson back from his first state trip, he will have the Christmas Trees firsing for round 1!
Onkas to be too strong with Jamie Conlon and Andy Crate too big and powerful in the midfield. Also with Matty Whippedford back in the country, will he return to Onkas? Port to improve again but may take a while for their hard running players to get some touch back with the roundball. If Toasty can win more of the penalties he got on state trip then they may be a chance! And hopefully Pokey has decided whether he wants or does not want a moustache, as he was looking somewhere in between when i last saw him.
The aging Taints list has already been rocked by a few injuries left over from footy season, and also sees a few players OS and interstate. However hopefully having 5 or so players play State including the state captain (Johnny Peg), leading scorer (Span O'Hara), and leading black card recepient (Dan Noble) then a few of us should be in better nick than usual for round 1. Irish will certainly improve under the tuteladge of State coach Ken Brophy, plus the legendary Matty Doecke is going around again, with Irishmen Chris Higgins and Duddy up forward.

Will be interesting to see if Port can back up their form from last season this year, I have heard they have lost a couple, but who hasn't?

Sounds like Pocock might be preparing for Movember... it does take him several months to grow anything close to resembling a moustache.
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:33 pm

G_Leonard wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:Good to see the tipping comp return!

Will be interesting to see if Port can back up their form from last season this year, I have heard they have lost a couple, but who hasn't?

Sounds like Pocock might be preparing for Movember... it does take him several months to grow anything close to resembling a moustache.

I'm not sure they can cover the loss of Shaun the Beard. He is the Port X factor
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Has anyone got scores from today's games?
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:06 pm

St Brendans 4.13-25 def Irish 2.7-13
Onkas 4.10-22 def Port 4.8-20
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:09 pm

Wow the Port game wouldve been good to watch.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Week 1 tipping results. If anyone else wants to join they are more than welcome to and you can start on the lowest score-4

Wristzilla 8
Milko and Ca$h 7
LGIL 6
Cheese Twist 5
Valleys 4
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:20 pm

HH3 wrote:Wow the Port game wouldve been good to watch.

Didn't see it, just got the scores from the Prez. Looks like all 3 games were good contests. Hopefully bodes well for a tight, close even season.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cash 123 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 am

wristwatcher wrote:

Didn't see it, just got the scores from the Prez. Looks like all 3 games were good contests. Hopefully bodes well for a tight, close even season.

Great game against Onkas last night. Very quick game and a lot of open spaces (as a result of 13 a side) led to a high score line.

As with many of the other teams was encouraging to see 7 or 8 new players adapt to the game very quickly and showed some good signs.

With a few big ins in the coming weeks we should get back on track very quickly.

Rant 1: This is the last time that we will play with 13 players when we have more than 15 as it isn't fair on us to have to make players sit on the bench because this certain team never seems to have enough players against us. Especially when they have people on the sidelines who play other weeks and would have played if it meant there team had to forfeit. I'm of the understanding that the rule was changed allowing a team to play with 15 players against 13 but im sure coach troy will be following this up.

Rant 2: Referee not knowing the length of the half's. Or maybe I don't. So could someone please tell me how long each half should go for?

Ps. Many more rants to come this year.
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:58 am

Cash 123 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Great game against Onkas last night. Very quick game and a lot of open spaces (as a result of 13 a side) led to a high score line.

As with many of the other teams was encouraging to see 7 or 8 new players adapt to the game very quickly and showed some good signs.

With a few big ins in the coming weeks we should get back on track very quickly.

Rant 1: This is the last time that we will play with 13 players when we have more than 15 as it isn't fair on us to have to make players sit on the bench because this certain team never seems to have enough players against us. Especially when they have people on the sidelines who play other weeks and would have played if it meant there team had to forfeit. I'm of the understanding that the rule was changed allowing a team to play with 15 players against 13 but im sure coach troy will be following this up.

Rant 2: Referee not knowing the length of the half's. Or maybe I don't. So could someone please tell me how long each half should go for?

Ps. Many more rants to come this year.

I was told (but have no idea if its true) that it was all 15 a side this year? Anyway i believed it, as we only had 14 when we started and took on the squad of 50 Irish Australian players at 15 aside.

Ummmm no idea how long a half goes for! 20 or 25 i think...??

Also has anyone been able to get then fixture list to work on the gaelic webiste? I have had no luck!
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Halves are 25 minutes for any game except the Hannigan Cup final is 30.

*Social 7s is 20
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Round 2 - Pink Round.

Definitely a tough round to tip and it's looking like it might be our most even comp in years. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 games went either way. With all games on the one day for a great cause it should hopefully see some big crowds down at Gaelic Park this Sunday.

Na Fianna v Port. Finns by 1-5. Very tough to pick this one. This result could depend on what time Troy kicks the boys out of Dizzy square on Saturday night. I believe this game is for the Jacko Mahney Cup.

Flinders v Irish. Flinders by 6-10. The Reds speed impressed me in round 1. On a warm Sunday I'm not sure Irish has anyone to go with Rabbs and he should set up plenty of opportunities for Flinders. Both teams will be desperate to not go 0-2.

Grand Final Rematch
St. Brendans v Western Ireland. It's a new year so I don't really know of too many positional changes. James Gallagher is a big out for the Goats but a surplus of Minor talent should have the a Goats with the depth they need. The Taints are talking about a half a dozen changes but coming off a premiership, a comfortable first up win and the likes of Dooley and Zues coming off a great Nationals I take Brendans 1-5.

Good luck tipsters.
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports