FISHING

Any other sports

Re: FISHING

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am

Hey has anyone ever been spearing for flounder??

I'm planning to head down the Coorong next week to try and nail a few with a submersible spotty that I just bought.

Any tips??
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby ROCKYB » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Dont shoot yourself in the foot :lol:
Be the ball and just tapp it in.....
ROCKYB
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:50 am

Swamp Donkey wrote:Hey has anyone ever been spearing for flounder??

I'm planning to head down the Coorong next week to try and nail a few with a submersible spotty that I just bought.

Any tips??

I havent been to the coorong for flounder before
but I do a bit of spear fishing every summer!
what sort of spear you using?? a hand spear or gun?
only thing I have noticed is if u use a hand spear, once the fish is over say 30cm it makes it hard to pierce the skin!
a gun is much better for big fish, only problem is u only get the one shot cause it takes a few seconds to reload the gun!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Iron Fist wrote:

Any tips??

only thing I have noticed is if u use a hand spear, once the fish is over say 30cm it makes it hard to pierce the skin!
a gun is much better for big fish, only problem is u only get the one shot cause it takes a few seconds to reload the gun!

Na you got the wrong idea sorry mate, will be wading with a submersible spotty in knee deep water at night on the sand falts, just using a hand spear mainly to pin them down.

Since you brought it up though, I find hand spears really effective while diving, if yours isnt piercing the skin of fish from 35 cm away then your either not pulling it back far enough as you load it or spear is blunt. You should be able to pick off fish from 50-70cm+. Have smashed plenty of strongies this way.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

Any tips??

Na you got the wrong idea sorry mate, will be wading with a submersible spotty in knee deep water at night on the sand falts, just using a hand spear mainly to pin them down.

Since you brought it up though, I find hand spears really effective while diving, if yours isnt piercing the skin of fish from 35 cm away then your either not pulling it back far enough as you load it or spear is blunt. You should be able to pick off fish from 50-70cm+. Have smashed plenty of strongies this way.

thats fair, I have never fished that way but I will have to give it a try
do the fish come to the light or how do u not scare them away while walking through the water?!

In relation to the size thing
I was talking bout the actual size of the fish not how far away I am
I easily pick them up from 50-70cm
all Im saying is I hae noticed it can be hard to hit a strongy with a hand spear if they are a decent size
well u hit them but the spear can tend to deflect off the fish
My spear could be a bit blunt though!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Swamp Donkey » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Nah the flounder, being benthic dwellers, will generally sit there quietly. If they do scare they tend to swim just 5-10m remaining close enough for you to have another crack. I'll let you know how I fair!!
Tonight would have been great, but cant go and its still pretty breezy in the evenings which doesnt help.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Swamp Donkey » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Can it possibly get any better for fishing this weekend. Big tides and check out the winds forecast!!!

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/sa.asp

Just gotta find them now.

Whats everyone up to in terms of dropping a line in over Easter. I mean heading tp upper Gulf St. Vincent looking for plenty of crabs, KGW, Snook, Squid and dabbing for Gardies.

I'd be keen to see how everyone went on Tuesday morning! Tight lines!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Westsider » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Yeh i might be trying for some Salmon in the port river over the long weekend, they are starting to run.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Mickyj » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 pm

I'll be flicking a fly in West Lakes not Saturday.
And after todays tiny Bream there was something else in the lake may have been a Gar I hooked and lost .Wasn't a Bream hit the moving popper and fought quite well.
Plus someone was taking my pic so if it gets published somewhere.thats mickyj in a hat that makes me look like an illegal Mexican worker . :lol:
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Great weekend of fishing to be had by all.

Scored plenty of crabs up at Port Parham. KGW are just starting to fire. Plenty of squid in the freezer too.

That oughta get me through the first few weeks of footy until the Bye!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 pm

Went upto yorkes over the weekend and stayed at browns
was packed as pondy camp site was closed, I think we got one of the last camp sites at browns!
we went out fri morning, mate got a few garfish which was weird, then walked about 2-3kms and went for salmon, didnt get anything but a school of mullet came through and we caught a few of those!
the weather was perfect but probs not the best for salmon as the water was to calm
they werent coming into the lagoon!
we had planned to fish the other days we were there but we ended up just getting drunk everyday haha
all in all was good to chuck a line in and get way from adelaide for the weekend!

how everyone else go??
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Going fishing all four days of the Easter Long Weekend and bagging out of Whiting and Squid every day, back on shore and having them all filleted by 1 in the arvo at the latest each day then drinking piss all afternoon. :supz:

thats bullshit, it takes me at least til 1:30.

It was good fun mate. Leave at 8-8:30 have the whiting in the well by 9:15 then waste a couple of hours drifting for squid. Get the 45 squid then clean em up and drink beer watching the footy.

Its pretty sad when you have to leave the whiting still biting hard each morning.

From another thread. My fishing adventures were at Smoky Bay. Awesome place.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Mickyj » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Iron Fist wrote:Went upto yorkes over the weekend and stayed at browns
was packed as pondy camp site was closed, I think we got one of the last camp sites at browns!
we went out fri morning, mate got a few garfish which was weird, then walked about 2-3kms and went for salmon, didnt get anything but a school of mullet came through and we caught a few of those!
the weather was perfect but probs not the best for salmon as the water was to calm
they werent coming into the lagoon!
we had planned to fish the other days we were there but we ended up just getting drunk everyday haha
all in all was good to chuck a line in and get way from adelaide for the weekend!

how everyone else go??

iron fist I started with nothing for an hour and half yesterday at west lakes .Then moved beaches lost 7 fish from tiny to small in forty minutes.Including cutting and retying my leader damn 4lb stuff always breaks .
The wind confused the hell out of me this morning(it kept changing directions) and I lost a fly due to a faulty knot .
Came home and my new chemically sharpened kamasan hooks arrived yippeee .
Can recommend these guys ordered them Thursday afternoon and they came this morning (not bad with a four day weekend in between).
http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=home

Cheers
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Browny25 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:30 pm

anyone know of any good land based spots at pt vincent?
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby silicone skyline » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Going fishing all four days of the Easter Long Weekend and bagging out of Whiting and Squid every day, back on shore and having them all filleted by 1 in the arvo at the latest each day then drinking piss all afternoon. :supz:

thats bullshit, it takes me at least til 1:30.

It was good fun mate. Leave at 8-8:30 have the whiting in the well by 9:15 then waste a couple of hours drifting for squid. Get the 45 squid then clean em up and drink beer watching the footy.

Its pretty sad when you have to leave the whiting still biting hard each morning.

From another thread. My fishing adventures were at Smoky Bay. Awesome place.

Where were you fishing at Smoky?

Great place for Squid and whiting is Saddle Peak, in a north western direction up the coast.

Problem is it does get rough about 1pm - 3pm on the ride back. Haha.

The Channel is also good for Salmon Trout.

Have you also checked out Acraman Creek for its Salmon?
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:51 pm

My brother in law has a few spots. Were getting the whiting on a spot about 1km west of Saddle Peak. Drifted each day for squid at Saddle Peak but found them to be bigger on the reef about 3/4 way back to Smoky.

I remember the channel out the back of the bay the day the tsunami hit Thailand. I was helping the inlaws with their oysters and they kept saying the tide was running strange. On the way back into shore we cruised past the channel and saw a massive school of salmon. Out came the rods and it was the best 8 minutes of fishing I've ever had. Only pulled my rod up once that wasn't a double header. Don't think the sinker hit the bottom at any stage. When we counted the fish after about 8 minutes we had to put 15 of them back in the drink!

Pretty easy to guess what we had for Brekky the next day :D
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby The Jack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm

So what you're saying is, there's a silver lining in every cloud?? ;) Tsunami = great fishing in the Bight! Who said climate change was a bad thing???
The Jack
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Swamp Donkey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:39 pm

The Jack wrote:So what you're saying is, there's a silver lining in every cloud?? ;) Tsunami = great fishing in the Bight! Who said climate change was a bad thing???

Gold Jack!
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby saveyourlegs » Sun May 03, 2009 11:40 pm

Went out 3km off west beach yesturday and caught a cold.. anyone else do any good? obviously at the wrong spot cos some lucky prick bagged out of whiting at nth haven..
saveyourlegs
Reserves

Grassroots Team: United Aboriginal

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 am

Spent the weekend at Wallaroo, we went out to the Snapper grounds on Saturaday and pulled in a few Snapper including one 10 kilo beauty
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2329 times
Been liked: 3530 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports