Cairo Airport - Giza

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Cairo Airport - Giza

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:23 am

I've got a 4 hour stop over in Cairo Airport later in the year, it's a connecting flight so won't need to check in or drop bags or anything, so I'm wondering if 4 hours would be enough time to get a taxi out to Giza for a quick look at the Pyramids and the Sphinx?
Wouldn't be looking to spend too long there, probably only half an hour or so.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Cairo Airport - Giza

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Wouldn't risk it personally. The roads in Cairo are easily the worst I've seen in the world. UTTER CHAOS. 3 lanes with 5 rows of cars.

Delay your flight, stay over and take your time at Giza. Half an hour isn't enough to even take in the significance of what's there.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Forgot to mention it would be at 5:40am, or are the roads pretty ordinary most the time?
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby MagicKiwi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Sam it's not enough time. You'd have to get through customs (out and back in), find your way to Giza via the abominable traffic da mentions (including various forms of transport both mechanical and animal), there's a row of souvenir sellers to navigate through and that's before you get to the pyramids and another rabble. You need more time.
Red (and White)
Red (Backs)
All (Blacks)
MagicKiwi
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 am

Changed our flights and have given ourselves 2 nights there now, so will have ample time to take in the sights. :)
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Sam_goUUUdogs wrote:Changed our flights and have given ourselves 2 nights there now, so will have ample time to take in the sights. :)

Brilliant move. You can see all the pics of the pyramids, but the aura of the things when you see them with your own eyes is priceless.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   General Talk  Travel