Operation Wombat

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: Operation Wombat

Postby JAS » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the adivce on the TSA locks. Easily bought here too but wasn't sure if Australia might have a serparate system of its own.

Thanks Psyber. The luggage I have is neither new nor expensive and I have no objection whatsoever to it being searched...they have a job to do and I have nothing to hide...but it was more the idea of someone accessing my possessions without me there to witness it that I was concerned about. Not that I have anything especially valuable but it's still my stuff and I trust no one. Once the lock/zip is trashed what's to stop someone else accessing it and removing or, worse, putting something in.

I never finalise a timetable :D always try to leave it open and allow some space for the unexpected or spontaneous things...I find it far less stressful and disappointing if you keep itineraries as flexible as possible. The drive sounds great and I have a couple of people who have very kindly offerred to drive me around so hopefully that can go on the list too.

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Pottsy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:10 pm

JAS, if your luggage has zips, I really wouldn't worry about investing much money into a lock.

You can open zipped luggage with a pen. Try it...a sturdy plastic pen with a ball point will push straight through the zip if forced hard between the teeth. Then you just grab the two zip fasteners and go all the way around the suitcase to seal it back up. I've done it with no problems. Also don't bother with combination locks. They are invariably easy to open. All you need is a torch!

If you're really worried, the only way to go is either expensive hard sided key locked luggage, or those wire cages that wrap all the way around your luggage and then get key locked. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I have worked at Adelaide Airport for many years and never seen or heard of anyone arriving with a nasty surprise added to their luggage.

Also, I couldn't agree more with redandblack about that drive. It's a cracker, especially at this green time of year.
Pottsy
Under 18s

Postby JAS » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks Pottsy :D
Yeh I'm just the overcautious type and, touch wood, I find if I plan for something it often doesn't happen eg I've always carried a little sewing kit...never needed it so far but you can bet your life the one time I don't take it I'm going to need it :lol:

I'm sure it's the same as cars, houses etc if someone's determined enough then no lock etc would stop them but as a TSA padlock costs less than £10 then if nothing else hopefully having taken reasonable precautions would help any insurance claim if I ever need to make one.

I'm definitely hoping to include that drive...in fact looking at the little map in my Lonely Planet guide I think it's not far from A Mum and the home-cooked roast :D so maybe we can take the scenic route there or back to Adelaide.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am

JAS wrote:Thanks Pottsy :D
Yeh I'm just the overcautious type and, touch wood, I find if I plan for something it often doesn't happen eg I've always carried a little sewing kit...never needed it so far but you can bet your life the one time I don't take it I'm going to need it :lol:

I'm sure it's the same as cars, houses etc if someone's determined enough then no lock etc would stop them but as a TSA padlock costs less than £10 then if nothing else hopefully having taken reasonable precautions would help any insurance claim if I ever need to make one.

I'm definitely hoping to include that drive...in fact looking at the little map in my Lonely Planet guide I think it's not far from A Mum and the home-cooked roast :D so maybe we can take the scenic route there or back to Adelaide.

Regards
JAS

yep good option JAS, even if you dont like beaches and the outdoors too much, you will love that drive ... carrackalinga is a cracking place. so is myponga beach, just ask Fisho!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:24 am

It appears as though you are going to be very, very busy whilst here JAS.

You might not go home....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10840 times

Postby A Mum » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 am

JAS wrote:

Regards
JAS

JAS you're putting too much pressure on me :-ss
I'm no 'master chef' or anything like that !! :lol:
I hope you don't have too high expectations...lol 8-x

Will be great to meet you none the less O:)
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Postby JAS » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Booney wrote:It appears as though you are going to be very, very busy whilst here JAS.

You might not go home....

haha WHAT and leave this land of cold and rain and pre-teen binge-drinking criminals and miserable grey concrete =)) ...I'm one of those that's not even brave enough to take more than my limit through Customs...anyway who knows I might not like the place ;)

shhhhh...don't tell anyone but I've always said if I won a fortune I'd rather live in NZ

A Mum wrote:JAS you're putting too much pressure on me
I'm no 'master chef' or anything like that !!
I hope you don't have too high expectations...lol

Will be great to meet you none the less

Nah don't be silly...I'm no chef myself so I don't expect anything fancy...that said something a bit above fish fingers and oven chips would be nice ;) :lol: Talking of which your version of Come Dine With Me is being shown here next week...not usually my kinda show but I might tune in...might help stop the sleepless nights Border Patrol's giving me...I mustn't take anything made from wood, mustn't take fresh food (except the Tunnocks for FC), mustn't take more that 10,000 in cash (lol I wish), mustn't have any mud/dirt on my boots, mustn't pack any insects 8-[ @-)

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:07 pm

JAS wrote:Thanks Pottsy :D

Regards
JAS

In one of those spooky little moments this story appeared on the news last night to kinda highlight what I mean about covering myself insurancewise...yep I ain't so paranoid...no offence Pottsy but it's the little ****'s at this end I don't trust...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... &ATTR=News

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby A Mum » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:16 pm

LOL JAS - nope I promised a good old aussie lamb roast - so a good old lamb roast is what it will be O:)
A Mum
Coach

Postby JAS » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:39 pm

A Mum wrote:LOL JAS - nope I promised a good old aussie lamb roast - so a good old lamb roast is what it will be O:)

:d :tonqe: :-bd

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Ian » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:49 am

A Mum wrote: old lamb roast is what it will be

It's a long way to come for a old lamb roast Mum, I think you should cook a nice tender young lamb roast for JAS ;)
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby A Mum » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 am

Ian wrote:
A Mum wrote: old lamb roast is what it will be

It's a long way to come for a old lamb roast Mum, I think you should cook a nice tender young lamb roast for JAS ;)

Yep that too :lol:

old as in traditional !! :D
A Mum
Coach

Postby Pottsy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:45 pm

JAS wrote:In one of those spooky little moments this story appeared on the news last night to kinda highlight what I mean about covering myself insurancewise...yep I ain't so paranoid...no offence Pottsy but it's the little ****'s at this end I don't trust...

Regards
JAS

None taken! 8) Just make sure you cover up those zips somehow if you're really worried, I'm serious about it being easy peasy to open them with a pen!
Pottsy
Under 18s

Postby JAS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Pottsy wrote:
JAS wrote:In one of those spooky little moments this story appeared on the news last night to kinda highlight what I mean about covering myself insurancewise...yep I ain't so paranoid...no offence Pottsy but it's the little ****'s at this end I don't trust...

Regards
JAS

None taken! 8) Just make sure you cover up those zips somehow if you're really worried, I'm serious about it being easy peasy to open them with a pen!

Thanks for all the info Pottsy. I know I can't stop the determined from getting into luggage...I'm guessing most are opportunists anyway looking for a very fast grab...and I'm not silly enough to put anything valueable in my hold luggage anyway so it would be the inconvenience more than anythng...replacing a knackered suitcase isn't really how you want to spend the first day of your holiday. Not had a problem so far although my mate had her bag locks broken when we went to Italy and hers was a hardshell Samsonite.

I always assume that travel insurance is like car insurance...if you leave your car unlocked you ain't covered for theft so I'm just looking at taking reasonable precautions which was why I asked if you had your own version of the US TSA locks or if you use those too.

JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:34 pm

ok onwards and upwards...next seemingly pointless question...plugs :D

Just checking if my old travel adaptor will work over there or if I need to get a new one and I can't remember what countries it's good for.

So what are your electrical plugs like...square-pin, flat-pin, round-pin...2-pin, 3-pin ??? :-??

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 pm

JAS wrote:ok onwards and upwards...next seemingly pointless question...plugs :D

Just checking if my old travel adaptor will work over there or if I need to get a new one and I can't remember what countries it's good for.

So what are your electrical plugs like...square-pin, flat-pin, round-pin...2-pin, 3-pin ??? :-??

Regards
JAS

http://electricaloutlet.org/type-i
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby JAS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Quichey wrote:
JAS wrote:ok onwards and upwards...next seemingly pointless question...plugs :D

Regards
JAS

http://electricaloutlet.org/type-i

Thanks Quichey exactly what I was looking for.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Just found this site which might prove useful...

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure. ... index.aspx

Yay more list making...can take, can't take, hand luggage, hold luggage :lol: can never have too many lists.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby JAS » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 pm

JAS wrote:Just found this site which might prove useful...

http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure. ... index.aspx

Yay more list making...can take, can't take, hand luggage, hold luggage :lol: can never have too many lists.

Regards
JAS

...and it sure has already cos I didn't know this...

duty free liquids, aersols and gels purchased at the airport and delivered to the boarding gate for the passenger. No other duty free will be permitted (e.g. duty free purchased at Heathrow will not be permitted through Singapore)

Note to self...change outward bound Aberdeen/Heathrow shopping list to read Kuala Lumpur (hopefully) shopping list :shock: :lol:

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Went through all this yesterday JAS, I threw my baby brother on a jet plane at sparrows fart this morning, but he didn't leave Sydney until around 2.30pm today.. you should have him at 5.25am Thursday (your time :D )

Can you please let me know if you hear of any stories about 3 Aussie blokes and 1 Aussie chick getting arrested :roll: :lol: ;)

Ta :D
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2155 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Travel