USA travel tips

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Re: USA travel tips

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm considering Hawaii, from what Ive quickly read the best time to go temperature wise and cost wise is in the middle of our winters, do people that have been there agree with that?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2059 times
Been liked: 3912 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:35 pm

i was brought up in the country so would love to see some the scenery but really going there for the bright lights and action it has to offer ... Really looking forward to catching as much sport as we can.
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby PhilH » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Last went to US when I was 8 .... plan to go back some time for a sports oddessy trip
#1 thing on the list - Green Bay Packers home game at Lambeau Field, Green Bay Wisconsin
then would love to see some baseball, college football & canadian football as schedules permit.
alas the only time all this is on is September .. SANFL finals time.

Also want to go back to upstate New York where I stayed last time, visit Washington, Chicago, Milwaukee
NFL Hall of Fame in Canton Ohio, Edmonton and other places on the West Coast.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby the big bang » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:51 am

Freo HeaveHo wrote:Me and my partner are looking at doing a 6 month stint in the states end next year . she is going to do a uni transfer and complete her degree there while i try to work as much as i can then travel afterwards till the money runs out

There are heaps of buddy uni's that hers is linked with . we are going to a seminar in few weeks to get more info on it . was just wondering if anyone has done this before. Got no clue as to suitable place to base ourselves for that time having never been to america before.

Are jobs easy to obtain there ??? Im a tradesman but got no clue how ill go saving with earnings compared to cost of living.

Very surprised at all the negative feedback on LA too .... was def on our to do list. for no other reason than its LA i guess and seeing the Lakers play

would appreciate any help !!!

DO IT!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:38 am

Wedgie wrote:I'm considering Hawaii, from what Ive quickly read the best time to go temperature wise and cost wise is in the middle of our winters, do people that have been there agree with that?

I've been there 4 times. Twice in June, once in Nov and most recently July/Aug last year.

Temp wise, it'll be warm but less humid during out winter. Cost wise - it'll be cheaper too.

Activities will be impacted though, as the southern swells that push up during May-August make some of the best snorkelling spots (Hanouma bay, Molokini island) a bit rough and the water murky. There's generally a better swell in and around Honolulu during our winter. During August last year, there was a monster swell of around 2.5 meters off Waikiki beach, which was massive for that area.

A benefit is that the Maui north shore is quiet and some of the bays are great for snorkelling and swimming with turtles, wheras at other times of the year, those same beaches are pounded by 5m+ swells.

Bottom line - i'd definitely go back in our winter, but the best time of year IMO is Oct-Nov.

Oh and make sure you go to at least Maui. The big island is also magnificent. The novelty of honolulu wears off after a while.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby fisho mcspaz » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:02 pm

I travelled all over the eastern US in a truck for half of 2004 - here's some bits and pieces that may or may not be useful:

1. If you are visiting the US in our summer/their winter, avoid Atlanta, GA and the surrounding region. Beautiful in summer, dead in winter. It doesn't snow often in that part of Georgia but the weather is bitterly cold and the winds are rough. Also, most of the sights are closed during winter, like the zoo and Six Flags. The botanic garden is still open but it's about a tenth the size of the one in Adelaide. However, there is a gay tapas bar named Gilbert's in the eastern CBD that I highly recommend in any season.

2. Best thing I did the whole time I was in America: rented a car and drove the length of the Florida Keys. There are about sixty* of these little islands all connected by a giant causeway. It was an amazing experience - so relaxing as well, as opposed to catching a plane to Key West from Orlando or Miami! Gorgeous weather and mile after mile of pristine blue water, forests of palms, hibiscus hedges lining the highway... Unlike Miami, the Keys have a really laid-back, artsy sort of feel to them. I walked down the main drag of Key West at night - in addition to the restaurants and bars lining the street, there were nearly as many galleries with various arts, crafts and sculptures, plus this open enclosure with all these snakes and other reptiles in it (and a macaw). Lots of Spanish music and fairy lights (and jelly shots for about fifty cents at this wooden shack of a bar - woooooo! ;) ).

*There are actually about 1500 but I'm only counting the big ones. ;)

3. Beautiful countryside - that is, in Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The mountains are just breathtaking. States I could happily bypass (in the immortal words of the ex: 'Ain't nothin' but cow shit and corn fields'): Iowa, Indiana, parts of Ohio, parts of Kentucky, Kansas, Missouri.

4. Do not drink the beer, the beer has gone bad! :ymsick: Some of the liquor stores import Aussie beer (not Fosters, that s*** is everywhere) - I suggest you find one that does. ;) Otherwise I'd say Michelob is the best of a bad lot.

5. It's a franchise restaurant but an absolute winner: Locos Bar and Grill. I think it only exists in the south-eastern states though. Also, every single seafood place that I went to over there was terrific, and very reasonably priced. I agree with what schimma said - stay away from the fast-food joints, they're revolting. Especially this one called Hardee's - I think they made it to the papers here with some vile burger that contained eighty-eight grams of fat in it. That being said, Taco Bell is good tucker for hangovers.

6. Watch out for the price tags on grocery items - they only show the 'before tax' price. I did a full shop once and thought I was being really economical, and then at the checkout it was about $15 more than I'd expected.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby redandblack » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree with you about the Keys, fisho. I've driven right around Florida and the coast of Georgia and South Carolina and I rate the Florida Keys highly.

Southern Louisiana is also really nice.

The high point ofm an American trip, though, as I keep repeating, is to just drive out to the deserts for a few weeks. You'll see enough to fill a lot of your world top 20 sights and see a different side to the USA. Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, California, Wyoming, Washington State, Idaho, etc, etc....

Fantastic.
redandblack

Postby pels » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:41 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'm considering Hawaii, from what Ive quickly read the best time to go temperature wise and cost wise is in the middle of our winters, do people that have been there agree with that?

I've been there 4 times. Twice in June, once in Nov and most recently July/Aug last year.

Temp wise, it'll be warm but less humid during out winter. Cost wise - it'll be cheaper too.

Activities will be impacted though, as the southern swells that push up during May-August make some of the best snorkelling spots (Hanouma bay, Molokini island) a bit rough and the water murky. There's generally a better swell in and around Honolulu during our winter. During August last year, there was a monster swell of around 2.5 meters off Waikiki beach, which was massive for that area.

A benefit is that the Maui north shore is quiet and some of the bays are great for snorkelling and swimming with turtles, wheras at other times of the year, those same beaches are pounded by 5m+ swells.

Bottom line - i'd definitely go back in our winter, but the best time of year IMO is Oct-Nov.

Oh and make sure you go to at least Maui. The big island is also magnificent. The novelty of honolulu wears off after a while.

Been there twice Aug & Oct and both times weather was great, bit hotter in Aug and cheaper. .Definitely go to one of the other islands , We went Maui and that was fantastic, so much more to see than just honolulu.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Pat Malone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:41 am

southee wrote:Hey Guys,

Looking to plan a trip to the US later in the year. Just wondered if anyone had any tips of the best places to go and see. Not just looking for the typical places like Disneyland etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :wink:

Agree with Dutchy, hire a car in San Fran and drive down the coast to LA. Most flights from Oz go straight to LA so best bet is to fly direct to LA and then straight up to San Fran. San Fran is awesome, plenty to see and do, top 2 or 3 places I have ever been. You don't really need to stay in LA proper, Santa Monica or Venice beach are really nice, or you could head to Anaheim where Disneyworld is, and more importantly the home stadium for the LA Angels. From LA Vegas would be the next destination, probably worth driving here also as it's only 3 or 4 hours from LA and is a nice deserty drive. I haven't seen much of the eastern states but wouldn't recommend Miami, seemed a
bit dirty and overrated for my liking.
Pat Malone
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Swooper16 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Bump.

Heading to the States in mid October for about 5 weeks. So if anyone has any tips, traps or just good old fashioned travel advice I would obviously love to hear it.

Will be spending time in LA-CHICAGO-NY-ORL-MIAMI-VEGAS-SAN FRAN (& FIJI on the way home).

Have got the accommodation all sorted but would be keen to hear peoples recommendations on tours, sights and also anything that might better avoiding in any of those cities.
Swooper16
League - Best 21

Been liked: 2 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Travel