Operation Wombat

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Operation Wombat

Postby JAS » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:45 am

OK time for you lot to do some work :lol: ;)

My long awaited trip to Adelaide is now in the planning stages and I'm just waiting for next years fixtures before I start booking flights etc.

While I wait and because the only Adelaide guide book I've found (Lonely Planet) hasn't been updated since 2005 I thought you'd be the ideal people to put forward a suggestion list of things to do and see whilst over there.

My 'to do and stuff in the pipeline' list so far is...

1. Redlegs, Redlegs, Redlegs obviously
2. State museum and gallery for anything Mawson/Antarctica and in general.
3. Port Dock Brewery
4. Mt Gambier
5. Wilpena/Flinders
6. Adelaide 5-in-1 Pass thingy...Zoo, Central Market tour etc

So what do you recommend??? I'm only going to be there for about 2 weeks around the beginning of May but feel free to suggest anything really cos even if it's not my sort of thing it might provide ideas for others who have visitors or have just forgotten what's on their own doorstep (...and we're all guilty of that) :D

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Operation Wombat

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am

JAS wrote:OK time for you lot to do some work :lol: ;)

My long awaited trip to Adelaide is now in the planning stages and I'm just waiting for next years fixtures before I start booking flights etc.

While I wait and because the only Adelaide guide book I've found (Lonely Planet) hasn't been updated since 2005 I thought you'd be the ideal people to put forward a suggestion list of things to do and see whilst over there.

My 'to do and stuff in the pipeline' list so far is...

1. Redlegs, Redlegs, Redlegs obviously
2. State museum and gallery for anything Mawson/Antarctica and in general.
3. Port Dock Brewery
4. Mt Gambier
5. Wilpena/Flinders
6. Adelaide 5-in-1 Pass thingy...Zoo, Central Market tour etc

So what do you recommend??? I'm only going to be there for about 2 weeks around the beginning of May but feel free to suggest anything really cos even if it's not my sort of thing it might provide ideas for others who have visitors or have just forgotten what's on their own doorstep (...and we're all guilty of that) :D

Regards
JAS

With a list like that, I'd suggest you see the Redlegs and then go to Melbourne or Sydney
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Psyber » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 am

I can organise you a free trip to and entry to the open plains Zoo at Monarto, JAS, and possibly one of their internal mini-bus trips into the pens, like the "African Safari" they run.
[I have a free pass and a guest pass.]

PS: Ignore Mr Beefy, I lived in Melbourne from 1999 to 2009 and chose to return to the Adelaide Hills when I had nothing to tie me to Melbourne any more.
I've also been to Sydney on 5 occasions and am not in a rush to go again - only 2 trips were voluntary in my adulthood. ;)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dirko » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

Take in the "winery scene" at the Barossa or McLaren Vale.

Kangarood Island is a must see. Inbreds and lost of Seals :)

Cafe Villi's for a fine dining experience. Pie Floater with a Kitchener Bun washed down with a Iced Coffee :tonqe:

Head up to the Riverland, say hello to Dogwatcher and Co, and do a River Cruise on a Paddle Steamer

When at the Port Dock, do the Dolphin Cruise. $5 for 2.5 hours and Dolphins everywhere.
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

SJABC wrote:Take in the "winery scene" at the Barossa or McLaren Vale.

Kangarood Island is a must see. Inbreds and lost of Seals :)

Cafe Villi's for a fine dining experience. Pie Floater with a Kitchener Bun washed down with a Iced Coffee :tonqe:

Head up to the Riverland, say hello to Dogwatcher and Co, and do a River Cruise on a Paddle Steamer

When at the Port Dock, do the Dolphin Cruise. $5 for 2.5 hours and Dolphins everywhere.

I second all those suggestions. Plus:

Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills is quite cool.

Mannum on the River has a great park to sit and have lunch. If you have a decent budget (of the bloody GBP picks up a bit :evil: ) and a few travel buddies, I'd highly recommend hiring a houseboat and motoring from Mannum up to Big Bend, which is spectacular at sunset. But Jabber's river cruise rec is a great option too.

KI is apparently beautiful and very unique. I've not been, but it's next on my holiday list.

In Adelaide, I'd highly recommend going to the Coopers Ale House for a pint of Pale/Sparkling Ale to wash down the biggest Chicken Parmigiana you're ever likely to see. It's an Adelaide institution IMO - but not quite at the level of a pie floater.

Glenelg is great. Nice beach, the Grand hotel looks stright out onto it. Jetty Rd has some decent places for dinner too.

Wilpena Pound/Flinders is a great idea. I found a great website where you can hire a 4 wheel drive kitted out with absolutely everything you could possibly need for the ultimate off-raod camping adventure, which would allow you to really get amongst it in the Flinders. This is also high on my holiday wish list.

If you're insistant on going to Mt Gambier, perhaps take more time actually getting there than being there and visit some coastal towns along the Coorong. Robe is great. I'd highly recommend continuing onwards to the Great Ocean Road - there are so many highlights along the way, it's a not to be missed trip IMO.

Back in SA, the York Peninsula is pretty cool.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:00 pm

if goin mt gambier visit caves along the way and around the region.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11960 times
Been liked: 3652 times

Postby JAS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks guys some great ideas there...keep 'em coming :D

I don't think the houseboat would be on the cards. Sounds nice but funds and time are limited...yep I'm keeping a nervous eye on the exchange rate DA 8-[

Like the sound of the Coopers Ale House and I always try to eat local when I travel so plan to try Aussie institutions like Parmigiana and your famous pies although I'll bet they've changed a bit from the ones my old man has always raved about from the 1950s (no floater for me though...don't like pea soup :-& )

I think a 4WD day trip/safari thing on the Flinders trip might be in the plans but not camping...never been a 'sleep outdoors and eat what you can kill' type unless I have too...that's men's work and why god invented them ;)

Although still in the early planning stage I think the Mt Gambier trip is intended to show me as much as possible en route like the caves and the blue lake and vineyards etc...ooooh and the big lobster :D and to visit a forumite for an Aussie roast lunch.

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby Dirko » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Aussie Dollar has dropped JAS, so exchange rate is looking great for you.
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JAS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 pm

SJABC wrote:Aussie Dollar has dropped JAS, so exchange rate is looking great for you.

:shock: Untill about a year ago it was just over 2 dollars to the pound. Last week it was 1.6 dollars (actually tourist rates would have been a bit lower than that) and that can make quite a difference to a hotel bill :?

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 pm

blue lake has a dark tinge in winter but still good to look at.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JAS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:blue lake has a dark tinge in winter but still good to look at.

:lol: that'll make me easy to spot. I kept an eye on the temps there in early May and I reckon it was about what we have now. Today is around 18C and it's t-shirt and shorts for everyone here :lol:

Regards
JAs

JAS
Coach

Postby AFLflyer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:09 am

C'mon wombat, camping is the best way to see this state, clear skies, camp fire, wine! I love SA, Fleirieu peninsula you can't beat, Mclaren vale (BEST wine region in the state) Beautiful beaches Pt Willunga and carricaklinga the best. Deep Creek for your Nature and pristine wilderness
Old favs like Victor and Pt Elliot, and how about a long drive a long the sand to the Murray mouth at Goolwa!

Don't forget Claire Valley, KI, Flinders and Yorke peninsula, hey a walk from seacliff to Glenelg is a good way to spend a day.

i should work for SATC, they need to push this state more.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby JAS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:19 am

AFLflyer wrote:C'mon wombat,

Don't you call me 'wombat' :shock: I'm not short and fat with a hairy nose...ok I'm not short...well not as short as Kylie ;) Called the trip Op Wombat cos given my past life it had to have a military sounding name and the hairy-nosed wombat is your State emblem (fauna) and it's one of the animals I want to meet on a behind the scenes tour of the zoo :D it's also a bit of fun for the godbrats to have a name for it.

Sorry but the camping is a dead cert 'no' due to too many family holidays from hell. I don't drive but will probably try to fit in Glenelg and a few other places that are easy to reach by bus or train. Won't be doing anywhere that would involve more flying though...will already have taken me a train and at least 3 possibly 4 flights to get to Adelaide and the same to get home. The Flinders and Mt Gambier trips are the suggestion of my 'tour manager' who has a car and will be rewarded with her own weight in Tunnocks dark choc waffers :lol:

You've added few potential names to the list but don't 'push the State' too much until I've got a deal on a hotel...don't want you suddenly becoming too popular and pushing up the prices ;)

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby redandblack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:11 am

JAS, I agree with Flyer about the Fleurieu Peninsula.

If you want a nice, easy way to start your trip once you've seen a bit of the city, take a drive to Victor Harbor. Once you're out of the southern suburbs, wander down the coast past Port Willunga, Aldinga Beach (stop for a break and drive your car on to the lovely beach), Sellicks and then to Victor via any of several routes depending on the time you have.

Stop for a lunch at Whaler's Inn (nice, peaceful, good quality casual restaurant overlooking the Bay), then drive back through Willunga and the McLaren Vale vineyards.

A nice, easy round trip, with wonderful coastal views, alongside beaches, vineyards and farmland.
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:21 am

I'd be happy to show you around the Adelaide Hills one of the days, JAS, if we can make the timing work with everything on your agenda.
I am not working these days so my time is flexible, and I know them well as I had a farm up here for 10 years as well as living here again since my return from Melbourne.
That would include a visit to Hahndorf which is only a 15 minute drive from my home base area, and I can introduce you to a local or two.
I'm also only about 18 minutes by car out of the Adelaide CBD so I could pick you up there, saving time and costs.

Apropos the Flinders Ranges, for those who don't fancy camping Rawnsley Park cabins used to be pleasant - though I haven't been there lately.
http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/
http://www.ritas-outback-guide.com/rawnsley-park.html

I can also get you into both Zoos free.
http://www.zoossa.com.au/
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby JAS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks R&B...the Fleurieu and Victor are certainly on the cards (that might even be the home-cooked roast day. I think that's near McLaren) although not the driving on beaches part...sorry but I live by the sea and couldn't be more against that.

Thanks for the offers Psyber, very kind, but the zoo is already included on the 5-in1 pass which I'm getting anyway and the behind the scenes tour is my birhtday pressie. I have the transport side fairly well sorted out thanks to my brilliant 'tour manager' and a couple of others and I also like to include some sightseeing on my own. I'm sure we'll get to meet at the footy though cos those games will be carved in stone as it's the whole point of the trip. I'll be the uber pale one standing with the MONSFAW gang :lol:

Regards
JAS

JAS
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:37 pm

if victor is on the cards and going the coastal route as red and black has suggested also take a break down at maslins beach
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Oh, so JAS can see some nude locals... I'm sure she'll be thrilled :lol:

Don't know about my weights worth in Tunnocks JAS, that's a helluva excess baggage charge you'll be paying there ;)

A day trip down to Victor is a definite and through work can get cheap rates at Wilpena Pound resort, so whilst it'll actually only be an over night trip, half the fun will be getting there so JAS can see more of our great state along the way.

Same goes with the Mount - a trip to go and see a lake and the rest of the trip will be taking in the Coorong and coast and coming back via Naracoorte and the Coonawarra to pick up a drop of the local grape juice 8)

They're the only 2 overnight trips planned, if we do KI, it'll be a day trip, over at 7am back at 9pm ( I get that for next to nix too..all about the perks of the job ;)
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Footy Chick wrote:They're the only 2 overnight trips planned, if we do KI, it'll be a day trip, over at 7am back at 9pm ( I get that for next to nix too..all about the perks of the job ;)

Can you get it for all of us too? :lol:

I've sadly never been to KI. It's a disgrace considering how full my passport is. Will be heading over by Oct/Nov though.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Don't worry DA, I haven't been since I was about 10 either... a looooooong time ago :lol:
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2155 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Travel