Just add to the list

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Just add to the list

Postby redandblack » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:36 pm

As great as world cities are, there are so many wonderful places, some well-known, some not so well-known, that are out of the cities.

I'll start the list:

USA:

Bryce Canyon, Utah. About a day's drive from the Grand Canyon, simply superb - one of the great sights of the world.

Yellowstone NP & the Grand Tetons - well known, of course, but worth every moment.

Monument Valley.

EUROPE

Hallstatt, Austria.- small train, then a ferry across the lake to this World Heritage village.

Guimaraes, Portugal - Medieval, castle, beautiful.

Freiburg-in-Briesgau, Black Forest.

Rothenberg Ob Der Tauber - Romantic Road, Germany.

Berchtesgarten, (Hitler’s Eyrie), Germany

Obidos, Portugal .

Coastal villages, NW Scotland

CANAL TOWNS

Bruges, Belgium

Annecy, France

LAKES

Day trip on Lake Maggiore, Italy

3 or 4 day trip on the Finnish Lakes

Lake District, England

OUT OF THE ORDINARY

Night procession at Lourdes, France.

Drive between Kathmandu and Pokhara, Nepal

Anywhere Quichey has been in Africa.

MEDIEVAL

Carcassonne, France – stunning

AS GOOD AS IT GETS

Boat trip on the Li River, China.

Postal ferry on the smaller Norwegian Fjiords.

MOUNTAINS

Zermatt (Matterhorn), Switzerland

Picos DÉuropa, Northern Spain

Chamonix, Mt Blanc, France

Canadian Rockies

Cabot Trail, Novia Scotia

Not so high, but the Scottish Highlands are gorgeous.

Sorry to go on so long, but we all love travel and there are just so many wonderful places to see, so this list is a start.
redandblack

Re: Just add to the list

Postby godoubleblues » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:40 pm

Halong Bay in Vietnam
godoubleblues
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby devilsadvocate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:56 pm

R&B - I reckon Africa travels aside, we must have been to all the same places!

Will do my list when I have more time.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Has liked: 3 times

Postby JAS » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:59 am

One that springs instantly to mind for me is Petra in Jordan.

Most people have seen the Indiana Jones bit where he races up to the 'treasury' on horseback but in reality the site is vast.

One of my favourite parts was climbing the steps to the top of the mountain at the very back to see the 'monastery'...well worth the effort and if you're not up to the climb you can do it by donkey which looked terrifying as it's very steep and winding...

The little red arrow I've drawn in is pointing to a nutter who we suddenly realised had actually climbed the bloody thing. This should give you an idea of scale...

To my right, out of shot, is a bar...yes as in beers :lol: and behind me is a path to a large ledge guarded by a tourist policeman that ends with a sheer drop into an extinct volcano...reason for the policeman is that some weird Dutch cult decided several years back that they are destined to commit suicide by throwing themselves into it and a few turn up several times throughout the season to try so they have to have a guard there. The poor copper was very sweet and bored...made me and my guide a cuppa and shared his biscuits :D

Regards
JAS
You can't be a pirate if you don't have a beard. I said so. MY boat, MY rules.

We haven't got a plank. Just ******* jump

Trust no one The truth is everyone is going to let you down you eventually
JAS
Coach

Postby Dirko » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:57 am

Catch a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then meander up to Chang Rai via bus. Spend a few days around this region in the Thai mountains fantastic.

Then cross the river from Thailand to Laos, board a long boat and take a trip down the mighty Mekong to a place called Pak Beng.

A fantastic village, with limited power supply (3 hours a day), but a fantastic spot to enjoy the river from.

We stayed here;

And got food from the market (but not the Bat);

A "restaurant" across from the lodge, did the best food. Fresh as. Well the cook made her man go to the markets and bring back all the food including chicken (alive!). Told us to wait for a bit for the chook as she signalled it needed to be slaughtered. Magnificent !!
And Beer Laos is a fine drop to wash it down with !
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Here's my start:

Kata Noi Beach, Phuket Thailand. It's the southernmost beach on the western side of the island and has the Kata Thani hotel on its shores - miles away from the hussle of Patong. Best hotel I've stayed in. There's a cracking little bamboo and log restaurant built into the hills on the side of a road above the hotel. About a 60 min walk uphill. It's like a Bob Marley tribute theme, but sheesh can they cook and the view at sunset is 2nd to none. Cheap beer too. Heaven!

UK:

Woolacombe/Ilfracombe, Devon, England - Amazing little town with cracking surf and some amazing old little country pubs. the caravan park did the best hangover cure all you can eat brekky too. It was a fiver, but it was actually top quality stuff.

Richmond/Richmond Park, West London - I used to go mountain biking for hours in the park. It's like a forrest oasis within London, complete with deer, foxes, badgers, moles and various other fauna. After biking, it would be 7-8 pints on the banks of the Thames listenening to live music and people watching. Then a pissed ride back home - 15kms, often broken up with a chunder!

Whitby, UK - Spectacular harbour town where Captain Cook grew up and learned his trade and where the Endeavour was built and launched. There's an amazing 15km return coastal walk to Robin Hoods Bay.

Once Brewed - The site of the longest, still in tact section of Hadrian's Wall complete with milecastles and Roman Fortress ruins. Walked a 32km round trip aroun here in one day. This is an amazing piece of ancient engineering.

In London - Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. A pub built in 1667 after the great fire. It's virtually unchanged today. Dickens spent lots of time writing in there. Great food, awesome Saneul Smith beers, stunning historical pub.

EUROPE:

Ypres, Belgium - Menin Gate - Churchill said "A more sacred place for the British race does not exist in the world". Lots of cemetaries, small and large filled with Allied soldiers from WW1 are found on the small country roads. It's quite emotional walking up and back, seeing thousands of unknown soldiers graves and many known with ages as young as 14.

Carcassonne - Agree R&B a highlight of Europe.

San Sebastian - quite well known, but it's just too good not to mention. the bars are covered with platters of gourmet finger foods and the beer/sangria slides down a treat and the locals are super freindly. Great beaches/walks/cobbled streets with amazing buildings. It's well off the beaten track, but well worth the effort!

Cascais/Estoril, Lisbon, Portugal. Best overall spot in the world IMO. GO THERE IF YOU GET THE CHANCE!!

Lagos, Portugal - Amazing history with a 16th centuray fort in nearby Sagres. This place has a cracking mix of old and new, beaches/shopping/historical attractions and the nightlife is second to none.

Sevilla - It's big and well known, but it's just a great city with outstanding history, great architecture, excellent food and ultra freindly people.

Tarifa - Right at the bottom of Spain, it's the windiest place on the planet. But the beach is still amazing and the opportunity to participate in Kite surfing/wind surfing presents every day. The bars in the tiny cobbled streets were filled with locals and seasoned travellers all up for a good chat and excessive consumption of the good stuff.

Erfoud, Morocco - we jumped in a battered land rover and headed to the Algeria border. After visiting a beduoin family (mind boggling how they live), we went onto some HUGE sand dunes in a textbook Saharah scene and watched the sunset. I've never seen anything like it. So hot, so much sand, such a beautiful sunset, then crystal clear night with cool air and heat from the sand.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby redandblack » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Perhaps we have been following each other, da :?

Great trip to the dunes at Erfoud :)

Marrakesh is also great.

On the other side of the world, one of the best drives I've ever done - Skagway to Whitehorse in the Yukon - sensational.

One a bit more ''cruisey", but really beautiful, is Glacier Bay, Alaska on a clear day.
redandblack

Postby devilsadvocate » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 pm

redandblack wrote:Perhaps we have been following each other, da :?

Marrakesh is also great.

On the other side of the world, one of the best drives I've ever done - Skagway to Whitehorse in the Yukon - sensational.

One a bit more ''cruisey", but really beautiful, is Glacier Bay, Alaska on a clear day.

WOW!

I lived in Banff, Alberta for 7 months last year. I planned to buy a truck and drive to Alaska, camping along the way, particularly in the Yukon. Long story short, Insurance was a bastard and almost as expensive as the truck I was going to buy. Plus they said they would not insure me for any drive in the Yukon.

I'll do it in a 4x4 motor home one day! I want to drive Canada coast to coast!

Agree too - Marrakech was great. It was 55 degrees when I was there. The market was amazing. Bloody snakes though!
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:22 am

I hated Marrakesh. We left after spending only 16 hours there.

I rate Chefchaouen and Essaouira.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby AFLflyer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 am

Quichey wrote:I hated Marrakesh. We left after spending only 16 hours there.

staying in the medina in Marrakesh was great, the night bizzare unbelievable. great city i reckon. Three days was enough though.

Ess also great. so much blue.
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am

AFLflyer wrote:

staying in the medina in Marrakesh was great, the night bizzare unbelievable. great city i reckon. Three days was enough though.

Ess is great. Fresh seafood cooked on open air grill, a sweeping and sandy beach, and the never-ending supply of magic macaroons :lol:
Q.
Coach

Postby Mic » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 am

Marrakesh is also great.

My day of cruising through Glacier Bay is my favourite ever day of scenic sightseeing.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby devilsadvocate » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 am

AFLflyer wrote:

Essa was fantastic. I really likes Fes too.

Tangiers was a complete shithole though. Cassablanca wasn't far behind, although the Hassan II Mosque is mighty impressive.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby AFLflyer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:34 am

Quichey wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:

Ess is great. Fresh seafood cooked on open air grill, a sweeping and sandy beach, and the never-ending supply of magic macaroons :lol:

haha, plenty of magic muffins too!
the fresh seafood there was So cheap. did you go to the place where you pick out your produce from the market like stalls, then they cook it all up for you. awesome. the old city was great
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 am

AFLflyer wrote:haha, plenty of magic muffins too!
the fresh seafood there was So cheap. did you go to the place where you pick out your produce from the market like stalls, then they cook it all up for you. awesome. the old city was great

Yep, did the open air cook up. Sat with a family from France and they kept trying to feed us - we must have looked a little destitute.

The hippy vibe of the place is played up a little, but I think I liked it like that - you can't help but get swept up in it.
Q.
Coach

Postby redandblack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:18 pm

devilsadvocate wrote:Erfoud, Morocco - we jumped in a battered land rover and headed to the Algeria border. After visiting a beduoin family (mind boggling how they live), we went onto some HUGE sand dunes in a textbook Saharah scene and watched the sunset. I've never seen anything like it. So hot, so much sand, such a beautiful sunset, then crystal clear night with cool air and heat from the sand.

Is this the family, da?

Are these the dunes?

redandblack

Postby AFLflyer » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:43 pm

redandblack wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:Erfoud, Morocco - we jumped in a battered land rover and headed to the Algeria border. After visiting a beduoin family (mind boggling how they live), we went onto some HUGE sand dunes in a textbook Saharah scene and watched the sunset. I've never seen anything like it. So hot, so much sand, such a beautiful sunset, then crystal clear night with cool air and heat from the sand.

Is this the family, da?

Are these the dunes?

nice pics - ! ah the memories!
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Postby redandblack » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Mic wrote:

Marrakesh is also great.

My day of cruising through Glacier Bay is my favourite ever day of scenic sightseeing.

It's really sensational, isn't it, Mic.
redandblack

Postby devilsadvocate » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:04 pm

redandblack wrote:

Is this the family, da?

Are these the dunes?

That looks similar, but not the same family - had a look back through my pics last night.

Will try to upload some in the pics thread.
devilsadvocate
Coach

Postby sherminator » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:38 am

My favourite place is Turkey. I spent about 2 months there back in 2001. The place has everything from ancient ruins to golden beaches. There is something for everyone.

My Highlights/fond memories:

Istanbul: Sitting in front of the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia on a balmy evening during the call to prayer. The sounds echoing across the city were kind of tranquil and soothing against the normal hustle and bustle.

Gallipoli: As a young man gaining an appreciation of how lucky life has been to me particularly when you see headstones for 16 year old boys K.I.A.

Ephesus Ruins: Amazing that there are buildings thousands of years old still standing (sort of!)

Pammukale: Amazing calcified white cliffs in the middle of nowhere with soothing hot springs.

Oludeniz: Beautiful blue lagoon. Great scenery.

Butterfly Valley: A peaceful, beautiful sanctuary away from the British and German tourists.

Feluca Cruise: A 3 day, 2 night relaxing cruise from Fethiye to Olympos. There were 7 of us on the trip- one couple, myself and 4 absolutely stunning single women in bikinis who spent all day sunbathing. Sherminator had a very tanned back as he dared not turn over as the views were so good :oops:

Olympos: A bit of a hippy sort of place in the middle of nowhere. Stayed in a treehouse with my new friends! Spent the days at the beach and the nights at the Bull Bar at Kadirs treehouses. Great times!

Cappodocia: Was expecting to see Fred and Barney around every corner. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Lowlights:

Was there for ANZAC Day so had to witness lots of disrespectful yobbos and bogans who regularly brought shame to our country. News broadcasters and commentators always marvel at the number of young people who make the 'pilgrimage' to ANZAC Cove, but never show them pissed and passed out in cemetaries, spewing on the streets of Istanbul etc.

German tourists wearing socks and sandals and budgie smugglers EVERYWHERE!! Wrong on so many levels!
sherminator
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Olympic Dam

Next

Board index   General Talk  Travel