BrisVegas Baby!

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

BrisVegas Baby!

Postby Gingernuts » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 pm

Howdy folks,

Popping up to Brisbane for a concert and have a couple of days to spend wandering around. I've never been there (driven around it a couple of times!) - what are some of the best things to see and do?

Thanks in advance. :D
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Re: BrisVegas Baby!

Postby Bully » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm

go to south bank . alot of things to do and see there

Also the movie world and water world parks are on the way to the gold coast if you get a chance. Go to the story bridge hotel and have a few beers, they have coopers on tap.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Gingernuts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm

Bulldog wrote:go to south bank . alot of things to do and see there

Also the movie world and water world parks are on the way to the gold coast if you get a chance. Go to the story bridge hotel and have a few beers, they have coopers on tap.

Thanks mate, I've heard south bank is where it's at. Will check out the story bridge hotel too if I get the chance.

Already done the theme parks, they were/are a top day out. :D
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby A Mum » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Did you 'do' Outback Spectacular though??

It's a must..lol.
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm

A Mum wrote:Did you 'do' Outback Spectacular though??

It's a must..lol.

Nope, didn't get to that one. Didn't really think it would be my cup of tea, but your review in a nother thread makes me think I might give it a go next time I'm up that way.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Bulldog wrote:go to south bank . alot of things to do and see there

Thanks mate, I've heard south bank is where it's at. Will check out the story bridge hotel too if I get the chance.

Already done the theme parks, they were/are a top day out. :D

try sunny coast its also good
Bully
Coach

Postby FattyLumpkin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah - if you have a day up your sleeve and access to a car - plus if the weather is good (unlike now!), get yourself to a Sunny Coast beach. Probably recommend Moololaba or Noosa (plenty of eating spots. Actually, if there for just a day - the surf clubs do ok food, but the view is brilliant).

If you stretch to an overnighter, I'd recommend Straddy Island and spent it at Cylinder Beach, making sure you spend considerable time at the pub with the best view in the world - Pt Lookout. Need to catch a ferry across, but can then bus it on the island. Not sure of timetables, but you may be able to do it in a day. Beach best pre-lunch usually)

In Briz - even sitting on an old Brisbane Ferry plying its trade up the river (got to find one which takes awhile), or the CityCat from Uni of Q right down to Bretts Wharf (you can get on from Southbank). Night-time - do the Valley, or see whats on at the Powerhouse (can catch the ferry there too)
With your hands on your head, or the trigger of your gun
FattyLumpkin
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Drop Bear » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 pm

My better half and I are heading up that way at the end of February. Spending 5 nights on the Gold Coast, 2 on the Sunshine Coast and then 2 in Brissy. Can't wait to hit the beach!!
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Interceptor » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Drop Bear wrote:My better half and I are heading up that way at the end of February. Spending 5 nights on the Gold Coast, 2 on the Sunshine Coast and then 2 in Brissy. Can't wait to hit the beach!!

Hope we get some decent weather by then :(

Queensland -the waterlogged state.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Drop Bear » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 pm

Beautiful one day, Flooded the next.
Poor buggers. Hope the weather gives you guys a break, and soon!
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44 am

As the ad says . We are open for business STILL!!
Bully
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm heading there in August now for the Bledisloe Cup match. Have a couple of days up our sleeve and bought we'd take the kids to 2 if the theme parks. Kids have been once before and I've been 3 times but they all chop and change in regard to the best fun with new rides/exhibits, construction going on, etc.
I'm thinking of ruling Seaworld out (kids agreed with this) since it's the furthest to get to and probably ruling Wet and Wild out as it's not that hot at that time of the year and did he water park in Phuket earlier in the year which had no lineups.
That leaves Dreamworld and Movieworld.
Have people been recently?
Recommendations?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Was there this time last year and agree Sea world is the worst of the lot up there.

Movieworld is probably the best allround family park so if I was to pick one that would be it, Dreamworld is just rides really but still great.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2347 times
Been liked: 3615 times

Postby Bully » Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:I'm heading there in August now for the Bledisloe Cup match. Have a couple of days up our sleeve and bought we'd take the kids to 2 if the theme parks. Kids have been once before and I've been 3 times but they all chop and change in regard to the best fun with new rides/exhibits, construction going on, etc.
I'm thinking of ruling Seaworld out (kids agreed with this) since it's the furthest to get to and probably ruling Wet and Wild out as it's not that hot at that time of the year and did he water park in Phuket earlier in the year which had no lineups.
Recommendations?

go to south bank in brisbane, plenty of shops and a big wheel to ride on like the london eye. Great viewing of the CBD. Go to the sunny coast also , visit underwater world and the beaches up there are better then gold coasts.

But the theme parks are ok you can get a family package that is cheap. Visit the story bridge hotel if you have time as they have coopers on tap there.
Bully
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Wed May 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Bully wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I'm heading there in August now for the Bledisloe Cup match. Have a couple of days up our sleeve and bought we'd take the kids to 2 if the theme parks. Kids have been once before and I've been 3 times but they all chop and change in regard to the best fun with new rides/exhibits, construction going on, etc.
Recommendations?

go to south bank in brisbane, plenty of shops and a big wheel to ride on like the london eye. Great viewing of the CBD. Go to the sunny coast also , visit underwater world and the beaches up there are better then gold coasts.

But the theme parks are ok you can get a family package that is cheap. Visit the story bridge hotel if you have time as they have coopers on tap there.

Why go all the way the Brissy to drink coopers? Do the xxxx brewery tour at Milton. When in Rome....
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Bully » Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 pm

go all the way to brissy?? what do you mean?

brisbane is only 60kms north of the theme parks. Your sounding like its 2000kms away or something?

If you like something so much i.e. coopers then why not drink it while your away on holidays. its just a suggestion that he doesnt have to follow? The questionwas asked what to do up here in SEQ?? i was making suggestions.....

considering that its a SA product and its drunk by 9 people out of 10 down there you would think most people would like coopers being from SA??
Bully
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 25, 2011 2:19 pm

I've been to Brizzy dozens of times and up and down the coast.
Not there for a tour, there for a rugby game and 2 theme parks!
Itinerary is get there Thur night, Theme Park Friday, meet the Wallabies at a function Friday night, take it easy Saturday, head to Suncorp and see the Bledisloe Cup match (have premium tix), Sunday head to another Theme Park and Monday come home. Supposed to catch up with a lot of mates too, maybe Saturday lunchtime.

PS I don't understand the attraction people have with southbank, just another group of shops, restaurants and movie cinemas IMHO. I prefer the CBD.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Drop Bear » Wed May 25, 2011 2:44 pm

MatteeG wrote: Why go all the way the Brissy to drink coopers? Do the xxxx brewery tour at Milton. When in Rome....

Pretty good tour IMO. Plus you get to sample 4 butchers at the end.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Wed May 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've been to Brizzy dozens of times and up and down the coast.
Not there for a tour, there for a rugby game and 2 theme parks!
Itinerary is get there Thur night, Theme Park Friday, meet the Wallabies at a function Friday night, take it easy Saturday, head to Suncorp and see the Bledisloe Cup match (have premium tix), Sunday head to another Theme Park and Monday come home. Supposed to catch up with a lot of mates too, maybe Saturday lunchtime.

PS I don't understand the attraction people have with southbank, just another group of shops, restaurants and movie cinemas IMHO. I prefer the CBD.

i dont have an attraction to South bank myself i avoid it like the plague but just something to do if your bored or lost for things to do.
Bully
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Travel