Passport questions

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Passport questions

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Anyone here somewhat of an expert on this issue?
I'm traveling to Europe on my British passport and want to avoid getting an Australian one as well if possible.
I found this information on the internet but I'm not really sure if this means I'm going to have to get an Australian passport or if i can prove I'm an Australian citizen some other way.

To avoid delays at airline check-in and again at the border entry point, Australian citizens who are dual nationals are required to depart and enter Australia on their Australian passport. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia in a foreign passport.

When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.

An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person's identity and citizenship, and provides the holder with unfettered right of entry to Australia.
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Passport questions

Postby Wedgie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Be a lot easier and quicker if you got an Australian passport mate, but it isn't necessary especially if you had something like your birth certificate:

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a person holding a foreign passport claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases. This will invariably cause some delays to the person while the authorities undertake the necessary enquiries.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Just stay over there mate ;)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 722 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Just stay over there mate ;)

Got to get back for the 2011 grand final ;)
''I can't think back to a time where Australia have been so convincingly beaten'' - Mark Taylor in regards to the 2010/11 Ashes series.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 pm

:lol:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby redandblack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:52 am

Wedgie wrote:Be a lot easier and quicker if you got an Australian passport mate, but it isn't necessary especially if you had something like your birth certificate:

An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a person holding a foreign passport claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases. This will invariably cause some delays to the person while the authorities undertake the necessary enquiries.

Totally agree.
redandblack

Postby mick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:21 pm

My Mrs was born in UK and only has a British Passport, from memory you can get a re-entry visa (valid 5 years?) for permanent Australian residents who hold other passports, the cost I think is about equivalent to an Australian passport, so getting an Aussie passport is probably the best option. The UK passport is great for travel around Europe where a passport is required, for one when you arrive in the UK you won't have to stand in line with the colonials :lol: as I did.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Sam_goUUUdogs wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Just stay over there mate ;)

Got to get back for the 2011 grand final ;)

We can send them back over there as well
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Cheers for the advice, I think I'll probably just look at getting the Australian passport to avoid any hassles, obviously being 21 overseas for 2 months, the money will be a tad tight and that's $210 drinking money lost, but oh well :lol:
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Postby redandblack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:45 pm

mick wrote:My Mrs was born in UK and only has a British Passport, from memory you can get a re-entry visa (valid 5 years?) for permanent Australian residents who hold other passports, the cost I think is about equivalent to an Australian passport, so getting an Aussie passport is probably the best option. The UK passport is great for travel around Europe where a passport is required, for one when you arrive in the UK you won't have to stand in line with the colonials :lol: as I did.

I agree and I hope you're a republican after that, mick ;)
redandblack

Postby mick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:28 pm

I was before then. I've tried to unsuccessfully persuade the Mrs to get herself naturalised and an Aussie passport as well. She voted for her majesty in the referendum :lol:
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   General Talk  Travel