Kangaroo Island

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Kangaroo Island

Postby Sploosh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 pm

My wife and I are thinking about a 2 night, 3 day short holiday on KI. We would want to catch the ferry over, and rent a car on the island for self - drive, stay in somewhere clean but not too expesive.

Any ideas? A brochure I picked up over the wekend had that sort of arrangement for about $450 per person. $900 for a couple for 2 nights somewhere that is 'only' a 45 minute ferry trip? Ker-aaaazy, I thought.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Kangaroo Island

Postby AFLflyer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 am

Sploosh wrote:My wife and I are thinking about a 2 night, 3 day short holiday on KI. We would want to catch the ferry over, and rent a car on the island for self - drive, stay in somewhere clean but not too expesive.

Any ideas? A brochure I picked up over the wekend had that sort of arrangement for about $450 per person. $900 for a couple for 2 nights somewhere that is 'only' a 45 minute ferry trip? Ker-aaaazy, I thought.

go for longer!
Like everything book everthing direct! and take your own car you will save heaps. Cheap online sealink fares at the moment.
so many places to stay, try renting a small shack. Vivionne bay area is really nice.
if you go to the north coast, i can reccommend these cabins at stokes bay:

http://www.wavesandwildlife.com.au/
AFLflyer
League - Best 21

Been liked: 3 times

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Great place to visit but as you’ve realised not the cheapest!

Previously stayed at Vivonne Bay. Beautiful area. Also definitely need to check out Flinders Chase NP and some of the smaller beaches up north (Stokes Bay etc). Little Sahara and Seal Bay are also good fun.

I’d suggest spending 3 or 4 nights minimum. A lot of driving involved.(Vivonne Bay is relatively central which helps)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Drop Bear » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Sploosh wrote:My wife and I are thinking about a 2 night, 3 day short holiday on KI. We would want to catch the ferry over, and rent a car on the island for self - drive, stay in somewhere clean but not too expesive.

Check out wotif.com mate. The deals on there will smash that price out of the water.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dirko » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 pm

We stayed here;

http://www.king-george-retreat.com/Welcome.php

Close to the ferry, great little spot. Not the best beach on KI but an easy drive to get to some....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Sploosh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up the links. I want to hire a car over there, rather than take my own, as it's basically brand new and I don't want to take it on KI roads...
Sploosh
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:28 am

Highly recommend Birubi Apartments at Emu Bay - pure luxury with a sensational view.

http://www.birubiholidayhomes.com.au/site/
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Sploosh wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up the links. I want to hire a car over there, rather than take my own, as it's basically brand new and I don't want to take it on KI roads...

My sister lives over there so go a bit.
Given it's supposed to be a tourist attraction, I cringe to think what they think of the roads.

Think the new place would be good to stay but I'd reckon you'd have to be fairly well entrenched in the doghouse to justify the minimum nightly price tag.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Ian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:08 pm

KI's reputation for bad roads stems back before the South Coast Rd was sealed, really, the roads are not that bad anymore, if you do need to drive on dirt just take it a bit slower, I would't think twice about taking my own car there
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 am

still wouldnt want to go to cape bourda though
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times