Travel Cards

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

Travel Cards

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:00 am

Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone have any Travel Card recommendations.

Was just going to go with Commonwealth Bank, as i bank with them and im sure their product is a quality service even if it isn't the best price/exchange rate/fees etc.

Probably would be negligent though not to investigate the options out there though.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Travel Cards

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:17 am

whufc wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone have any Travel Card recommendations.

Was just going to go with Commonwealth Bank, as i bank with them and im sure their product is a quality service even if it isn't the best price/exchange rate/fees etc.

Probably would be negligent though not to investigate the options out there though.

I'm also with the Commonwealth and use their travel card when overseas, has worked well for me in the past. Easy to add funds via their mobile app, so whilst the exchange rates are probably not optimal, the trade off is in the convenience. You'll pay a fee if you use it at an ATM, not sure about other fees though.

Also, travel cards a good idea if you're in places that don't have a cash aspect to their economy (for example, tipping in the US).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:17 pm

Magellan wrote:
whufc wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed before but does anyone have any Travel Card recommendations.

I'm also with the Commonwealth and use their travel card when overseas, has worked well for me in the past. Easy to add funds via their mobile app, so whilst the exchange rates are probably not optimal, the trade off is in the convenience. You'll pay a fee if you use it at an ATM, not sure about other fees though.

Also, travel cards a good idea if you're in places that don't have a cash aspect to their economy (for example, tipping in the US).

I think that you will find there isn't much between the rates being charged on each of the major financial institutions' cards; just use the one you do your general banking with and you should be fine. The only problem is getting back any money you have left on the card when you return. With my bank, you need to submit a form and then wait a few weeks, you can't just transfer it back into your account. On learning that, I just decided to use the card until my balance ran out.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Depending on where you are headed, a Multi Currency Cash Passport could be the way to go.

https://www.cashpassport.com.au/

Pop down to your local RAA shop to get one. Travel Money Oz and some Post Offices also have them.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 pm

We use the one from Travel Money Oz and find it quite good
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:38 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Depending on where you are headed, a Multi Currency Cash Passport could be the way to go.

https://www.cashpassport.com.au/

Pop down to your local RAA shop to get one. Travel Money Oz and some Post Offices also have them.

Have used this one, can recommend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 pm

I just use my two VISA cards, one ANZ and one BSA, as even with the transaction fees the rates seem to stack up fairly well compared with Travel Cards, and any savings are hardly worth the time spent working ut the best deal. I had some issues using the BSA one in Spain but the ANZ one was fine. Everywhere else I've been both were fine.

I used to have an HSBC card which gave very good rates but they insisted I chenge my Internet banking log in every few months, and carry a code generating USB device. Last time I used that was Clandovery in Wales in 2009.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby DOC » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:18 pm

I just use my BSA debit card. Never had a problem. Think the fee for currency conversion was/is 3%.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Board index   General Talk  Travel