Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby MatteeG » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Gday folks,

Its coming around to that time for the car Service- For me that is a 12,000 km service (logbook service).

Had a quote from the dealer of $425, pretty sure I could get cheaper elsewhere.

Anyone recommend someone South of the city- From Morphett Vale to Parkside (Home to work)?

Cheers,

MatteeG
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
User avatar
MatteeG
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4691
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:36 pm
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 406 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby Bully » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:22 am

being a log book service I would think you would need to take it back to the dealer if it was a new car that you bought?

And that 12,000 service is the normal or there abouts for the price quoted
Bully
Coach
 
Posts: 12496
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:28 am
Location: The best place on earth
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby lesthemechanic » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:52 am

There is no need to return to the dealer for servicing of your car. The dealer would like you to believe that, but it is not the case.
As long as you have the car serviced by a qualified mechanic, at a business that has a registered ABN, and the parts & oils are of good quality , your manufacturer warranty MUST be honoured.
I have looked into this numerous times.
Shop around Matee, ask what brand of oil the business will use and the filters etc.
I don't know what car you have , but at 12,000km , they are usually quite a minor service. That all depends if it is a 4wd or a vehicle that maybe has to have the valve clearances adjusted though??
lesthemechanic
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:23 pm
Location: Gawler East S.A.
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:32 am

I thought I'd bump this rather than create another thread.

My VE Commy wagon sounds like the timing chain is about to go. It's throwing all the right/wrong codes which have been diagnosed as timing issues. I've been told that I shouldn't drive it if I start hearing 'knocking' or 'tapping' noises start in the front end. Happy to keep a lookout for that.

Concern is, if it needs to be replaced, the local mob are quoting me 3800. Does anyone know if this can be done cheaper? I don't even mind a backyarder with some spare time on their hands having a crack at it.

Looking at prices of these cars, the price is holding around the 9000 which is what I paid for it.

The car has done 167k.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7673
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 518 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby heater31 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 am

VE engines are a bitch to work on. Poorly designed in terms of easy access to sections and therefore time consuming to work on.
User avatar
heater31
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 15976
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:42 am
Location: the back blocks
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 1168 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:22 am

heater31 wrote:VE engines are a bitch to work on. Poorly designed in terms of easy access to sections and therefore time consuming to work on.


Yeh, hence the cost!

Do you know of anyone though Heater?
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7673
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 518 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am

Whilst in here, on a side note, anyone with older cars I can highly recommend Transteer in Glynde for all your transmission and general mechanical needs. Jason there has done an excellent job with the old XT.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 5750 times
Been liked: 8600 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby heater31 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:28 am

gadj1976 wrote:
heater31 wrote:VE engines are a bitch to work on. Poorly designed in terms of easy access to sections and therefore time consuming to work on.


Yeh, hence the cost!

Do you know of anyone though Heater?
Sorry can't help there.

I know of the VE package issues as I own a VF and according to an Auto Masters I used to take it to told me when I questioned the price and time taken to do a service.

I'm on the hunt for a new mechanic too as I've moved since then.
User avatar
heater31
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 15976
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:42 am
Location: the back blocks
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 1168 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 am

heater31 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
heater31 wrote:VE engines are a bitch to work on. Poorly designed in terms of easy access to sections and therefore time consuming to work on.


Yeh, hence the cost!

Do you know of anyone though Heater?
Sorry can't help there.

I know of the VE package issues as I own a VF and according to an Auto Masters I used to take it to told me when I questioned the price and time taken to do a service.

I'm on the hunt for a new mechanic too as I've moved since then.


Funny you say that, I was going to ask - does the VF have the same types of problems with the timing chain being so expensive and engine light coming on all the time?
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7673
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 518 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby heater31 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:09 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
heater31 wrote:VE engines are a bitch to work on. Poorly designed in terms of easy access to sections and therefore time consuming to work on.


Yeh, hence the cost!

Do you know of anyone though Heater?
Sorry can't help there.

I know of the VE package issues as I own a VF and according to an Auto Masters I used to take it to told me when I questioned the price and time taken to do a service.

I'm on the hunt for a new mechanic too as I've moved since then.


Funny you say that, I was going to ask - does the VF have the same types of problems with the timing chain being so expensive and engine light coming on all the time?
Completely different design apparently. Lessons learned of every mechanic moaning about it.
User avatar
heater31
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 15976
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:42 am
Location: the back blocks
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 1168 times

Re: Car Servicing/ Mechanics

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:02 pm

well I don't have to worry about timing chain replacement as I wrote the car off last week. Sigh.....
User avatar
gadj1976
Coach
 
 
Posts: 7673
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Sleeping on a park bench outside Princes Park
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 518 times


Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest