V8 Super Cars 2013

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Re: V8 Super Cars 2013

Postby Bully » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm

agreed, just because its the first race doesnt mean that nissan and mercs will perform poor. New manu in the comp, is not gooing to blitz the field by laps in the first race. Just finishing races and maybe top tens would be a good performance.

Unlike the fords ;)
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bully » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Looks to already be a long year for Ford IMO. Got second yestterday, but they were one driver in the top 15 at one stage. Yes, the end results say it all, but i can see they are going to struggle .
Bully
Coach

Been liked: 120 times

Postby RustyCage » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:48 pm

There are only 6 fords, and only two good ones. The two main FPR cars look strong. It's disappointing that Ford don't put any effort into Motorsport here
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Dog_ger wrote:Aussie V8's will learn from this. :D

We are pretenders on the world stage. ;)

Still believe this?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

kickinit wrote:
Dog_ger wrote:Aussie V8's will learn from this. :D

We are pretenders on the world stage. ;)

Still believe this?

It will take the Japs and the Europeans a while to catch up but no all that long I would think
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:16 pm

When the Mercedes are spending more time in the pits then on the track they have a lot of work to do. Mind you they are further behind then the other teams, it will take them a while before they are competitive
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

What is going to happen to v8 supercars when we don't make or sell v8's anymore?

That day is approaching.

We are racing a terminal competition?

What are your thoughts...?
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:16 pm

Dog_ger wrote:What is going to happen to v8 supercars when we don't make or sell v8's anymore?

That day is approaching.

I think I agree with you Dog. But V8 s will always be around because punters like grey nomads want to tow their caravans up to the Goldie every year
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Dog_ger wrote:What is going to happen to v8 supercars when we don't make or sell v8's anymore?

That day is approaching.

it's already here. you can no longer buy a falcon v8, you can only buy a fpv ford in a 5ltr v8. holden havent made a 5ltr v8 since 97. I think the hsv and fpv cars will always be around. I personally think mercede's needed to wait until next season to come in, they left it too late to have the cra ready for this season. It was only a couple of weeks before the test day that it actually hit the track the first time. It's great having some more competition in there and seeing other cars having a crack. It will be surprising how they go in texas and if the american crowd take to it or not.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 pm

kickinit wrote:
it's already here. you can no longer buy a falcon v8, you can only buy a fpv ford in a 5ltr v8. holden havent made a 5ltr v8 since 97. I think the hsv and fpv cars will always be around. I personally think mercede's needed to wait until next season to come in, they left it too late to have the cra ready for this season. It was only a couple of weeks before the test day that it actually hit the track the first time. It's great having some more competition in there and seeing other cars having a crack. It will be surprising how they go in texas and if the american crowd take to it or not.

Don't forget Mercedes Benz are putting no Cash into this at all. Full on Erebus customer to AMG.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Sojourner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:03 pm

I was very surprised at the low numbers of Fords on the grid at Clipsal??? Think that is a pretty poor effort from Ford and its clearly the reason why they have opened up the Supercars to other makes.

Nissan will over time become very competitive in this racing, remember that Nissan and Renault are the same company now, so Nissan can tap into that Formula One technology and testing equipment with their cars and that will become a huge advantage over time. For their first race Nissan did incredibly well and I suspect will get better and better as the season progresses, no amount of practice testing equals hours in real racing conditions in terms of tuning and other data as they repoint their car through the season.

As for Mercedes who knows, it wasn't a good look for the two cars being stuck in the garage for most of the race. Perhaps their main goal might be to complete the laps in a race!

Personally I would like to see Chrysler and Toyota in, the best engine sound I heard all weekend was the Chrysler Hemi V8's in the 300C pace cars powering out of the pits for the yellow flags!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby tipper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:28 am

Sojourner wrote:I was very surprised at the low numbers of Fords on the grid at Clipsal??? Think that is a pretty poor effort from Ford and its clearly the reason why they have opened up the Supercars to other makes.

Nissan will over time become very competitive in this racing, remember that Nissan and Renault are the same company now, so Nissan can tap into that Formula One technology and testing equipment with their cars and that will become a huge advantage over time. For their first race Nissan did incredibly well and I suspect will get better and better as the season progresses, no amount of practice testing equals hours in real racing conditions in terms of tuning and other data as they repoint their car through the season.

As for Mercedes who knows, it wasn't a good look for the two cars being stuck in the garage for most of the race. Perhaps their main goal might be to complete the laps in a race!

Personally I would like to see Chrysler and Toyota in, the best engine sound I heard all weekend was the Chrysler Hemi V8's in the 300C pace cars powering out of the pits for the yellow flags!

that is a flow on effect from last season. last year there were 20 holdens and 10 fords on the grid. there have been more holdens than fords for many seasons, but the gap really widened when ford and 888 racing had a falling out.

this season one of the previously ford teams switched to amg, taking 4 cars with them. holden also "lost" 4 cars to nissan, but they had twice then number of entrants to start with.

i agree chrysler should join in, its the obvious choice, but not sure they have the cash to warrant it.someone told me on the weekend that toyota and hyundai have been confirmed for next year, but i am really unsure as to the reliability of the source
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

tipper wrote:
Sojourner wrote:I was very surprised at the low numbers of Fords on the grid at Clipsal??? Think that is a pretty poor effort from Ford and its clearly the reason why they have opened up the Supercars to other makes.

that is a flow on effect from last season. last year there were 20 holdens and 10 fords on the grid. there have been more holdens than fords for many seasons, but the gap really widened when ford and 888 racing had a falling out.

this season one of the previously ford teams switched to amg, taking 4 cars with them. holden also "lost" 4 cars to nissan, but they had twice then number of entrants to start with.

i agree chrysler should join in, its the obvious choice, but not sure they have the cash to warrant it.someone told me on the weekend that toyota and hyundai have been confirmed for next year, but i am really unsure as to the reliability of the source

I hope someone at Ford lost their job over that one...

Regarding Ford's chances this year, I reckon they'll again be the second quickest team. 888 are the most dominant team I can ever recall over an extended period.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Been liked: 31 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
I hope someone at Ford lost their job over that one...

Regarding Ford's chances this year, I reckon they'll again be the second quickest team. 888 are the most dominant team I can ever recall over an extended period.

IIRC it was due to the lack of support from Ford. Wouldn't have been a hard decision for Triple 8 as they run General Motors everywhere else they have race teams.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:06 pm

HRT have been pretty dominate over the years. The 888 and ford fall out was over there Vodafone sponsorship
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 pm

As well as Ford not wanting to put any money into the privately owned team. Hence why they debadged the cars and put Hogs Breath badges on instead.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tipper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:54 pm

HH3 wrote:As well as Ford not wanting to put any money into the privately owned team. Hence why they debadged the cars and put Hogs Breath badges on instead.

they would have actually gone to holden that year instead of the debadging but Lowndes had a year to run on a contract to drive a falcon. it was either debadge for the season as a statement and wait for 12 months to change sides, or change straight away and leave Lowndes behind. i think they made the right decision.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:39 pm

The right decision would of been to wait for them to change to red bull. It was only because the car was mainly red Holden colour that they weren't going to put the money in.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby HH3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm

kickinit wrote:The right decision would of been to wait for them to change to red bull. It was only because the car was mainly red Holden colour that they weren't going to put the money in.

Yeah...it was only a 4 or 5 year wait to change to Red Bull since Ford pulled their funding...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:10 pm

And where would they be now, they would have 4 of the fastest cars in the comp. all because of a colour?
kickinit
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport