Current state of Supercars

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Current state of Supercars

Postby dedja » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:48 pm

Thoughts on where we’ve landed with Gen3?

It took 6 years after Holden died for them to cease in Supercars, so now we’re left with Camaros and Mustangs. Then GM kicks Supercars in the balls again by killing the Camaro in 2024. :shock:

I still enjoy Supercars, but less so with Gen3. Understand the need to keep costs down, but IMHO, drastically reducing aero and the engineering teething problems haven’t been a success so far.

Is there an alternative to just Camaro vs Mustang? I don’t know the answer.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Re: Current state of Supercars

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:59 pm

They've made it as American can be.

The old Ford v Holden battle is gone, it's now the driver / team you follow and the merch you buy along with it.

It's nowhere near as appealing as it once was, barely follow it anymore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby dedja » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:03 pm

Hear what you’re saying, but still worth watching for mine. Went to The Bend this year and if I can shake off the last effects of Covid, will go this week.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby Douglas Mawson » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm

It's become a NASCAR freight-train where some of the corners are right turns.
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:23 pm

Gen 3 for me has been a disaster. The cars were supposed to be low on aero so they could follow each other and have attitude. From what I’ve seen the cars are unable to follow and pass (ie the worst Bathurst in modern memory) and then they consistently couple this with soft tyres to offset the pace fall off from gen 2. As a result, they all just drive around looking after tyres instead of having a go.
This isn’t even counting in the concerns over parity that could have been properly addressed with the proper tests.
I've never watched less than I have this year & I'll be missing the 500 unless a ticket finds me for nothing.

Personally, if they wanted big rear wheel drive V8’s, Then they should have just bought the rights to the NASCAR formula, with only one proviso, that being that NASCAR is not allowed to run a race Bathurst weekend so all the US drivers can run it. It would solve parity issues, provide a proven car that can pass each other and kept costs down.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:31 pm

Uninspiring yawnfest IMO.

Now that Holden and Ford are gone, I've completely lost interest.

To bring it back - I dunno, go back to what it was in the 70's, 'street cars'?

The old saying, 'you win a race on a Sunday you sell cars on a Monday' couldn't ring any less true any more. I know WHO won but I wouldn't know what car they were in. There just doesn't seem to be that fanaticism any longer.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:03 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Uninspiring yawnfest IMO.

Now that Holden and Ford are gone, I've completely lost interest.

To bring it back - I dunno, go back to what it was in the 70's, 'street cars'?

The old saying, 'you win a race on a Sunday you sell cars on a Monday' couldn't ring any less true any more. I know WHO won but I wouldn't know what car they were in. There just doesn't seem to be that fanaticism any longer.

Agree with the yawnfest statement.

IMO going back to street cars, effectively means the series needs to go to full TCR/two litre touring car format or full GT3 spc. In either case, considering Joe Blow die hard Holden man. He doesn’t have any interest to follow Hyundai or Mazda and he can’t afford a GT3 Mercedes or Ferrari and hence has no interest.
The sport has been so reliant on marketing to the tribalism of brands to create fandom and now they need to retrain the fans focus to individual drivers/teams being the hook as brand tribalism is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

End of the day, for me this is all a distraction, I just want a race series when cars can follow, pass and battle with each other. Something that hasn’t been seen in this series in a long time. Change this and I think people would forget brand tribalism quickly, but I'm unsure current leadership is capable of this.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:26 am

Macauley Jones’ car will run a fan-designed, hand-drawn livery by 10-year-old Grace Lewis at this weekend’s Adelaide 500!

How good is that?

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Might be some big news about the local event here next year
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:43 pm

Big rumour doing the rounds today … Brodie Kostecki to give Erebus the arse and Todd Hazelwood to step into his seat this year.

I initially found this hard to believe but then again Barry Ryan is the CEO of Erebus, so actually very believable.
dedja
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:18 pm

dedja wrote:Big rumour doing the rounds today … Brodie Kostecki to give Erebus the arse and Todd Hazelwood to step into his seat this year.

I initially found this hard to believe but then again Barry Ryan is the CEO of Erebus, so actually very believable.
Todd would want to be careful here....
Series Champion walking away on the eve of the season and not defending it. Left MSR with a year to go and went to Blanchard then turfed for the list clogger James Courtney after a shit show of a season in a single entry team
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby dedja » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:25 pm

He has no choice but to take any seat he can get.

Todd’s a good bloke, his parents are my next door neighbours. :-BD
dedja
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:36 pm

dedja wrote:He has no choice but to take any seat he can get.

On the other hand, opportunity in a race winning package.

Does it smell of snags living next door to his parents?

I was a guest in at the 500 during his first MSR stint. All the Hazelwood's seemed well liked
heater31

Postby dedja » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:40 pm

LOL, I reckon Sharon has cooked about 5 millions snags, Russell none.

Wonder whether the negotiations today by Erebus are around announcing Brodie’s exit or Barry Ryan’s.

Surely Barry is rooting Betty to still be there.
dedja
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:28 pm

dedja wrote:He has no choice but to take any seat he can get.

Not sure why he walked from BJR he was a good racer there and getting good points, rate him as a good driver, get a good team he will regularly get into the top 10 i reckon
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3710 times
Been liked: 1170 times

Postby dedja » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:53 am

It’s getting messy, Hazelwood officially to take Brodie Kostecki’s seat for round 1.

Erebus official statement released yesterday

Contrary to media reports, Brodie Kostecki remains part of the Erebus Motorsport family and is a valued member of our team.

Brodie has indicated he’s not in a position to take part in the opening round of the 2024 Supercars Championship.

Todd Hazelwood will stand in for Brodie at the Bathurst 500 from February 23-25.

Portion of Supercars statement

In a Supercars statement, Supercars CEO Shane Howard said: "We understand the gravity of Brodie's decision and the challenges he may be facing at this time.

"On behalf of everyone at Supercars, we wish Brodie all the best, and we sincerely hope to witness his return to the Repco Supercars Championship in the future.

To me it appeared that both statements when viewed together throw Kostecki under the bus, insinuating that he has a health issue. I suspect the only thing Brodie is suffering from is BarryRyanF*cktitus.
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:20 pm

Boost Mobile founder, Peter Adderton, is pouring petrol on the saga (checkout his Facebook posts).

The situation is turning nasty.
dedja
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:37 pm

Both SVG and Scotty McL have come out in support of Brodie and thrown some fairly hefty punches at Supercars administration
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:38 pm

dedja wrote:It’s getting messy, Hazelwood officially to take Brodie Kostecki’s seat for round 1.

Erebus official statement released yesterday

Contrary to media reports, Brodie Kostecki remains part of the Erebus Motorsport family and is a valued member of our team.

Brodie has indicated he’s not in a position to take part in the opening round of the 2024 Supercars Championship.

Todd Hazelwood will stand in for Brodie at the Bathurst 500 from February 23-25.

Portion of Supercars statement

In a Supercars statement, Supercars CEO Shane Howard said: "We understand the gravity of Brodie's decision and the challenges he may be facing at this time.

"On behalf of everyone at Supercars, we wish Brodie all the best, and we sincerely hope to witness his return to the Repco Supercars Championship in the future.

To me it appeared that both statements when viewed together throw Kostecki under the bus, insinuating that he has a health issue. I suspect the only thing Brodie is suffering from is BarryRyanF*cktitus.
Now sponsors are jumping ship at alarming rates

One has even accused the team and Supercars itself openly lying to the fans about the situation
heater31

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:43 pm

It’s a clusterf*ark, but take Adderton’s comments with a large dose of salt … he’s an A-Grade f*ckwit.

As you say, it looks like Coke has now bailed, so Betty probably has to bite the bullet and deal with the source of the problem, Barry Ryan.
dedja
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Motoring/Motorsport