Martial Arts Training in Adelaide.

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Martial Arts Training in Adelaide.

Postby Sojourner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:20 am

This is a pretty large topic that could no doubt be broken into several subjects but lets see how we go!

To start, do you train or have you trained any any of the current martial arts training places around the city?

What are your thoughts on the various systems being offered, what would you choose if you had the time and the fees?

For me personally, "Krav Maga" is my favourite system, let me state though that I dont go in for the various arguments over which systems are better than another, I suspect that if most people viewed a Karate vs Taekwondo fight they would be unable to recognise any differences in the fighting styles at all. I favour Krav because its a basic fighting system that teaches you enough self defence to look after yourself if you are attacked and if you want to take it to the highest levels I am confident you can go toe to toe with anyone qualified to a similar level in another system, Krav is good because it encompasses Boxing, Wrestling, MMA and Kali, which covers off most bases of situations you might be involved in. Its taught at Fullarton and in the City.

Having just said that I am in a situation where I need to train on nights that they dont offer, so am looking into joining another system and would love to hear your thoughts on what you enjoy or have experienced in the wider martial arts groupings in SA?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: Martial Arts Training in Adelaide.

Postby Farbs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Sojourner wrote:This is a pretty large topic that could no doubt be broken into several subjects but lets see how we go!

To start, do you train or have you trained any any of the current martial arts training places around the city?

What are your thoughts on the various systems being offered, what would you choose if you had the time and the fees?

For me personally, "Krav Maga" is my favourite system, let me state though that I dont go in for the various arguments over which systems are better than another, I suspect that if most people viewed a Karate vs Taekwondo fight they would be unable to recognise any differences in the fighting styles at all. I favour Krav because its a basic fighting system that teaches you enough self defence to look after yourself if you are attacked and if you want to take it to the highest levels I am confident you can go toe to toe with anyone qualified to a similar level in another system, Krav is good because it encompasses Boxing, Wrestling, MMA and Kali, which covers off most bases of situations you might be involved in. Its taught at Fullarton and in the City.

Having just said that I am in a situation where I need to train on nights that they dont offer, so am looking into joining another system and would love to hear your thoughts on what you enjoy or have experienced in the wider martial arts groupings in SA?

I haven't trained in a long time, but used to train in Hapkido at Salisbury. Was a good martial art, and gave you a great fitness base which is certainly required if you are to be involved in defending yourself.
I do think though that there are more practical martial arts and agree that Krav is one of them (not having done, but read up on it). I also think that some of the places that offer the mma for self defence purposes are also practical as it covers a broad range.
I work in the city and have looked into both the Krav place in the city, as well as momentum technique (mma) in light square. Just need a bit more time on my hands and i'll check them both out!
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Sojourner » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:07 am

Its interesting that you mention Hapkido Farbs,

I recently came across this one which is nearly half the price of some of the other schools around town, pretty reasonable at $60 p/m! - The master is a 6th dan and they have others in there training of the high degrees also, well worth a look if Hapkido is your thing, I am very much thinking of giving it a go!

http://hapkido-sa.net/
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Farbs » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 am

Sojourner wrote:Its interesting that you mention Hapkido Farbs,

I recently came across this one which is nearly half the price of some of the other schools around town, pretty reasonable at $60 p/m! - The master is a 6th dan and they have others in there training of the high degrees also, well worth a look if Hapkido is your thing, I am very much thinking of giving it a go!

http://hapkido-sa.net/

I would personally stay away from that particular one Sojourner. While I was training, a few of us went to have a look at Eagle, as it was just down the road from my house. Some of the technical stuff was quite good, but it was very low intensity. At the time, the instructor was talking about only wanting his class to raise a light sweat - i don't think that is practical for self defence. I personally think it is important to have a good amount of cardio, and to learn to apply your skills while fatigued, as this will more than likely be the case. Just my opinion on it.

But that was some time ago that i checked it out, so it may have changed now.
I'm proud of you fellas. You all kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious cock fight!
Farbs
Under 18s

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness