Achilles Tendon

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Achilles Tendon

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am

Never had a problem with one till just prior to Xmas where it swelled up a bit and constantly ached, then twice in January it "popped" when I was landing awkwardly on it and shot an electric like pain right up calf behind my knee. With a bit of rest, strapping and ice I got it better but it always ached like it did prior to Xmas but I learned that going for long walks didn't make it any worse if I just walked through the pain.
BUT this morning did it again, hopped off a bus and landed awkwardly, whole leg below my knee went numb and had an excruciating pain in my achilles, could hardly walk. Off to the docs this morning to see what some African/Middle Eastern thinks about it but interested if anyone else has had issue with their achilles, how long they took to fix and things that might help, etc.
Cheers.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Achilles Tendon

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am

Old age ;)

If it snaps you will know about it... you will hear a gun shot and then feel like you have been shot....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:11 am

Ruptured mine in 2002
It sounded, and felt, like a gunshot
It has never been 100% since
I laugh when idiot media people say "he'll be back playing in 4 months"

Wedgie -
1. Put your foot in the standing position and put some strong non-expandable tape down your achilles along your sole to your toes. It provides support
2. Go to a good shoe repair place and get them to put a 1/2 inch wedge (pun unintended) in your shoe heels. Not only does it take the pressure off your achilles, you grow 1/2 inch straight away
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the info, yeah I heard a shot the 2nd time I did it, this morning everything just went numb and I felt light headed so didn't hear much. Just got back from the docs and getting an ultrasound next Wednesday. Never had problems before with one, but what a pain they are.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Alaska » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 am

It is an old age issue I have the pain and the swelling from time to time but as you say you can walk through it though.
I have found that changing to a shoe with that higher heel helps so Jimmy’s tip is good and now the Red Krill and Glucosamine seems to also help.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby smac » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Wedgie already wears high heels.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm

smac wrote:Wedgie already wears high heels.

That's the problem, I should practise walking in them before jumping out of a bus in them!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I don't have any advice unfortunately but I've always been weary of 'doing an Achilles' when as a kid my father told me about how my uncle (his brother) who was a very good footy player in his day went back to his amateur club to play in a legends/anniversary game after he had been retired for about 10 years and snapped his Achilles soon after the game started. As others have said it's meant to sound like a gunshot and he thought someone had kicked him in the back of the leg but when on the ground turned around and no one was there.

Ever since hearing that story as a kid I still go into a cold sweat anytime I've got even a hint of pain in my Achilles.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby tigerpie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Snapped mine playing cricket a couple of years back....didnt hurt initially, thought i'd trodden on my stumps.
The keeper said straight away that he heard it go. I went into denial for a couple of days hobbling about hoping it wasnt what i new it was.
Pain got a little much so off to the hospital and the doc squeezed my calf and my foot didnt move. Diagnosis confirmed, snapped achilles.
I didnt have surgery, just 6 weeks in plaster then 6 in a boot. That was the painfull bit!
Its ok now with some heel pain sometimes.
Moral of the story is...47 is too old to play cricket!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Ultra sound said I'd torn it 2-3cms and had tendonitiis before that, now another trip to the doc before seeing a surgeon.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:37 pm

Wedgie wrote:Ultra sound said I'd torn it 2-3cms and had tendonitiis before that, now another trip to the doc before seeing a surgeon.

Moon Boot!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 pm

I still don't get how you can rupture it all the way through and it heels in a moon boot with surgery :? How the heel does it rejoin?
I was talking with a bloke on Sunday who has done the same foot 3 times and only had surgery the third time
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 pm

Just saw the doc, he says its closer to 3cms and nothing's connected so in his opinion its definate surgery and 8-12 weeks in a cast.
Never been in a cast before :(
Fun times ahead.
Only positive is he said I could get a temporarily disabled parking permit! :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Yep it knits back together..without surgery!

I didnt believe it either, but mine is fine. Probably wouldnt want to play competitive sport anymore but i can still run, bowl (3 step run up) and kick the footy.... 6 months after doing it. No surgery!
The human body is incredible.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:Only positive is he said I could get a temporarily disabled parking permit! :D

Oh jeebus. :lol:
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Sympathies Wedgie...expect six weeks of hell, in a full cast with your foot pointed like a ballet dancer, and fuggin crutches! No fun when you've had a few.

But then its a boot for 6 weeks, which is a pain but at least you dont need crutches anymore and you can take it off

Like i said i completely ruptured mine, didnt have surgery and i'm fine so you'll recover well and be back at the footy bagging us blokes :D
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:00 pm

tigerpie wrote:Sympathies Wedgie...expect six weeks of hell, in a full cast with your foot pointed like a ballet dancer, and fuggin crutches! No fun when you've had a few.

But then its a boot for 6 weeks, which is a pain but at least you dont need crutches anymore and you can take it off

Like i said i completely ruptured mine, didnt have surgery and i'm fine so you'll recover well and be back at the footy bagging us blokes :D

Cheers mate, there's no way I'm missing a footy game, even if I have to crawl to Prospect! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness