Stupid ,drunk,or just a footballer?

Anything!

Postby therisingblues » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:21 am

Rik E Boy wrote:The majority of these blokes think that they are better than everyone else like movie stars, rock stars and top cricketers. A humble champion is a rare individual indeed. The Crows are over analysed, over pampered and have a very high opinion of themselves and we're just there to serve them first and cop their crap. The Cows benefit from this continuos coverage and exposure (much like Collingwood and West Coast) so they are hardly in a position to throw up their hands and say 'OMG, put the cameras away, we're drunk!').

I wouldn't say that they are benefitting that much from the exposure there REB. Having the limelight on oneself the whole time can screw up one's perspective. I think you can relate to how the media creates this image and how powerful it is. There is very little to prevent an individual from getting carried away with the mythical identity that society hoists on them, save for their own personal strengths, so I will at least agree with you that a humble champion is a rare individual, and if the media had more respect for human nature than they do for marketing, then the open adoration would be reserved for those rare individuals exclusively. I am not surprised at all that the odd sports star does his cracker here and there, especially if there's some paparrazi type prowling around, provoking the desired response, and satiating the need for a high profile story. The sports people are not without fault, but I blame the media for the saturation which compounds the problem.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Stupid drunk or just a footballer

Postby sturtpeter » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:59 am

The front page status given to this typical off season incident shows how desperate the Murdoch owned paper is to sell newspapers.

Had our captain Ben Nelson been involved in a similar incident (which is not very likely), the issue would have been given a paragraph with a tiny phoro in the usually condensed SANFL part of the paper.

Reading about the Goodwin story was about as interesting as listening to Lleyton with his buddy Studley on AA.
Avid Sturt supporter and SANFL fanatic.
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Stupid drunk or just a footballer?

Postby sturtpeter » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:02 am

sorry photo.
Avid Sturt supporter and SANFL fanatic.
sturtpeter
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby Sam_goUUUdogs » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:32 pm

i honestly think a photo would be pushing it.
Sam_goUUUdogs
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:09 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yes I have met a lot of them REB, always found them a pleasure to talk to, in fact I can honestly say that every AFL player I've met (at least a couple of dozen), only person who I found a complete peanut was an ex AFL player in Lucas Herbert but he hardly counts.
Hell I'm suprised at least one didn't smack me out once when I drunkedly jumped on his lap when he was out of a game with a groin injury! (John Barnes)
I find AFL players and most footy players friendlier than the average office peanut in a bar on a Friday night.

I'm looking forward to next week's Advertisers having front page coverage of all the charity work a lot of these guys unpaid for. Of course that's what will happen if the Advertiser is a reputable and fair medium. Of course we know that doesn't sell so the Crapertiser will continue to write for those obsessed by Tall Poppy or chip on shoulder syndrome.

Interesting post. As usual there is two sides to every story and it is easy to forget the good things that these blokes do. It is even easier to forget the good things that these blokes do when they are on the turps with a bit too much to say. I still reckon blaming the media is a cop out for some pretty average stuff by the boys. I'll wager the club is not amused.

Cheers,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Rushby Hinds » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:35 pm

Boo the lot of them.

A few years ago the Crows players donated $10k or $15k to a charity (hooray) but then got shirty because no media had turned up to cover the gift. Unfnblvable. They then complained on 5AA about it. I think they missed the point of donating to a charity.....

I've had the pleasure of being in the change rooms* @ AAmi after a few games by my favourite (interstate) team. Away from the press/media/glamour the blokes were seriously genuinely 100% top blokes. One time I had one of my kids with me, he got his top signed by EVERY player and they all were kidding with him, asking him questions about his footy, plenty oh high 5's, etc etc, for over an hour, while they waited for their bus back to the airport.

I wrote a letter to their club applauding the great way they welcomed me and my family.

About a week or two later i had the mispleasure of taking my kids to the Crows "pie night" where every auskick kid in SA gets an invite to the crows shed, a free pie & drink, and the Crows players get introduced on stage, and if you line up long enough an autograph etc.

The MC (Rowey) introduced the players to the stage one by one, they entered from behind a closed door.

"and now the captain of the crows, Mark Riccuitto"

ABout 600 cheering kids gave him a big yell.

He walked thru the door, up the steps at the front of the stage, and continued walking to the back of the stage. He then shared a joke with Wayne Carey. The whole time he had his hand in the air, wacing to the crowd. But he didnt even turn around to look at the kids, had his back to them the whole time!

My kids didnt notice, but plenty of the other Mums & Dads around me did.

Arrogant shit.
Rushby Hinds
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby McAlmanac » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:02 am

Borat wrote:I've had the pleasure of being in the change rooms* @ AAmi after a few games by my favourite (interstate) team. Away from the press/media/glamour the blokes were seriously genuinely 100% top blokes. One time I had one of my kids with me, he got his top signed by EVERY player and they all were kidding with him, asking him questions about his footy, plenty oh high 5's, etc etc, for over an hour, while they waited for their bus back to the airport.

I wrote a letter to their club applauding the great way they welcomed me and my family.

You are a Bulldogs supporter. Their connection to their constituency is fantastic. They have a history of struggling to survive, so they know how important their fans are. Throw the Kangaroos in that mix too.

The Crows on the other hand.... well, if a few memberships go missing, who cares?
Blighty Teasdale - SuperCoach former World No. 1
McAlmanac
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Macca19 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:42 am

Funny how Goodwin doesnt have a problem with photographers coming along to the Alma and photographing "Goody and the boys" having quiet drinks every now and then, and allowing them to show that in the Advertiser :roll:

I think the more worrying thing that the Crows need to worry about is the fact that this seems to happen with them every year. Theyve had Angwin DUI rolling his car on the way to Skipworths birthday party, Burns DUI roll his car after a party, Careys hotel room romp, Johncock involved ina hit and run and then lying to the police (and somehow escapes a breath test) and now Goodwin threatening a photographer who was standing on the other side of the road. All that in the past 4 years.

Sure its an invasion of Goodwins privacy, and the Advertiser completely went overboard in their coverage of what happened....but the photo of Goodwin scratching his head hardly warranted that sort of reaction, and goes against him saying the photographer was in his face, in the venue whilst he had a beer in his hand.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:24 pm

McAlmanac wrote:
You are a Bulldogs supporter. Their connection to their constituency is fantastic. They have a history of struggling to survive, so they know how important their fans are. Throw the Kangaroos in that mix too.

The Crows on the other hand.... well, if a few memberships go missing, who cares?

A good point there Mac. It's like trying to impress Paris Hilton.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby RoostersRuleTheWorld ! » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:22 pm

If the CROWS want to relax and enjoy their well earned break, then let them.
Their behaviour may not have been up to standard, but i dont think we have the
right to comment on it !
Surely, We are all probably guilty of "letting our Hair Down"
once or twice during the Festive Season in our lives !
RoostersRuleTheWorld !
Under 16s

Been liked: 0 time

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Mel Mansell's piece on 5AA was over the top and reeked of someone who was desperate to sell papers.
As far as whatever happened to Devlin - Who Cares? She was probably keen to get down there in the hope that a few of the players had their beer goggles on.
Schmaal has obviously never been a photographer in their coverage of court cases.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:02 am

Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Re: Stupid ,drunk,or just a footballer?

Postby MW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:04 am

I think Impey allegedly covers all of this

edit: fixed this for clarity :roll:
Last edited by MW on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:05 am

MW wrote:I think Impey covers all of this

His actions were stupid, he is a footballer and you know he was drunk. That's correct?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby MW » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 am

Booney wrote:

His actions were stupid, he is a footballer and you know he was drunk. That's correct?

c'mon Booney. Leaves the scene of an "accident" after neighbours see him doing burnouts after a party. You reckon he just needed the time to think about his actions before reporting to the Police 10 hours later? Just needed a 17km walk to think about it?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Stumps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:46 am

Jail him
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

c'mon Booney. Leaves the scene of an "accident" after neighbours see him doing burnouts after a party. You reckon he just needed the time to think about his actions before reporting to the Police 10 hours later? Just needed a 17km walk to think about it?

But he's a Port player, that's different :roll:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:50 am

Footy Chick wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

But he's a Port player, that's different :roll:

Did I, or anyone else say this? Made it clear in my comments in the AFL board that his actions speak for themselves, not going to defend them,I just wondered how MW knew he was drunk, that's all.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Mickyj » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 am

Don't buy the paper
Was mentioned on channel 7 news a station full of port people
So has it been proved he was driving
Has it been proved he was over the limit

If yes throw the book at him
if he wasn't a footballer he'd be charged and caught drunk driving it would have been shown on the tv news
And we would have seen him taken away in cuffs

Let's forget he plays football
Let's forget his race
If he was drunk while driving and crashed he broke the law
Charge him jail him if needed end of story

And saying people drink is absolute Crap
i can't say why due to my pending court case .
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:22 am

Booney wrote:
Did I, or anyone else say this? Made it clear in my comments in the AFL board that his actions speak for themselves, not going to defend them,I just wondered how MW knew he was drunk, that's all.

A 17km walk home is a good way to get the BAC out of your system though if he was hammered.

Drunk or not, footballer or not - still dumb in anyones language. I don't think anyone would argue with that.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion