Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby Psyber » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:29 pm

The management agency I use makes it clear that generally they have no truck with "do it yourself" landlords when it comes to repair work.
They insist on ethical behaviour at both ends of the rental agreement.

However, when we needed to clean up a storm-damaged tree and prune it a bit I went along with the handyman as his helper so that we could discuss what needed to be done on the spot. We also put in some gutter guard where leaves were accumulating in the guttters, and fixed a hinge on the side gate that we noticed was a bit wonky while we were there.

I also sent him back a few days later to reseal some roofing tile corners (whatever they are called) where the mortar was cracking up.

I'm treating the place as a long-term investment and don't want it damaged or deteriorating.
I may even move into it myself when I'm ready to downsize, eventually, as I get older, as it is well located near shops and in a nice part of Mt Barker.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby trev » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Psyber wrote:"

However, the agent and I are very firm that when tenants leave the house and garden has to be restored to the condition it was in when they moved in.

Had to laugh at this.

We have just moved from a shitty rental in South Yarra that had a jungle for a backyard when we moved in.
After getting permission from the agent, we cleared five trailer loads of green waste and made a nice fenced off vegie garden and made room for an outdoor setting and the BBQ. It was quite pleasant in the end. Unfortunately, the house itself was total crap, we couldn't drink the water from the kitchen tap as the pipes were contaminated, the bathroom lights were connected to a double adapter in the laundry and the landlord was a DIY kinda guy that couldn't give a shit about fixing things, but could give a shit about coming into the front yard on a Sunday morning to pick the figs and lemons off the trees there "This is my fruit, not your fruit"

About 2 months before the lease expired, we got notice that the Agents had been replaced and all future dealings were to go through a new company. This didn't worry us because as soon as the lease expired we were outta there! Fast forward two weeks and the landlord is refusing to refund the bond ($2300) because
The garden is not in the same condition as when the property was leased

It actually made it to the tribunal, because the landlord said that the agents hadn't given us permission and he was right. The current agents hadn't, and he insisted that they had been the agents for the duration of the lease! We had to produce the email from the previous agents that stated that they had spoken to the landlord and received permission for us to clear out the back yard. It got thrown out pretty fast after that, but it amazed me how far this shitty landlord was willing to go to try and screw us out of our bond!

We are now living in a great old terrace house in North Melb that is bigger, has a wonderful ready made back garden and costs $50 a week less, plus the new landlord has already installed a brand new stove, no questions asked, after the old one gave up the ghost a few days into the lease because, and I quote, "I just want you to be happy in the house".
Talk about going from one extreme to the other!
"Pressure? Pressure is a Messerschmidt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."
trev
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby kickinit » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Psyber wrote:Obviously I'm not on the ball as a landlord.

My tenants had a TV antenna problem which I had the agent send a tradie to fix last year, but it recurred recently as the wiring is a bit brittle. The repair guy quoted about $150 to replace the wiring, and, while doing it, move the antenna elsewhere where the signal is better. I said, "While he is at it get him to replace the old antenna with a proper digital one."

However, the agent and I are very firm that when tenants leave the house and garden has to be restored to the condition it was in when they moved in.

Charge them extra and have a gardener do it. I've done this since day one and the gardens have all been kept nice. Plus if you can get him to do your own house and charge it under one of the rentals, then claim it on tax.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby fisho mcspaz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:23 pm

trev wrote:
Psyber wrote:"

Had to laugh at this.

We have just moved from a shitty rental in South Yarra that had a jungle for a backyard when we moved in.
After getting permission from the agent, we cleared five trailer loads of green waste and made a nice fenced off vegie garden and made room for an outdoor setting and the BBQ. It was quite pleasant in the end. Unfortunately, the house itself was total crap, we couldn't drink the water from the kitchen tap as the pipes were contaminated, the bathroom lights were connected to a double adapter in the laundry and the landlord was a DIY kinda guy that couldn't give a shit about fixing things, but could give a shit about coming into the front yard on a Sunday morning to pick the figs and lemons off the trees there "This is my fruit, not your fruit"

About 2 months before the lease expired, we got notice that the Agents had been replaced and all future dealings were to go through a new company. This didn't worry us because as soon as the lease expired we were outta there! Fast forward two weeks and the landlord is refusing to refund the bond ($2300) because
The garden is not in the same condition as when the property was leased

It actually made it to the tribunal, because the landlord said that the agents hadn't given us permission and he was right. The current agents hadn't, and he insisted that they had been the agents for the duration of the lease! We had to produce the email from the previous agents that stated that they had spoken to the landlord and received permission for us to clear out the back yard. It got thrown out pretty fast after that, but it amazed me how far this shitty landlord was willing to go to try and screw us out of our bond!

We are now living in a great old terrace house in North Melb that is bigger, has a wonderful ready made back garden and costs $50 a week less, plus the new landlord has already installed a brand new stove, no questions asked, after the old one gave up the ghost a few days into the lease because, and I quote, "I just want you to be happy in the house".
Talk about going from one extreme to the other!

Jeez. What a prick! Yeah, a mate of mine had an agent to go extreme lengths to not refund their bond. A crack in the wardrobe - present before they moved in - was attributed to them. Having 'lemons underneath the lemon tree' and 'cobwebs on the wall outside' were also prime offences. The same agent later rented a house to another mate and came after HER for having a spot of oil on the driveway.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby fisho mcspaz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:27 pm

Something else that grinds my gears: working nights. I work as an academic editor part-time, except it's not sodding part-time, it takes for ever. The papers are usually written by postdoctoral researchers who speak English as their second language, so in order to make sure they've applied their terminology correctly, I find myself having to Google their research topic. I now know a lot more about the history of mathematics, qualitative content analysis, and designing clothes for dementia sufferers, than I did previously. :Hangman:
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby fisho mcspaz » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 am

MTV Channel 111. Followed up Rick Astley with Kenny Rogers.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:47 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:Something else that grinds my gears: working nights. I work as an academic editor part-time, except it's not sodding part-time, it takes for ever. The papers are usually written by postdoctoral researchers who speak English as their second language, so in order to make sure they've applied their terminology correctly, I find myself having to Google their research topic. I now know a lot more about the history of mathematics, qualitative content analysis, and designing clothes for dementia sufferers, than I did previously. :Hangman:

Important business! :? :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Hefty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 pm

BUPA!!!

S'pose to be booked in for Surgery tomorrow only for Bupa to turn around to my surgeon to say they won't cover it as only had policy for 9 months and they reckon it could be a pre-existing condition (12 month waitlist for pre-exist).

Long story short, BUPA want me to go back to my GP do get proof via a medical form that not pre-existing. I'm like "**** THIS". So, rang BUPA and told them to stop screwing me around, explained the surgery I'm having and how this can be pre-existing?!!!

Now, BUPA have done a complete back flip and say I can have surgery tomorrow and will be covered. Had to ring sugeon back and re-book for tomorrow.

I can see what's going to happen tomorrow when the hospital tries to process my private health....."Sorry, your not covered for this"

END RANT!!!!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Jase » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:58 pm

fisho mcspaz wrote:MTV Channel 111. Followed up Rick Astley with Kenny Rogers.

The biggest thing that gives me the sh1ts is they removed MTV Classic with bloody Smooth...

Wankers...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1499 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Hefty wrote:BUPA!!!

S'pose to be booked in for Surgery tomorrow only for Bupa to turn around to my surgeon to say they won't cover it as only had policy for 9 months and they reckon it could be a pre-existing condition (12 month waitlist for pre-exist).

Long story short, BUPA want me to go back to my GP do get proof via a medical form that not pre-existing. I'm like "**** THIS". So, rang BUPA and told them to stop screwing me around, explained the surgery I'm having and how this can be pre-existing?!!!

Now, BUPA have done a complete back flip and say I can have surgery tomorrow and will be covered. Had to ring sugeon back and re-book for tomorrow.

I can see what's going to happen tomorrow when the hospital tries to process my private health....."Sorry, your not covered for this"

END RANT!!!!

Happened to my son when he was 12 months old. They back flipped then too
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Q. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Having my severance pay taxed at 31.5% :(
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 pm

And?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 pm

kickinit wrote:

My tenants had a TV antenna problem which I had the agent send a tradie to fix last year, but it recurred recently as the wiring is a bit brittle. The repair guy quoted about $150 to replace the wiring, and, while doing it, move the antenna elsewhere where the signal is better. I said, "While he is at it get him to replace the old antenna with a proper digital one."

Charge them extra and have a gardener do it. I've done this since day one and the gardens have all been kept nice. Plus if you can get him to do your own house and charge it under one of the rentals, then claim it on tax.

You could do it yourself. Drag yourself away from the mirror for an hour or two and get the job done.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 745 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 pm

Q. wrote:Having my severance pay taxed at 31.5% :(

I thought severance pay was tax free. The only part you should pay tax on is any holidays owing to you.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Hefty wrote:BUPA!!!

END RANT!!!!

Yet on the other side of the coin, been with the same fund since birth (granted they have had a buy out and name change) and not one bit of communication from them regarding my surgery from last Thursday :?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:15 pm

DOC wrote:
kickinit wrote:

You could do it yourself. Drag yourself away from the mirror for an hour or two and get the job done.

why would I when I can pay someone to do it for me. Especially when I work 12hr days mon-fri and 8hrs on sat, can go away for work 1-2months at a time. I'd rather save the 1-2hrs doing something rather then gardening.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 pm

Well why wouldn't you do a bit of physical exercise?
DOC
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Right hand gets a rigorous workout ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:31 pm

DOC wrote:Well why wouldn't you do a bit of physical exercise?

you really calling pulling weeds out of the ground physical exercise.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Sure it is. It may not be vigerous but its exercise never the less. Its like weight loss, you could just take a pill but its better if you do the work yourself.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion