Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Colonnades tavern

2 cokes
Cheesy garlic bread
Chicken breast wrapped in prosciutto on mash
Chicken parmi.....this was mouth watering, better than anything ive had at the schnit house
$60

Great service by the young lasses

Solid 8.5/10 for pub.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12310 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Took the Mrs away for a night recently in the Hills, went to the recently re-opened Uraidla Hotel for lunch, fantastic spot, really well done reno, just had a couple of entree's to share, the ribs were a meal in themselves and sweet potato fries delicious (why aren't these more popular?)...plenty of beers to choose from....if you are looking for a place to go on a Sunday drive its only 20 min up Greenhill Rd.

Finished off with dinner at the Haus in Hahndorf, top spot good quality feed at quite reasonable prices and an extensive menu, downed with the award winning Prancing Pony IPA (give them a plug, they are customers of mine!) stayed in their apartments behind the restuarant, superb spot.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2422 times
Been liked: 3820 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Night away with the Mrs, always a good way to ensure return on investment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7625 times
Been liked: 11096 times

Postby JK » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:sweet potato fries delicious (why aren't these more popular?)

Get these (actually wedges, but close enough) at the Grange Hotel everytime Im there, magnificent!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4468 times
Been liked: 3009 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:Took the Mrs away for a night recently in the Hills, went to the recently re-opened Uraidla Hotel for lunch, fantastic spot, really well done reno, just had a couple of entree's to share, the ribs were a meal in themselves and sweet potato fries delicious (why aren't these more popular?)...plenty of beers to choose from....if you are looking for a place to go on a Sunday drive its only 20 min up Greenhill Rd.

Finished off with dinner at the Haus in Hahndorf, top spot good quality feed at quite reasonable prices and an extensive menu, downed with the award winning Prancing Pony IPA (give them a plug, they are customers of mine!) stayed in their apartments behind the restuarant, superb spot.

What was your score out of 10?

And how did you rate the food and service?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 459 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm

8.5 for both venues
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 am

Pike & Joyce – Adelaide Hills – 740 Mawson Road LENSWOOD

Special occasion’s call for a special location. Enjoyed a fabulous Sunday lunch, yesterday with Mrs C at Pike & Joyce.

*Disclaimer – We have been friends with one of the owners for many, many years – The girls played Netball & Tennis together back in the day. So please read the review with that in mind.

Arrived a little after 12.30 Sunday afternoon, as we entered to the foyer we bumped into some old friends who were also celebrating a special occasion, and were part of a large group (25 people) spread over 3 tables.

We were greeted by the wait staff, and shown to our table. Prime position right next to the window, overlooking the deck. Pike & Joyce restaurant & tasting rooms offer superb panoramic views of the Adelaide Hills. I could happily sit there, and gaze out over the view for hours.

Drinks selected as we mulled over the menu. Mrs C went for the Sparkling Pinot Noir, while I choose the Pikes Pilsner Larger. The Pilsner is very approachable, in fact I could have approached another half dozen of them!

Shared Ciabatta Bread with French Butter was a nice opener, and at just $5, won’t hurt the wallet.

Mrs C sat out Entrée, but true to “exposed form” I went with 1 dozen Coffin Bay Oysters, with natural Lenswood Lemons. Superb. Freshly Shucked indeed, the lemon accompaniment was excellent. Mrs C sporting a “knowing look” :lol: that this would prove to be a solid investment! $26

Onto mains. I opted for the Hard Seared Murray Valley Flat Iron Steak, Chimichurri with Roasted Sweetcorn, Wood Fired Capsicum & Coriander Salsa $32. Mrs C - Grilled Fillet of Snapper, Hills Fresh Cauliflower Puree, Buttered Hills Fresh Cauliflower Florets, Sautéed Green Beans, Lemon, Caper & Parsley Dressing $30

Sides - Butter Roasted Potatoes with Thyme, Garlic & Chives – serves 2 people - $10

Paired my steak with the 2015 “Vue De Nard” Pinot Noir. This variety would normally not be my choice, however it complimented the meal perfectly. In fact a second glass was required. Steak cooked just the way I like it, on the rare side. But it simply melted in the mouth.

Mrs C commented that the Snapper was delicious, with a crispy skin finish and delicate puree.

Another Pilsner required at this point as we pondered dessert. I was stuffed full, but took one for the team as we shared a Bittersweet Chocolate Cremeux, “Methode Cuve” Sparkling Pinot Rose Poached Strawberries & Rhubarb, Vanilla Mascarpone & Sugared Almonds - $14.

The afternoon rounded out with a glass of something or other with our friends in the party of 25, and even better after settling the account a bottle of the Sparkling Pinot Noir was “gifted”. Not what you know as they say.

Overall 9.5. Not sure why I deducted .5 – Stuff it, it’s a 10. :D
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1299 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby saintal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Although wineries/cellar doors are not my type of scene it's been good for Lenswood having P+J, Anderson Hill and Mt Lofty Ranges Vineyard doing so well in recent years.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 447 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:09 pm

saintal wrote:Although wineries/cellar doors are not my type of scene it's been good for Lenswood having P+J, Anderson Hill and Mt Lofty Ranges Vineyard doing so well in recent years.

Agree Saintal - a nice sunny arvo at Anderson Hill is always a pleasant day. The garlic prawn pizzas hit the spot too.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1299 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:52 am

NNQ - Woodville Road, Woodville.

Mrs and Miss Boon have been here several times and rate the place highly, neighbors also rate the establishment, after a win last night ( see things you rate thread ) Mrs Boon and I went along while Miss was at work.

The waitress asked if we wanted our mains and entree together, I said bring the entree out first.

Shared some spring rolls and some prawn satay sticks to start with. The spring rolls were very, very good and while the prawn satays were very nice they could have done with some extra heat, not spice but extra warming as they were just warm. We then sat for about 10 minutes before the waitress came and asked us if we were ready for our mains. Waited probably 15 more for mains.

I went the Slow Cooked Clay Pot Pork Ribs, Mrs Boon the Curried Lemongrass and Chilli Chicken ( both $16 ) and shared a bowl of fried rice. The pork ribs were simply 10/10 ******* awesome. Melt in your mouth, fall a part, wallowing in a salty/sweet broth of deliciousness. Pork pieces, about 8-10 of them around 5cm*5cm*3cm thick. I didn't finish and I go ok on the tooth. Mrs Boons chicken came out on a bed of stir fried veg ( I love onion and capsicum done this way ) and there would have been about 8-10 solid pieces of chicken. Couldn't finish them between us.

I had two Vale ales, she had a mojito ( that worked :lol: ) and all up was $85. No issues with taking home the left overs, almost everyone there I saw took something home. Our leftovers were more than enough for Miss Boons dinner.

So while you wouldn't say it was cheap it was very, very good and I'll excuse the waitress for the delay between entree and mains, this time. I understand the place is always packed ( at 7pm on a Monday when we were mid meal there was about 15 people lined up to come in and the place would easily seat 80 or more ) and I think she might have been a newbie.

All in all - 8/10 and can highly recommend for those who love Asian cuisine in the Western suburbs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Booney wrote:NNQ - Woodville Road, Woodville.

Mrs and Miss Boon have been here several times and rate the place highly, neighbors also rate the establishment, after a win last night ( see things you rate thread ) Mrs Boon and I went along while Miss was at work.

The waitress asked if we wanted our mains and entree together, I said bring the entree out first.

Shared some spring rolls and some prawn satay sticks to start with. The spring rolls were very, very good and while the prawn satays were very nice they could have done with some extra heat, not spice but extra warming as they were just warm. We then sat for about 10 minutes before the waitress came and asked us if we were ready for our mains. Waited probably 15 more for mains.

I went the Slow Cooked Clay Pot Pork Ribs, Mrs Boon the Curried Lemongrass and Chilli Chicken ( both $16 ) and shared a bowl of fried rice. The pork ribs were simply 10/10 ******* awesome. Melt in your mouth, fall a part, wallowing in a salty/sweet broth of deliciousness. Pork pieces, about 8-10 of them around 5cm*5cm*3cm thick. I didn't finish and I go ok on the tooth. Mrs Boons chicken came out on a bed of stir fried veg ( I love onion and capsicum done this way ) and there would have been about 8-10 solid pieces of chicken. Couldn't finish them between us.

I had two Vale ales, she had a mojito ( that worked :lol: ) and all up was $85. No issues with taking home the left overs, almost everyone there I saw took something home. Our leftovers were more than enough for Miss Boons dinner.

So while you wouldn't say it was cheap it was very, very good and I'll excuse the waitress for the delay between entree and mains, this time. I understand the place is always packed ( at 7pm on a Monday when we were mid meal there was about 15 people lined up to come in and the place would easily seat 80 or more ) and I think she might have been a newbie.

All in all - 8/10 and can highly recommend for those who love Asian cuisine in the Western suburbs.

The Spring Rolls are awesome, something about that crispy skin that makes them better than they should be.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 660 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Stumps » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:30 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
Booney wrote:NNQ - Woodville Road, Woodville.

The Spring Rolls are awesome, something about that crispy skin that makes them better than they should be.

agree, NNQ spring rolls are crazy good. Top shelf place.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:53 am

With both kids away on Tuesday night we ventured down to the Victory Hotel at Sellicks, about a 30 min drive but well worth it as it is one of our favourites. I love pubs that still have a raw feel about them but serve above average pub grub. Casual feel but food is top notch.

We both went for a steak, scotch fillet and a rump, both medium and fantastic, although the seafood dishes are usually my go down there. Wife couldn;t get thru all hers. Used the entertainment book so with a few beers cost less than $60.

If you haven't been make sure you do at some stage, even better on a lazy summer afternoon/evening looking over the Southern beaches/vales.

Only criticism is they don't have the local craft brews on tap which surprised me.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:59 am

Dutchy wrote:
Only criticism is they don't have the local craft brews on tap which surprised me.

Bet they have a contract with a multinational commercial brewer.....
heater31

Has liked: 526 times
Been liked: 1273 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:06 pm

heater31 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Bet they have a contract with a multinational commercial brewer.....

And locals who like the tried and true favourites of SA - my late great dear old Dad used to hold a weekly "Board" meeting on a Friday with his mates down there.

Just made a booking down there for the missus' birthday in two weeks.

Extremely satisfying knowing i can enjoy a ripping steak or CJ/KI whiting washed down with a refreshing Pint of WED!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1915 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:02 pm

Well we must've got The Victory on a bad night, my experience was basically a ban job
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 12310 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 am

Did a good ol' fashioned pub crawl through Semaphore on Saturday afternoon. The Glanville, Monkey House, Cumby, Exeter, Fed, Semaphore, Palais....hiccup.

Anywho, on the roll through we stopped at the Exeter for a feed. Front bar has a double burger ( 2 x pattie, bacon, cheese with lettuce and BBQ sauce ) and a Beam and Coke for $18.

Now, while my judgement was a bit cloudy and my belly a little full of beer I couldn't get through the burger, I even took one of the patties out mid way through and couldn't get the job done. Had no issues with the Beam, or the 12 or so I had after that.

For $18, can't go wrong and I saw on Facebook some other pubs had the same deal. Good value.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:04 am

Went to the Cumby for a feed and beers before a gig on Sat night, despite my eyes popping out I eventually got to the menu....they have a parmi called the Big Chief, a parmi for those that cannot decide between chicken or beef, its both! Half/half just like a pizza, superb*!!!!

*may not be as good if sober
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Couple of recent ones

Went to Rundle spices tonight, a Thai joint

Spring rolls and chicken randan for entrees. Spring rolls weren't bad by any means but nothing special. Randan was very good.

I had a Thai green curry for main, it was very hot, pushing up towards my limit, but the flavours were awesome. Tasted a bit like the recipe i try to make st home - big eggplant and kaffir lime and coriander flavours. Was sensational.

Mrs had Rundle spices noodles or something which seemed like a pretty standard fried noodles type dish but there was plenty of it and it was tasty.

$67 with a glass of wine and a beer. And the staff were very friendly to our 1 year old.

Recommend, 7.5/10

Second place was city-zen on king William st. went there as part of a large group for a birthday on a Monday and the service wasn't great. Two other tables had their mains before we even had our entrees. And then they got the entree order wrong when it did come out.

Once we finally got the food though it was really good. Shared entrees and 6 mains between 6 of us, plus drinks, came to about $87

The service seemed ok on other tables so I would be willing to give them another crack. 6.5 for this visit but with a "normal" standard of service add another point
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Stumps » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 am

Going to Jamies Italian this week, whats good , what isn't?
Cheers
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion