Things that make you laugh

Anything!

Re: Things that make you laugh

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:The EPL.

Every year there's only 3 or 4 teams that can win it, every year a couple of the sides that come up go right back down and every year there's a bunch of a dozen sides who are no chance of doing either.

How the **** do so many people give a shit about such a compromised uneven playing field? I just don't get it....

Last 5 years of EPL there has been 3 differant Champions.
Despite rigging the fixtures, salary caps, drafts and everything else thats manipulated by the AFL there has been 3 differant Premiers in the last 5 years.
Ask a Dogs, Saints or Tigers fan what its like to have little to no chance of success for years. All comps have their flaws but id take the EPL model everyday thanks

Bar Newcastle ( over 10 years ago ) and Leeds ( 15 years ago ) the same 5 clubs have had a monopoly on the competiton.

United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal have won the last 20 between them and Liverpool get the odd bronze medal. You simply can't compare it to the AFL where the top 4 is rarely known before the last round and in the last 20 years almost every side ( bar a couple ) have been in a prelim at least.

In fact, I think everyone has bar Gold Coast and GWS. St Kilda, the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton have all played in prelims at worst since 1995....

*EDIT*

Yep, Geelong beat Richmond in the 95 prelim.
Last edited by Booney on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Every year there's only 3 or 4 teams that can win it, every year a couple of the sides that come up go right back down and every year there's a bunch of a dozen sides who are no chance of doing either.

How the **** do so many people give a shit about such a compromised uneven playing field? I just don't get it....

Despite rigging the fixtures, salary caps, drafts and everything else thats manipulated by the AFL there has been 3 differant Premiers in the last 5 years.
Ask a Dogs, Saints or Tigers fan what its like to have little to no chance of success for years. All comps have their flaws but id take the EPL model everyday thanks

Extend your sample to beyond 5 yrs. What's the comparison at 10, 15 & 20 years?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Jim05 wrote:

What spend more money and you win

At least clubs like Sydney and Geelong can win the Australian Football premierships without spending mega $$$$

Tried watching the bore fest on Sat and Sun night but nup.

Most overated competition in the world as proven by England's results on the European and World stage.

it hurts agreeing with a Port supporter
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Q. wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

At 20 yrs its:

4 (EPL) vs 10 (AFL)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Q. wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

At 20 yrs its:

4 (EPL) vs 10 (AFL)

In the last 20 years all clubs have at least played in a prelim final ( so top 4 finish ) bar Gold Coast and GWS.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Bar Newcastle ( over 10 years ago ) and Leeds ( 15 years ago ) the same 5 clubs have had a monopoly on the competiton.

United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal have won the last 20 between them and Liverpool get the odd bronze medal. You simply can't compare it to the AFL where the top 4 is rarely known before the last round and in the last 20 years almost every side ( bar a couple ) have been in a prelim at least.

In fact, I think everyone has bar Gold Coast and GWS. St Kilda, the Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton have all played in prelims at worst since 1995....

Yeah I fully understand that but $$ isnt a guarantee, it certainly helps. I think Spurs have spent the most in the last 2 seasons for a 5th placed finish. Still have to spend the money wisely. I love it that everyone still has an equatable draw and I love seeing new sides like Bournemouth have their day in the sun. For a small town club that was nearly extinct to join the top tier a few years later is amazing, they may go straight back down but their fans will remember it forever. If clubs are not financially competant they simply go bust not propped up like current AFL clubs that continue to drain the comp and grassroots football. The high transfer fees in the EPL can be a godsend for lower league sides aswell. As I said both leagues are not without flaws but I could watch a dozen games of soccer a week, football im lucky to get through a couple of quarters of AFL before switching it off
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3563 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:44 pm

I am a new fan, pretty much since i got foxtel so i can watch the games, but I still enjoy it. Its almost like there are four mini comps within the one premier league - Teams fighting for the title, teams fighting for the remaining europe places, mid tier teams, and teams fighting for survival.

I have often wondered what the point is of following one of those mid table teams, but i am still enjoying learning about the comp, so im willing to give it more time
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:I am a new fan, pretty much since i got foxtel so i can watch the games, but I still enjoy it. Its almost like there are four mini comps within the one premier league - Teams fighting for the title, teams fighting for the remaining europe places, mid tier teams, and teams fighting for survival.

I have often wondered what the point is of following one of those mid table teams, but i am still enjoying learning about the comp, so im willing to give it more time

The only thing they have to worry about is having a shit year and heading to the relegation zone, or, like Leeds, going broke.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I am a new fan, pretty much since i got foxtel so i can watch the games, but I still enjoy it. Its almost like there are four mini comps within the one premier league - Teams fighting for the title, teams fighting for the remaining europe places, mid tier teams, and teams fighting for survival.

The only thing they have to worry about is having a shit year and heading to the relegation zone, or, like Leeds, going broke.

To be brutally honest though, we could say the same about the Crows, Richmond, Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Essendon over the past 15 years or so. None of those teams really bottom out, but could i say for certainty that the crows will challenge for a flag in the next 5 years? No.

I guess there is still that little bit of hope though, which is different to say an Everton which knows it will never ever ever win the Premiership
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

To be brutally honest though, we could say the same about the Crows, Richmond, Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Essendon over the past 15 years or so. None of those teams really bottom out, but could i say for certainty that the crows will challenge for a flag in the next 5 years? No.

I guess there is still that little bit of hope though, which is different to say an Everton which knows it will never ever ever win the Premiership

Without hope, there's nothing. ;)

That's precisely my point, the Evertons, Aston Villas....the best they can hope for is falling into a spot in the FA Cup final and getting to the UEFA Eurpoean League (IIRC) from there.

How you could front up year after year knowing that the ultimate is simply not within the reach of your club and never will be baffles me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:31 pm

All AFL teams at the start of the season still think they are a chance to at least make finals but there are 15 EPL teams that know they are no chance.

Was talking to a Sunderland supporter on the weekend and he is hoping they will finish tenth, Fancy going into an AFL season hoping for 10th (Carlton would be happy with that)

I do enjoy the EPL though
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby valleys07 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Booney wrote:As a fan- how you could front up year after year knowing that the ultimate is simply not within the reach of your club and never will be baffles me.

FTFY.

Players probably wouldn't give a rats, given the serious $$$ that they take home at the end of it all.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:43 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Booney wrote:As a fan- how you could front up year after year knowing that the ultimate is simply not within the reach of your club and never will be baffles me.

FTFY.

Players probably wouldn't give a rats, given the serious $$$ that they take home at the end of it all.

Even more reason to chuckle then.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:48 pm

You forgot that in England the fans are alot more tribal. The fans are born into a club they dont choose a club, more often than not they are either born in the town or their parents/grandparents etc have supported a club all their life. These people go for the club because they feel it represents their patch of turf.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:

You forgot that in England the fans are alot more tribal. The fans are born into a club they dont choose a club, more often than not they are either born in the town or their parents/grandparents etc have supported a club all their life. These people go for the club because they feel it represents their patch of turf.

Poor bastards. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Rubbish. If you would of said 15 years ago that Chelsea or Man City would be this successful you would be laughed at. Both were mediocre clubs that hadnt won stuff all and were jokes of an outfit. A couple of billionaires changed that quickly. You cant say for certain that another billionaire wont tire of his play toys and buy someone like a Everton or Villa and transform them into title winning sides. I think the billionaire foreign owners have hurt the comp more than anything else. The FFP rules are starting to have some ramifications and guess we will have to wait a few more years for it to take affect properly
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Poor bastards. :lol:

Could be worse, could follow South Adelaide :D
Jim05
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:

This is true though I dont think it is much different to most sports - It is very rare for someone to change allegiances and if you do it is looked won upon.

But I guess as a young lad you are usually given the freedom to choose for yourself
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:25 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Rubbish. If you would of said 15 years ago that Chelsea or Man City would be this successful you would be laughed at. Both were mediocre clubs that hadnt won stuff all and were jokes of an outfit A couple of billionaires changed that quickly. You cant say for certain that another billionaire wont tire of his play toys and buy someone like a Everton or Villa and transform them into title winning sides. I think the billionaire foreign owners have hurt the comp more than anything else. The FFP rules are starting to have some ramifications and guess we will have to wait a few more years for it to take affect properly

There you have it....unless you get some pissed up vodka baron come along and fund a championship you're just another mob hoping for a draw each week to give you a point.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Manchester Utd supporters being the exception ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5533 times
Been liked: 5161 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion