DIY Projects

Anything!

DIY Projects

Postby Dutchy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:07 pm

OK so we don't have any excuses left not to complete the DIY jobs around the house, that "one day" has now come :( :roll:

Anyway we might as well share what we are doing and share tricks and tips, what have you been doing?

On the weekend I had some sunken pavers on the driveway, so pulled* 5 rows up, flattened the ground and re-laid them, everything was looking great and feeling quite proud of myself, the hand brake even gave me some positive feedback. Until I went to put the last row back and the last 5 pavers wouldn't fit :evil: was about 2-3 mil out, nothing I did would make them fit, quick message out to a few mates and within 20 mins I had an angle grinder to cut the pavers to fit, poured new paving sand over the top, a bit of water and job done, phew.

Other job we have been jointly doing is cleaning the grout between the tiles in our house, hard work but the results have been excellent, mind you we have only done about 30sqm and have about 110sqm to go :roll: going to try and do a bit each day while working from home.

Wife wants me to pain the house, the house was new 12 years ago so Im resisting, has anyone had much success with washing the walls? I reckon if we can clean the walls and get some marks off them it will look pretty good and save me doing the paint job.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: DIY Projects

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:OK so we don't have any excuses left not to complete the DIY jobs around the house, that "one day" has now come :( :roll:

Anyway we might as well share what we are doing and share tricks and tips, what have you been doing?

On the weekend I had some sunken pavers on the driveway, so pulled* 5 rows up, flattened the ground and re-laid them, everything was looking great and feeling quite proud of myself, the hand brake even gave me some positive feedback. Until I went to put the last row back and the last 5 pavers wouldn't fit :evil: was about 2-3 mil out, nothing I did would make them fit, quick message out to a few mates and within 20 mins I had an angle grinder to cut the pavers to fit, poured new paving sand over the top, a bit of water and job done, phew.

Other job we have been jointly doing is cleaning the grout between the tiles in our house, hard work but the results have been excellent, mind you we have only done about 30sqm and have about 110sqm to go :roll: going to try and do a bit each day while working from home.

Wife wants me to pain the house, the house was new 12 years ago so Im resisting, has anyone had much success with washing the walls? I reckon if we can clean the walls and get some marks off them it will look pretty good and save me doing the paint job.

Sugar soap works well.

We done a fair bit of work in the garden over the weekend, once there was no more we could do I went around to the wife's ex's house and helped him with his too, he had started cleaning the grout in his tiles too, I told him I'll come give him a hand this weekend coming.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:18 pm

We painted the man cave / rumpus room on Friday / Saturday, tape, cutting in, walls on Friday, tape, cutting in and ceiling on Saturday.

We've been in the house nearly 13 years and it badly needed it, more so gave me a chance to take all the posters/images down, patch the holes and think about the lay out more whilst putting proper gyprock anchors in place. Made a huge difference, looks so much more inviting.

Next week the laundry will get the same treatment with a view to doing the kitchen in the coming weeks.

Sunday the hamstrings were shattered from the up/down the ladder and silly old me decided that would be the perfect time to do some garden work, get moving I thought to myself. Was fine while I was moving, spent most of yesterday in constant fear of the hammy's cramping up every time I moved.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:56 pm

Another thing we have done is take in a lodger. One of juniors friends, a female ( friend zoned ) moved over from Colac about 18 months ago, was in a share house and things were going pear shaped there and she needed somewhere to live. Junior had intended to move out and share with her one day, we suggested now isn't the time to be taking that risk ( with employment etc ) and we'd be happy for her to move in for a period of time. We've gone with 3 months for now then reassess, having said that with her work and study she's barely seen. Our spare room was basically full of shit covered in dust so we cleaned that out ready for her arrival.

We got rid of so much shit we just didn't need we then got the drive to clean out the linen cupboard and dropped a heap of gear at Goodwill, we went through the "junk draws" in the kitchen and threw away chargers from phones that have been dead longer than Michael Jackson, we cleaned up and married up the Tupperware cupboard, anything without a lid stayed but any lid without a tub went.

We've had a really good tidy up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:OK so we don't have any excuses left not to complete the DIY jobs around the house, that "one day" has now come :( :roll:

I think you would be really good at this..
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby LMA » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Shifted my dartboard from the garage to the outdoor area where it will get more use. Now have to patch up the garage wall where my son and his bonehead mates thought it would be good to throw darts from 6m away.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:29 am

LMA wrote:Shifted my dartboard from the garage to the outdoor area where it will get more use. Now have to patch up the garage wall where my son and his bonehead mates thought it would be good to throw darts from 6m away.

They must be novice, we used to do that facing the other way and throwing them from between our legs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Pag » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 am

Cleaned and re-oiled our back deck yesterday.

Got a skip coming today. We pulled down old lattice screening and replaced with horizontal wood panelling in January. A lot of crap from that has been sitting in the backyard since so got anfoll outdoor clean lined up this week while the skip is here.

Got some frames I’ve gotta put up in the man cave/rumpus.

Gotta go through a huge stack of old DVDs and chuck on Gumtree.

In between trying to keep a two year old occupied.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
LMA wrote:Shifted my dartboard from the garage to the outdoor area where it will get more use. Now have to patch up the garage wall where my son and his bonehead mates thought it would be good to throw darts from 6m away.

They must be novice, we used to do that facing the other way and throwing them from between our legs.

Blindfolded after a skinful too
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:12 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Blindfolded after a skinful too

No doubt.

Spreading the hand out over the dartboard while your mate tried to get treble 20 was always a winner too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion