Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Re: SA Golf Course Reviews

Postby Iron Fist » Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:Playing Kooyonga on Monday for a corporate day so will update on the course there.

Look forward to it, Im playing there on the Quuens Birthday Monday (then onto the Bay 8) )

One thing i cant get used to at Koey is they encourage you to walk your buggy across the greens to ease the traffic around the green...just doesnt feel right!

what??
they want you to walk ya buggy over the green??
that just doesnt make sense?!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 04, 2009 1:17 pm

it does when you think about it, just doesnt feel right doing it!

If your buggy has the flat slick tyres it doesnt do any damage to the greens, yet if you get everyone walking around the edges of the greens the traffic (especially when wet) can wreck the fringes and once worn and muddy can get very hard to recover
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2337 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Big Phil wrote:Have got my monthly social club round up at Belair on Sunday morning...

Anyone that has played up there recently tell me me what condition the course is in at present ?

Played there last year after a few days of rain and it becomes quite boggy, wet and muddy ???

Forgot to post how I went at Belair on the weekend...

We were scheduled to tee off at 7.30am but because I had to get back to Prospect Oval the same afternoon by late midday, I arranged to be in the first group that teed off at 7.10am !!

It was so bloody cold and my hands were that stiff, it was really hard to get a firm grip* on my club. Got of to a reasonable start with a bogey at 1 (after a duffed chip shot) and then made par on the par 3, 2nd.

On the short par 4, 3rd I managed to smack my driver straight up the guts and was on the green in 1, putting for an eagle !! Missed the 15 footer and tapped in for birdie which I was happy with.

Had a couple more bogeys and pars to shoot 43 of the stick for the front 9 which wasn't too bad considering my short game had gone to sh!t but was hitting irons and driver well. Playing off 25, I figured if I could shoot another score similar on the back 9, I'd be in with a chance to win the day.

Made par of the 10th (longish par 3 with 2 tier green) and then bogey on the 11th after my tee shot just rolled down the hill into the gully and I had to come out sideways. Stepped up to the 12th tee block confident I was hitting my driver well and that I may be able to reach the raised green at the top of the gully going back through the 11th.

My tee shot went close to 280m and was over the back of the green where I duffed 2 chip shots, 1 in the bunker and 3 putted for 8. Lost a bit of confidence after that and had 18 strokes in the next 3 holes which blew my back 9 score out to 48 for a toal 91 off the stick.

I had to leave for the footy after the round so handed my card in not knowing if was a chance or not (with a nett 66) to win it. Spoke to may mate last night at basketball who stayed back and he said I was announced the winner (temporarily) until the last group came in late and someone else had pipped me by 1 stroke.

Then on countback, I fell to equal 3rd :evil:

Oh well, look forward to the next round where hopefully I can continue my good form !!

Cheers,

BP
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 am

Well Dutchy I can tell you that two weeks ago Kooyonga was in fantastic condition and I would expect with the recent rain that it would only be looking even better now.

No temp greens or tee's and the greens were in great nick.

The $4m they have spent on the club house is money well spent as the dining/al fresco area is really nice and the change rooms and pro shop have had a face lift.

The corporate day I went to started in fits of laughter as one of my guests ( I invited 3 people to attend with me ) hit off at the 13th where we started ( playing best ball ) and proceeded to tee up his next shot in the middle of the fairway!! LMFAO. Funny thing was, he said he did it all the way round last year! I guess nobody had the guts to tell him otherwise. Anyway, I said to him he needs to hit the ball off the ground from now on. " Well ,thats going to make it hard ". Three of us picked ourselves up off the grass and moved on. THe whole day was spolied by one team who had two "ring ins", one playing off 2 the other off 4. On a still day at Kooyonga that team shot 58 off the stick, therefore winning the day by 8 strokes ( with some sort of handicap system in place - who knows what ) and ruined it for every one else.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Iron Fist » Fri May 15, 2009 9:42 am

Booney wrote:Well Dutchy I can tell you that two weeks ago Kooyonga was in fantastic condition and I would expect with the recent rain that it would only be looking even better now.

The $4m they have spent on the club house is money well spent as the dining/al fresco area is really nice and the change rooms and pro shop have had a face lift.

The corporate day I went to started in fits of laughter as one of my guests ( I invited 3 people to attend with me ) hit off at the 13th where we started ( playing best ball ) and proceeded to tee up his next shot in the middle of the fairway!! LMFAO. Funny thing was, he said he did it all the way round last year! I guess nobody had the guts to tell him otherwise. Anyway, I said to him he needs to hit the ball off the ground from now on. " Well ,thats going to make it hard ". Three of us picked ourselves up off the grass and moved on. THe whole day was spolied by one team who had two "ring ins", one playing off 2 the other off 4. On a still day at Kooyonga that team shot 58 off the stick, therefore winning the day by 8 strokes ( with some sort of handicap system in place - who knows what ) and ruined it for every one else.

was that a work thing booney??
would ruin it having a few blokes hitting of 2 and 4!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Iron Fist » Fri May 15, 2009 9:45 am

not really a review or anything but
last friday night I played night golf at riverside for the first time
it was ambrose, not bad at all, we all had a few beers and a good laugh!
must comment on the balls though, they were as hard as a rock!
were hard to drive and with my driver, I reckon i have lost some hearing cause of them! made a real piercing noise off the tee!
they were also alot faster on the greens!
another thing that made it hard was the fact when putting you couldnt read the green as there was no light, made for a challenging game though
my group went around 1 over, which was ok considering how bad our driving was!
all in all a good night, if anyone gets a chance to play night golf anywhere do it as its a good laugh!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Booney » Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am

Iron Fist wrote:
Booney wrote:Well Dutchy I can tell you that two weeks ago Kooyonga was in fantastic condition and I would expect with the recent rain that it would only be looking even better now.

Yeah, a work thing.Most blokes hitting of the max 27 handicap. Worst part was the guys off 2 and 4 were ring ins, thye had nothing to do with the Assosciation that organised the day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Iron Fist » Fri May 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

Yeah, a work thing.Most blokes hitting of the max 27 handicap. Worst part was the guys off 2 and 4 were ring ins, thye had nothing to do with the Assosciation that organised the day.

can ruin what would be a greta day sometimes!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 pm

i thought 32 was the max handicap or is 27 total for the group when playing best ball??????
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11935 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby magpie in the 80's » Sun May 17, 2009 7:15 pm

the maximum aust handicap for men is 27 as of 2006

A grade - up to 4
B grade - 5 to 12
C grade - 13 to 19
D grade - 20 to 27
E grade - over 27 (clubs can impose this grade)

source: golf aust.org
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out. - Rodney Dangerfield (1921 - 2004)
magpie in the 80's
Coach

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:02 am

cheers

i guess different clubs and groups can make up there own rules as they go along
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11935 times
Been liked: 3639 times

Postby heater31 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
i guess different clubs and groups can make up there own rules as they go along

They are called Club handicaps MT. You only have to submit 3 cards to gain a club handicap. Or it used to be.

To get an Australian Handicap 5 cards must be submitted in a 12 month period
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby schimma » Mon May 18, 2009 11:45 am

The smosh west lakes golf club got underway on the weekend. we are playing every 3 weeks on a sunday. Yesterday we played at Willunga. Great course. fairways were nice greens were a bit 2 paced but the rain would not have helped. Good day all round and it was not too busy so we got around in good time.
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Iron Fist » Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 am

schimma wrote:The smosh west lakes golf club got underway on the weekend. we are playing every 3 weeks on a sunday. Yesterday we played at Willunga. Great course. fairways were nice greens were a bit 2 paced but the rain would not have helped. Good day all round and it was not too busy so we got around in good time.

I rate willunga as a course
everytime I have played there, have really enjoyed it!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Iron Fist » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am

magpie in the 80's wrote:the maximum aust handicap for men is 27 as of 2006

A grade - up to 4
B grade - 5 to 12
C grade - 13 to 19
D grade - 20 to 27

handicap goes up to 36 now days!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Iron Fist wrote:

A grade - up to 4
B grade - 5 to 12
C grade - 13 to 19
D grade - 20 to 27

no it doesn't. Official Australian Handicaps for men stop at 27 as Mags pointed out. from 27 to 36 is at the discretion of the club and therefore are only counted as club handicaps.

I know of some exclusive clubs in the eastern states that do not allow you onto their course unless you have an official Australian Handicap. If your handicap is greater than 27 then you must play at the club's 2nd course or at another club.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Iron Fist » Wed May 20, 2009 10:23 am

heater31 wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

A grade - up to 4
B grade - 5 to 12
C grade - 13 to 19
D grade - 20 to 27

no it doesn't. Official Australian Handicaps for men stop at 27 as Mags pointed out. from 27 to 36 is at the discretion of the club and therefore are only counted as club handicaps.

I know of some exclusive clubs in the eastern states that do not allow you onto their course unless you have an official Australian Handicap. If your handicap is greater than 27 then you must play at the club's 2nd course or at another club.

fair enough
I just thought it was 36 cause thats what my brother started off on, he has dropped it since then though!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby schimma » Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm

has anyone played at the Wirrina Cove resort course. what is it like?
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Browny25 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Anyone played at port lincoln?
Browny25
Coach

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby Iron Fist » Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm

schimma wrote:has anyone played at the Wirrina Cove resort course. what is it like?

there isnt a resort anymore schimma
or it was closed when I was there over australia day!
didnt even know there was a course there?
Iron Fist
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf