FIFA for dummies

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

FIFA for dummies

Postby Gingernuts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Calling all seasoned gamers!

I bought a PS3 a while back and have been on the hunt for a cheap sports game (I'm not a massive gamer, so not going to pay full price) to get cranking on the big screen.

I managed to pick up FIFA World Cup 2010 for 15 bucks and have tried to qualify for the World Cup with Aust but I am fricking hopeless.

Given I have only a basic knowledge of soccer, reality is I need a rundown on the basic concepts. For example formations, player positions, subbing players, set plays, corner setups etc.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get something like this to have a read through?
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Re: FIFA for dummies

Postby mickey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:21 pm

1st of all what skill level do you have it on ginger?

Most of the standard squads, line ups etc should get you by to start with...
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Dirko » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Learn the offside rule and then it all flows from there ;)
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gingernuts » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

mickey wrote:1st of all what skill level do you have it on ginger?

Most of the standard squads, line ups etc should get you by to start with...

Hmmmm. So I'm just shit then am I? :?

:lol:

I'm gonna give it another crack soon. My main problems are:

- getting shots to go on target
- getting crosses to go anywhere near the goal front
- double passing is giving me the shits. I manage to steal the ball but in my vigourous tapping the next player in the chain of passing quite often just punts out out. Grrr.

I'm sure with practice I'll get over these problems.

SJABC wrote:Learn the offside rule and then it all flows from there ;)

Yea, got that covered mate. It did take me a good couple of years to work out though I must admit! :lol:
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby RoosterMarty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Even though the teams Australia have to beat to qualify aren't crash hot maybe just start with one of the good teams so you can at least learn the game before taking control of a team like Australia.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby Gingernuts » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:Even though the teams Australia have to beat to qualify aren't crash hot maybe just start with one of the good teams so you can at least learn the game before taking control of a team like Australia.

Yea, I thought given I'd be lining up against average teams in qualifying that I'd be okay but it seems not.

Might have to give it a run with Germany or England or something to help me get my eye in. :)
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:22 am

Is there a button to take a dive and roll around holding your ankle?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 am

Gingernuts wrote:
RoosterMarty wrote:Even though the teams Australia have to beat to qualify aren't crash hot maybe just start with one of the good teams so you can at least learn the game before taking control of a team like Australia.

Yea, I thought given I'd be lining up against average teams in qualifying that I'd be okay but it seems not.

Might have to give it a run with Germany or England or something to help me get my eye in. :)

No way mate. Start with the Aussies. Best formation I find is the 442 which is four defenders, four mids and two strikers.
While Josh Kennedy is a good player in real life, he is hopeless in the game, use attackers with good foot speed (Kewell, Cahill, McDonald etc).
Using X to tackle is the best method, I find holding ex or tapping it as you get close is best to avoid booting the ball away after winning it.
The best way to goal is by far the through ball (triangle) method while counter attacking.
The best way to get a shot on target is to use the placed shot, which would involve shooting (O) while holding either L1 or R1, depending on your control set up.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 548 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Gingernuts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:46 am

OnSong wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

No way mate. Start with the Aussies. Best formation I find is the 442 which is four defenders, four mids and two strikers.
While Josh Kennedy is a good player in real life, he is hopeless in the game, use attackers with good foot speed (Kewell, Cahill, McDonald etc).
Using X to tackle is the best method, I find holding ex or tapping it as you get close is best to avoid booting the ball away after winning it.
The best way to goal is by far the through ball (triangle) method while counter attacking.
The best way to get a shot on target is to use the placed shot, which would involve shooting (O) while holding either L1 or R1, depending on your control set up.

Sweet OnSong, that's exactly the types of tips I was after. Thanks mate! :D
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby OnSong » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 am

Gingernuts wrote:
OnSong wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

Practice chipping the goal keeper as well. This shot is pivotal when one on one as when you get good at it, it rarely misses. Again, it's just shooting (O) with L1 or R1 depending on your set up. It might be L2 or R2, just check your configuration.
Crossing, well, what's to understand, run to about 10 meters from the end of the field in the corner and hit square. I reckon you can turn on cross assisting and pass assisting in your game settings. This will help with crossing accuracy and depth.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Cool, thanks again mate. Will give all of that a go and see how I fare.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
OnSong wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

Us cool guys like too power them into the top corner 8)
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:53 pm

or to just curl them round the wall...
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby mickey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Any luck yet there ginger??

havent played much FIFA over the last few years, been on the PES bandwagon.. so not overly helpful for hints and tips.. although i did manage to beat my mate who is a fifa tragic the other week, he was mighty pissed ;)
mickey
Coach

Postby Gingernuts » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:45 pm

mickey wrote:Any luck yet there ginger??

havent played much FIFA over the last few years, been on the PES bandwagon.. so not overly helpful for hints and tips.. although i did manage to beat my mate who is a fifa tragic the other week, he was mighty pissed ;)

Haven't had a chance yet mickey! In laws came down to visit last weekend, so bye bye PS3 time. :lol:
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Postby mickey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:31 pm

When the inlaws come around i find its the perfect time to get the xbox out, they dont seem to get the hint though ;)
mickey
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I prefer PES as well actually, I've been playing that mainly for the last few years but I still get FIFA because it comes out a fortnight or so before PES.

FIFA World Cup is better than FIFA 11 because it is at a lot faster pace, they slowed FIFA 11 right down and made the AI defence on the top levels very difficult to penetrate because they knew exactly what you were doing.
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times

Postby OnSong » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:

I prefer PES as well actually, I've been playing that mainly for the last few years but I still get FIFA because it comes out a fortnight or so before PES.

FIFA World Cup is better than FIFA 11 because it is at a lot faster pace, they slowed FIFA 11 right down and made the AI defence on the top levels very difficult to penetrate because they knew exactly what you were doing.

I don't know about difficult to penetrate. Depends how good your own players are. I play on World Class and would get beaten once every 50 matches or so by a Chelsea or Man U. That's with a squad rating of about 4 to 4 and a half stars.

In manager mode, by far the best recruit is Franco Di Santo from Wigan Athletic. Starts as a 75 OVR and grows to about 90 OVR in about three to four seasons. He's 6" 4 so in the air, even the best defenders struggle to stop him.

Another cheap gun is Lee Seung Youll (sp?) from one of the Asian leagues. Starts as a 68 and grows to 88 or 89 in four or five years. Guns.
OnSong
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets