Apple Lion

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Apple Lion

Postby Brucetiki » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 am

Just installed Lion on my Macbook Pro.

Must say it is overrated to say the least. Lots of fancy multi touch gestures, but simple things like allowing 32-bit software (like wireless broadband modems) is actually HARDER to do (despite promising they'll make it operate without having to stand on the 3 and 2 keys when starting up) on it.

Also, takes a hell of a lot longer to start up and close down.

I'm disappointed. I expected better.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 198 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Apple Lion

Postby dedja » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 am

I've upgraded to Lion as well, and whilst there are some benefits, there are also a few gotchas.

Older apps may not run, so worth checking before you upgrade, and also timemachine backups to non-apple HDD or NAS devices may not work as Apple have changed the protocol they use.

The lag you notice at startup/shutdown is most probably the new 'save' feature to allow you to reopen the apps in the state you shutdown in.

If you have an iPod, iPad or iPhone, Mac OS X lion will be more intuitive and the gestures generally mimick those.

It may not be for everyone so if you're happy with Snow Leopard then keep it that way.

Being a new major update expect there to be bugs.

I work in IT so I don't get disappointed ... :lol:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 1059 times

Re: Apple Lion

Postby kickinit » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

The only that has been useful fir me is swipe backwards to go back on safari. The auto save feature is pretty good feature and think windows will follow on ther next os, but for me I hardly do any docs. I like gesture to bring up all apps quick and easy to access a app that I don't use that much. Also the price $32 is pretty good if u ask me
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets