Buying a Laptop

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Buying a Laptop

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:07 pm

kickinit wrote:yeh but in a couple of years he would of needed a new laptop running windows. .

Why?
For what he wants the current version of Windows will be fine in 10 years time. :?
And if you want to talk software we all know that PCs have a much broader (and cheaper) range of software. :?

More dollars than sense but good on him, they are nice machines. If I worked in photo or video editting and my place of employment used Macs I'd probably consider one myself.

If I wanted a laptop for what Mal wants I'd fork out about $500, hell I forked out $650 a few weeks ago to one that will play the latest version of any game, I5 processor, 4gb of ram, 500gb HD and nice nvideo graphics card. Mind you it was a $800 machine, god bless catalogue mess ups and getting to the shop early. ;)
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2139 times
Been liked: 4077 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby kickinit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:yeh but in a couple of years he would of needed a new laptop running windows. .

Why?
For what he wants the current version of Windows will be fine in 10 years time. :?
And if you want to talk software we all know that PCs have a much broader (and cheaper) range of software. :?

More dollars than sense but good on him, they are nice machines. If I worked in photo or video editting and my place of employment used Macs I'd probably consider one myself.

If I wanted a laptop for what Mal wants I'd fork out about $500, hell I forked out $650 a few weeks ago to one that will play the latest version of any game, I5 processor, 4gb of ram, 500gb HD and nice nvideo graphics card. Mind you it was a $800 machine, god bless catalogue mess ups and getting to the shop early. ;)

yes the the current version of windows will still be fine in 10 years as xp is about to have it's 10th birthday this year. But by that time the laptop would be in the bin as it is a well known fact that windows based computers have a shorter life span then a mac does because of running anti-virus, which is constantly running. And who buys software these days anyway? I actually do have windows running on my macbook but i run my in a virtual machine which alows me to run it off a external hardrive, so if I ever get a virus all I have to do is reformat my external harddrive
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby dedja » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:14 pm

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Why?

yes the the current version of windows will still be fine in 10 years as xp is about to have it's 10th birthday this year. But by that time the laptop would be in the bin as it is a well known fact that windows based computers have a shorter life span then a mac does because of running anti-virus, which is constantly running. And who buys software these days anyway? I actually do have windows running on my macbook but i run my in a virtual machine which alows me to run it off a external hardrive, so if I ever get a virus all I have to do is reformat my external harddrive

With all due respect that is the biggest load of bull I've ever read!

I'm with Studley's mate on this one ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 1194 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Another Apple fanboy :lol:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby kickinit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 am

With all due respect that is the biggest load of bull I've ever read!

I'm with Studley's mate on this one ...[/quote]

Thats your opinion and everyone is entitled to there own, mine is just coming from my experience along with others i know with some of them being the IT business.

Quichey wrote:Another Apple fanboy :lol:

yep i'll admit that i'm a apple fan boy, but before you call me a apple fanboy go to youtube and type in even microsoft use macs especially at 2.35 where Steve Ballmers is doing a presentation using a mac. So it looks like there are a few apple fanboys around even the Microsoft CEO
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby zipzap » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:35 am

Wedgie wrote:hell I forked out $650 a few weeks ago to one that will play the latest version of any game, I5 processor, 4gb of ram, 500gb HD and nice nvideo graphics card. Mind you it was a $800 machine, god bless catalogue mess ups and getting to the shop early. ;)

What did you get Wedgie? That sounds like the kind of specs I am after. I notice there are I7 processors now - I don't even know what that means. Should I?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Dissident » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:27 am

Hehe, Steve Ballmers.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Dissident » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:30 am

How a modern day machine running antivirus affects the *hardware* of the machine anywhere remotely to the point that it reduces the life-span is beyond me.

To be honest, opinions are fine - but really, that's not an opinion based issue. It's black and white.

Maybe you're getting confused - maybe it's the operating system that won't run in 10 years without a reinstall because of it.

Seriously, it doesn't affect it.

yep i'll admit that i'm a apple fan boy, but before you call me a apple fanboy go to youtube and type in even microsoft use macs especially at 2.35 where Steve Ballmers is doing a presentation using a mac. So it looks like there are a few apple fanboys around even the Microsoft CEO

There's a vast difference between someone who uses a Mac, and a fan boy.

And, we *can* call you an apple fan boy and don't need to see a video before we do - as you just SAID you are :)
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:43 am

Dissident wrote:How a modern day machine running antivirus affects the *hardware* of the machine anywhere remotely to the point that it reduces the life-span is beyond me.

it all sounds a bit phishy if you ask me ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 1194 times

Postby Brucetiki » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:55 pm

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:For what you want it for Mal you could save $900 on that.

yeh but in a couple of years he would of needed a new laptop running windows. apple is more expensive but they last a lot longer then windows. And seeing that the macbook pros have just been released in the last few months i'd expect them to be under the $1000 by the end of the year.

Mal keep and eye out for os lion being released in july you won't want to miss it.

And the cost to update to Lion is about $30 I've heard (compared to $150+ for Windows upgrades)
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Brucetiki » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:01 pm

After the hard drive on my Acer laptop died twice in 12 months (repaired both times under warranty luckily), I decided to purchase a Macbook Pro. With AppleCare and a carry bag ended up costing just over $2000 but IMO has been well worth it. My mate's had a Macbook for about 4 years and still operating just as strong as the day they bought it. Runs very smoothly, software much more reliable, no need for anti-virus.

Only gripe is having to boot up in 32-bit to use my mobile broadband modem (which I'm getting rid off when the contract expires in September anyway), and the government hasn't made eTax Mac compatible yet.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:04 am

The other halfs mac book died not long ago. Had it for 3 years. We have an ACER laptop that is 9 years old, and still going, although slow as hell. So I guess you just never know.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby smac » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:46 pm

I just threw out a 9 year old acer, last year was offline with no anti virus or updates to let it retire peacefully.

Also have a 5 year old LG that's as good as the day I got it, aside from needing a new battery.

Haven't had a mac since one about 9 years ago died one month after the warranty ran out.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:49 am

Yeah my old Compaq PC was my main and only pc for 5 years and still works today, its almost 10.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2139 times
Been liked: 4077 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:43 am

Cheap? ASUS
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 660 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby mal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 am

Had the Apple Macbook Pro now for 11 days
Still going strong and no malFUNCTIONS ...
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 1154 times

Postby Dissident » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:51 am

So you haven't turned it on yet.

Come on, turn it on

;)
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Psyber » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 pm

The Core2Duo ASUS laptop I bought in early 2005 is doing fine, and I have no plans to replace it in the foreseeable future.
I have replaced my AMD 64 3000+ desktop I bought in early 2004 recently, with an i5.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Dissident wrote:So you haven't turned it on yet.

Come on, turn it on

;)

GOLD :lol:
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby stan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:29 am

Wedgie wrote:

Why?

Wedge, I'm in a similar boat for looking for a new laptop, really only want to spend around the $500 mark, simply because I used it really for only emails, work and a bit net.
So what do you recommend? I was thinking I3 or I5, 4gb of ram, hard drive of around 250gB would be nice.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1267 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets