E-Readers

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

E-Readers

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri May 27, 2011 12:36 pm

As someone who likes to read a lot, I am wanting to get an ereader for my birthday in a months time. After doing a little bit of research, I see that there are a few different brands to choose from. Pros & Cons of each, such as with a Kindle you have to buy ebooks from Amazon etc.

I've never seen one, and am unaware of any of my mates having one so its all completely new to me.

Just wandering if anyone else has an ereader, and if so what sort did you get and why? Or if anyone strongly recommends getting one over another.

Cheers
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Re: E-Readers

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm

I bought my partner a Kindle for her birthday. She is a big reader so took about five minutes to adapt to the technology. The advantages are you can buy books and download them in a matter of seconds and they cost between $9.99 and 99 cents. She had some problems with it and there is a website you go to and log on with your details and within minutes - actually just a minute or two - an actual person from their call centre rings you direct and talks you through it. Make sure you buy the leather cover which comes with a built-in light. The other advantage is I get to have more control of the tv remote while she burns up another book on the Kindle. Don't stuff around with the other models - just think about vhs or beta back in the 80's. This unit doesn'tcome second
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Banker » Fri May 27, 2011 7:42 pm

Buy the best.

Amazon Kindle, but buy it from the US.
You wont need the 3G. Just plug it into your USB when you need to buy books.

I bought my Mum a rival brand for Mothers Day and she is already looking to upgrade to a Kindle.

Then learn about torrents, and download all your books for free :twisted:
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby slippersloth » Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 pm

A Kindle in my opinion is definitely the way to go. Myself, my partner and my daughter all have one and they're great. Don't be fooled by the "you can only buy books from Amazon". We have downloaded books from elsewhere and have put them on our Kindles by using a free programme called Calibre that converts the files to the format MOBI used by Kindles. Google Calibre E-book Manager and you'll find the link to download it. We have about 8000 e-books for our Kindles I keep mine in Calibre and just transfer them on and off the Kindle as I want. Also buying books through Amazon is so easy.
slippersloth
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby godoubleblues » Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I too am a Kindle fan, I have one, my missus has one, I reckon they are great
buying from amazon is easy, the books are on your kindle in a minute and as has been mentioned you can convert other formats via calibre which is free to download

I have the 3G and wifi and to show how easy it is, I was at the airport on wed morning, I went to the newsagent and saw 3 books that I was interested in, went back to my seat in the waiting lounge, searched for them at the kindle store on my kindle and had all three of them on my kindle inside 5 minutes and for less than $30, all new releases as well

great for travelling, I have about 40 books on mine at the moment, apparently it can hold about 1500 books
godoubleblues
Coach

Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby auto » Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 am

I brought an E-reader from Dick Smith for $90ish a month or so ago. Go to torrents if you want to download infinty books.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Cheers for the reply guys. Looks like a Kindle it is. Now the choice comes down to getting the WiFi or the 3G + WiFi version. Probably go for just the WiFi only version since its cheaper and I will just bring it to work and plug into the WiFi system like my phone when I'm here.

I'm guessing the Kindles come with a USB connection as well, in case I do learn about torrents and decide to "purchase" books that way? ;)
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Banker » Mon May 30, 2011 12:34 pm

WIFI and 3G are just a gimmick. You have to charge it via USB anyway
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon May 30, 2011 12:45 pm

Cheers Banker
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby godoubleblues » Mon May 30, 2011 9:10 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Cheers for the reply guys. Looks like a Kindle it is. Now the choice comes down to getting the WiFi or the 3G + WiFi version. Probably go for just the WiFi only version since its cheaper and I will just bring it to work and plug into the WiFi system like my phone when I'm here.

I'm guessing the Kindles come with a USB connection as well, in case I do learn about torrents and decide to "purchase" books that way? ;)

WIFI and 3G is obviously dearer than just WIFI but depends on when and how you want to download books from amazon if you want to do it that way, you can connect to your wireless modem at home with WIFI and if you have 3G you can purchase books from amazon anywhere
you can also import other books formats ie. free downloads from other sites via other software such as calibre
and I charge my kindle with a 240 v adaptor
godoubleblues
Coach

Grassroots Team: Millicent

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Cheers for the reply guys. Looks like a Kindle it is. Now the choice comes down to getting the WiFi or the 3G + WiFi version. Probably go for just the WiFi only version since its cheaper and I will just bring it to work and plug into the WiFi system like my phone when I'm here.

Mate buying the el-cheapo Kindle without 3G is like buying a new car without air conditioning. Don't skimp on the added advantages of this and then live to regret it - believe me
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:02 pm

The kindle is amazing.

Go top shelf.

you will not regret it.

Wifi & 3g

Leather cover, with light.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm

oh yeah the leather cover with the light that pulls out of the top right hand corner is an absolute MUST. Here's another huge advantage in owning this device. We all have family and/or friends who say stuff like "I never what to get you for your birthday or Christmas etc"
Problem solved. They can go online to the Amazon site and get you a gift voucher for $100 or whatever - and then you can download books- sensational!
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:23 pm

It can actually read you the book.

In female or male voice.

The more i learn, the more I love it. ;)

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:32 pm

Dog_ger wrote:It can actually read you the book.

In female or male voice.

The more i learn, the more I love it. ;)

It has voice application?????
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Mrs_Dog_ger's kindle can read you the book in female or male voice.

Dog_ger
Coach

Postby Simon_A » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:02 pm

You have to get wifi and 3G..

I also use mine as a mobile internet device with the 3G.. Free internet anywhere..
Simon_A
Mini-League

Grassroots Team: Central United

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Well, my Kindle arrived on Friday last week. Had a play around with it yesterday and I can safely say that it is amazing. Cheers for all your help in pushing me to the Kindle. I put Agassi's book on there yesterday and am flying through it. Couldn't put it down. :D
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Psyber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:36 am

E-readers slow my reading down enormously.
The speed reading techniques I learned in my Uni days don't work on the bloody things.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Psyber wrote:E-readers slow my reading down enormously.
The speed reading techniques I learned in my Uni days don't work on the bloody things.

The Kindle just gives you one page at a time and speed readers struggle with this but the iPad gives you two pages open just like a book and this allows you to scan blocks of text as you would with and actual paper back. So I'm told!
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets