Backing up data

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Backing up data

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:00 pm

I am basically not an IT expert. Competent (very) with word processing, image management and a few other useful things. I run a laptop on Windows Vista. I just bought a 1TB portable hard drive to back up all my stuff. So I need help….
I know this much… plug it in on a USB port and then what?
Also, can I have my daily useage continuously updating on the external HD if I leave it plugged in?
All or any help will be gratefully received.
My neighbour advised me to chuck it all out and buy a MacBook Pro. Huh?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Psyber » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:19 am

Most of these things come with software to run the back up for you.
My external HDD hot swap box has software called "One Touch Backup", but I find it a bit clunky and use the free Comodo Backup software instead.
Mine is recognised by the OS as soon as it is plugged in much like a USB stick, but some of the more complex sets may have an additional driver on disk that you need to install.
If I leave it plugged in it doesn't get recognised during boot up, but if I then turn it off, then on again, it appears in the drive list.

I'd suggest plug it in to your computer then look in "My Computer" and see if the additional drive has been recognised as being there.
If so you can copy or use any software you like to schedule back ups.
If not look it up and see if there is a driver to install.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Psyber wrote:Most of these things come with software to run the back up for you.
My external HDD hot swap box has software called "One Touch Backup", but I find it a bit clunky and use the free Comodo Backup software instead.
Mine is recognised by the OS as soon as it is plugged in much like a USB stick, but some of the more complex sets may have an additional driver on disk that you need to install.
If I leave it plugged in it doesn't get recognised during boot up, but if I then turn it off, then on again, it appears in the drive list.

I'd suggest plug it in to your computer then look in "My Computer" and see if the additional drive has been recognised as being there.
If so you can copy or use any software you like to schedule back ups.
If not look it up and see if there is a driver to install.

Thanks P. I have been glued to Apac all morning watching Alan Joyce dish it out. He's a gun and way too smart for Doug Cameron and Bob Brown. Back to topic, The software on my external HD is a bit ambiguous but I'll have another look.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets