Mac Attack.

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Mac Attack.

Postby Psyber » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:22 pm

For all those who believe Mac products are bullet proof:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology/dig ... rid-of-it/
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: Mac Attack.

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:42 pm

only suspecting 600,000 effected by it. Now how many billions have been affected by malware on windows?
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Westsider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 pm

kickinit wrote:only suspecting 600,000 effected by it. Now how many billions have been affected by malware on windows?

How many windows users vs mac users?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby kickinit » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:05 am

Westsider wrote:
kickinit wrote:only suspecting 600,000 effected by it. Now how many billions have been affected by malware on windows?

How many windows users vs mac users?

windows users would out weigh mac users but I think you would fine malware on windows vs malware on macs to be a lot greater. All I know is that ever since I switched to mac a few years ago I have never had a problem, and the funny things is everyone I know that has switched to a mac always say the same thing "I'll never go back to windows".
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby tipper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 am

thats funny, i know people with macs, that run windows on them :lol:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Westsider » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 am

tipper wrote:thats funny, i know people with macs, that run windows on them :lol:

A lot of people do. Hell apple give you that option!

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/guide/windows

Windows get's attacked because it's popular. Not because it's easier.

Based on browser usage 80% of surfers use Windows, 5% Linux, 9% Mac and 1% Mobile

So 600,000 mac users = 5.3 million windows users.

So for a mac that is really widespread.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby dedja » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 am

Add tablets & smartphones to the equation and it's not so rosey for Billy Gates ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been authorised by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1057 times

Postby Westsider » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 am

dedja wrote:Add tablets & smartphones to the equation and it's not so rosey for Billy Gates ...

They are, they're under mobile.

Browser by Platform/OS
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Mobile browser breakdown
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_mobile.asp
Westsider
League - Best 21

Postby Psyber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm

A friend of mine had a Mac mini her son had left running for her after he went overseas to do his Ph.D.
It kept falling over, and although I'm familiar with Linux I couldn't work out how to make a Mac behave.

In the end I built her a cheap Windows XP Pro machine based on and old AMD64 3200+ chip.
It works, and her spreadsheet and data work done at home now works with the systems at Flinders University.
Psyber
Coach

Postby kickinit » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Psyber wrote:A friend of mine had a Mac mini her son had left running for her after he went overseas to do his Ph.D.
It kept falling over, and although I'm familiar with Linux I couldn't work out how to make a Mac behave.

In the end I built her a cheap Windows XP Pro machine based on and old AMD64 3200+ chip.
It works, and her spreadsheet and data work done at home now works with the systems at Flinders University.

"Falling over" ?????

I'm guessing she was using excel to do her spreadsheets? if she was there shouldn't be any problems running it from windows to mac as long as you save it as the right format.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:26 pm

kickinit wrote:
Psyber wrote:A friend of mine had a Mac mini her son had left running for her after he went overseas to do his Ph.D.

"Falling over" ?????

I'm guessing she was using excel to do her spreadsheets? if she was there shouldn't be any problems running it from windows to mac as long as you save it as the right format.

It kept losing icons off the bar at the bottom of the screen, and failed to install some software which seemed to be the correct version for that model when I looked at it.

Yes, she was looking for Excel and Power point presentation compatibility because that's what the department at Flinders used.
She isn't the most technically adapt and may have been making wrong choices in saving her work - her Masters course is in Education.
Psyber
Coach

Postby kickinit » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Psyber wrote:
kickinit wrote:

"Falling over" ?????

It kept losing icons off the bar at the bottom of the screen, and failed to install some software which seemed to be the correct version for that model when I looked at it.

Yes, she was looking for Excel and Power point presentation compatibility because that's what the department at Flinders used.
She isn't the most technically adapt and may have been making wrong choices in saving her work - her Masters course is in Education.

when you open a new program it shows it in the bottom dock but to keep it there you have to right click and select keep in dock. When using microsoft word you have to change the format it saves as, for some reason it saves it automatically with a x on the end.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:18 pm

kickinit wrote: when you open a new program it shows it in the bottom dock but to keep it there you have to right click and select keep in dock.
When using microsoft word you have to change the format it saves as, for some reason it saves it automatically with a x on the end.
That probably explains some of the issues - she and I are used to icons just staying where they appear when installed unless you actively move them.

x on the end? Do you mean .docx the standard format of newer versions of MS Office?
I always set Open Office to save as .doc for wider compatibility with people who haven't upgraded, and can't be bothered with the later .docx utility MS offered.

I think she was trying to use some other free office package her son - a Mac enthusiast - had installed, and said would be compatible with the MS Office at Uni.
It wasn't fully compatible apparently - colours shifted in presentations and formatting changed in documents when transferred.
Anyway it is all solved now and the Mac is no longer in use.
Psyber
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets