Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Re: Advice - Help me get a new Smart Phone

Postby kickinit » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm

i'm pretty sure 4g is mainly around the city as well. my brother lives at west lakes and doesn't get 4g. I know optus is CBD only.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

LOL. Not sure about that as I get 4g comfortably at Littlehampton! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3895 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Within reason I do not really care what my Telstra bill is per month (mobile, iPad, wireless Internet, landline/fax) because it is 80% or more tax deductible anyway. I've always been wary about going to a cut price supplier or provider because if you get an issue where do you go? Telstra peeps might speak Filipino English but at least they do the job
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Wedgie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Within reason I do not really care what my Telstra bill is per month (mobile, iPad, wireless Internet, landline/fax) because it is 80% or more tax deductible anyway. I've always been wary about going to a cut price supplier or provider because if you get an issue where do you go? Telstra peeps might speak Filipino English but at least they do the job

Depends, if you're happy paying double the price for less then its up to you. Check out the forums at whirlpool, all the geeks rave about Kogan, if I had my time again I would definitely have gone for it.
If moneys no object then enjoy the 4g :)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Wedgie wrote:LOL. Not sure about that as I get 4g comfortably at Littlehampton! :lol:

having a look at the map it looks like you get good coverage out there. in the CBD it heads out south to morphettville and north is pretty much kilburn directly across to west beach.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones ... broadband/
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Squids » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:Within reason I do not really care what my Telstra bill is per month (mobile, iPad, wireless Internet, landline/fax) because it is 80% or more tax deductible anyway. I've always been wary about going to a cut price supplier or provider because if you get an issue where do you go? Telstra peeps might speak Filipino English but at least they do the job

Depends, if you're happy paying double the price for less then its up to you. Check out the forums at whirlpool, all the geeks rave about Kogan, if I had my time again I would definitely have gone for it.
If moneys no object then enjoy the 4g :)

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/kogan-mobile.html

Not sure if Kogan is that great.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 am

They're fine, check out the whirlpool forums where you'll actually encounter people with intelligence for details than a site like that. All it is is Telstras 3g service at half the price.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:58 am

Wedgie wrote:They're fine, check out the whirlpool forums where you'll actually encounter people with intelligence for details than a site like that. All it is is Telstras 3g service at half the price.

well everyone knows what telstra customer service is like, so i'm guessing theirs is pretty bad if it's half the price
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They're fine, check out the whirlpool forums where you'll actually encounter people with intelligence for details than a site like that. All it is is Telstras 3g service at half the price.

well everyone knows what telstra customer service is like, so i'm guessing theirs is pretty bad if it's half the price

I've found them fantastic but I was used to Vodafone and 3! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:
kickinit wrote:

I've found them fantastic but I was used to Vodafone and 3! :lol:

well that explain a lot then :lol:
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:06 pm

Just about made up my mind to go iPhone 5. Guy I played golf with today has the iPhone 4 and swears by it. Flogs it but only needs charging every three to five days he reckons. Don't know whether to buy it outright and stick my sim in it and stay on the same Telstra plan, or sign up for a new plan and avoid parting with $799 up front.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Dissident » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Your current sim will fit?
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Dissident wrote:Your current sim will fit?

Errrr? I thought so, but maybe you know more than me so ill have to find out
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Dissident » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:01 pm

You'll have to take the sim in and get a new smaller one mate.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Dissident wrote:You'll have to take the sim in and get a new smaller one mate.

Oh okay, so Telstra shop can transfer the data from my regular sim to a micro sim? Phone book, txt records and pictures?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm

after a bit of cutting it will fit. the chip in the sim has stayed the same size all they have done is gotten rid off the plastic around the sim. While on the iphone 4 there was still a bit of plastic surrounding the chip, on the iPhone 5 there would lucky to be 1mm. to me it is a bit of a risk especially if you want to keep that sim. what plan do you have with telstra?
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 pm

kickinit wrote:after a bit of cutting it will fit. the chip in the sim has stayed the same size all they have done is gotten rid off the plastic around the sim. While on the iphone 4 there was still a bit of plastic surrounding the chip, on the iPhone 5 there would lucky to be 1mm. to me it is a bit of a risk especially if you want to keep that sim. what plan do you have with telstra?

My existing plan is three years old this June so was up for renewal last year. It's $39.99 per month for $400 worth of calls and text and 2 gb data
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
kickinit wrote:after a bit of cutting it will fit. the chip in the sim has stayed the same size all they have done is gotten rid off the plastic around the sim. While on the iphone 4 there was still a bit of plastic surrounding the chip, on the iPhone 5 there would lucky to be 1mm. to me it is a bit of a risk especially if you want to keep that sim. what plan do you have with telstra?

My existing plan is three years old this June so was up for renewal last year. It's $39.99 per month for $400 worth of calls and text and 2 gb data

thats a pretty good deal. have you spoken to telstra and see if they would keep the same plan on a new phone?
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:44 pm

kickinit wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

thats a pretty good deal. have you spoken to telstra and see if they would keep the same plan on a new phone?

No I haven't but if I can buy a phone on eBay and stick my card in it no one would be the wiser is how i see it. surely the same would apply to an over the counter sale? Then again who faaaarking knows?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Alaska » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

No I haven't but if I can buy a phone on eBay and stick my card in it no one would be the wiser is how i see it. surely the same would apply to an over the counter sale? Then again who faaaarking knows?

I have been on the same plan for years and changed the phone regularly but had to change the Sim size once, all for free. (Vodafone though)
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets