Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partner

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Does anyone know if 7 will be showing the Blockbuster on Good Friday?

At this stage, yes, I believe they are broadcasting the Good Friday game on television...

Delicious :D
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby beenreal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:18 pm

Today Tonight advertising big SANFL. expose' for tomorrow night. Channel 9 have a feature on Neil Balme's SA exploits on their show on Sunday. Hasn't been such a local focus in years.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Slightly off topic but disappointed to see nothing about this weeks game in the Prospect Messenger, all soccer and SAAFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Everybody in Adelaide please count yourselves lucky that you are able to get telecasts of the games. As I live in Sydney, I used to look forward to the replay of the ABC match of the day at 2.00am on a Wednesday morning. Alas now that Channel 7 have the rights to the telecasts, there will be no match replay at all to Sydney (and interstate) viewers. I rang them this afternoon and was told that they can only show one game and it has to be only in South Australia. :( :( Needless to say, I am not very happy about this and have rung the SANFL to complain about this. I will be interested to know if I get a reply!! It seems that the only way I will know the result, is if I listen to the radio broadcasts through the streaming stations!!
A North Adelaide Roosters Fan for life!
Sandy
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:56 am

Chris Davies advised that the shortfall between sponsorship and the new TV fees are slightly more than what the ABC was being paid.
So basically its costing more to have the SANFL on TV with no national coverage like previous. The reserves teams are paying off already. :roll:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:07 am

the AFL clubs should pay for the shortfall
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 am

klaan wrote:How many times do people have to point out that the SANFL aren't contributing the $1m, sponsors are paying for it who ordinarily would not be contributing anything to the SANFL.

My mail is that the Ch 7 broadcast is now costing the SANFL less than the ABC broadcast was due to the number of sponsors who have committed.

Whoosh.

Excellent mail you've got there Klaan, maybe it's Burtenshaw?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby beenreal » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:48 am

Sandy wrote:Everybody in Adelaide please count yourselves lucky that you are able to get telecasts of the games. As I live in Sydney, I used to look forward to the replay of the ABC match of the day at 2.00am on a Wednesday morning. Alas now that Channel 7 have the rights to the telecasts, there will be no match replay at all to Sydney (and interstate) viewers. I rang them this afternoon and was told that they can only show one game and it has to be only in South Australia. :( :( Needless to say, I am not very happy about this and have rung the SANFL to complain about this. I will be interested to know if I get a reply!! It seems that the only way I will know the result, is if I listen to the radio broadcasts through the streaming stations!!

For those of you hard of reading, I'll write it again. The ABC didn't want to do it any more.

Simply put, NO CHANNEL 7, NO FOOTBALL TELECAST!!
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 am

Curious about that, can you show me a source.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Hazydog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm

beenreal wrote:
Sandy wrote:Everybody in Adelaide please count yourselves lucky that you are able to get telecasts of the games. As I live in Sydney, I used to look forward to the replay of the ABC match of the day at 2.00am on a Wednesday morning. Alas now that Channel 7 have the rights to the telecasts, there will be no match replay at all to Sydney (and interstate) viewers. I rang them this afternoon and was told that they can only show one game and it has to be only in South Australia. :( :( Needless to say, I am not very happy about this and have rung the SANFL to complain about this. I will be interested to know if I get a reply!! It seems that the only way I will know the result, is if I listen to the radio broadcasts through the streaming stations!!

For those of you hard of reading, I'll write it again. The ABC didn't want to do it any more.

Do you know that for sure? They are still broadcasting the WAFL this season.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Hazydog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Not sure about the "special guest" being interviewed at half time either. Dont see what relevance Hinkley has to the SANFL broadcast. I think we see enough of the AFL coaches during AFL coverage. If they feel the need to get someone from Port - surely it should have been Hocking. (Pre-recorded if necessary.)
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby SimonH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:14 pm

Hazydog wrote:
beenreal wrote:For those of you hard of reading, I'll write it again. The ABC didn't want to do it any more.

What you said, Hazydog. It's a myth that the ABC had made the decision to scrap SANFL coverage. There is not a single reliable source for the claim (and no, beenreal repeating something over and over is not a 'reliable source'). The news stories in mid-2013 when this suddenly popped up (as 'McGuire Media is coming to save the SANFL—for a mere $1m a year!') were doing no more than parroting the line being fed to them by the SANFL, which had decided which way it wanted to jump. See, for example, the 'boy, does this guy ever get it right?' assertions of Rucci: "... as the ABC prepares to walk away from football in both Adelaide and Perth". Um, whoops. Impeccable sources as always, I'm sure. 'The ABC is gonna walk away, leaving us with nothing' became a self-fulfilling prophecy for some people in SANFL management. The fact is that the SANFL walked away from the ABC.

WAFL has always been a lower-attendance and therefore presumably lower-rating comp than the SANFL, and yet the ABC bat on in the West. The NTFL has always been vastly smaller than both, and yet the ABC have batted on there. The ABC bats on covering the VFL in Victoria in 2014. The ABC bats on covering the local rugby union Shute Shield in NSW in 2014. There's a bit of a theme developing there, hey?
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Reddeer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm

SimonH wrote:
Hazydog wrote:
beenreal wrote:For those of you hard of reading, I'll write it again. The ABC didn't want to do it any more.

What you said, Hazydog. It's a myth that the ABC had made the decision to scrap SANFL coverage. There is not a single reliable source for the claim (and no, beenreal repeating something over and over is not a 'reliable source'). The news stories in mid-2013 when this suddenly popped up (as 'McGuire Media is coming to save the SANFL—for a mere $1m a year!') were doing no more than parroting the line being fed to them by the SANFL, which had decided which way it wanted to jump. See, for example, the 'boy, does this guy ever get it right?' assertions of Rucci: "... as the ABC prepares to walk away from football in both Adelaide and Perth". Um, whoops. Impeccable sources as always, I'm sure. 'The ABC is gonna walk away, leaving us with nothing' became a self-fulfilling prophecy for some people in SANFL management. The fact is that the SANFL walked away from the ABC.

WAFL has always been a lower-attendance and therefore presumably lower-rating comp than the SANFL, and yet the ABC bat on in the West. The NTFL has always been vastly smaller than both, and yet the ABC have batted on there. The ABC bats on covering the VFL in Victoria in 2014. The ABC bats on covering the local rugby union Shute Shield in NSW in 2014. There's a bit of a theme developing there, hey?

Dudded again We the supporters are treated as suckers
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 pm

SimonH wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

A well-informed post.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 pm

Having a chat to alot of people at work throughout the week I think the tv ratings for the first game will be real good.

Only issue I see is that unlike the AFL the SANFL is not going to get the million dollar tv rights, therefore we can't afford for the TV ratings to affect the gate as this is too important to the 8 proper SANFL clubs.

I'm not sure how these tv ratings will convert to bums on seats, infact I think it may do the opposite and create a stay at home attitude.

We have seen AFL crowds take a dive in the last couple of years and live to the gate games on foxtel and free tv could easily be seen as one of the major reasons.

I reckon alot of neutrals and casual fans who may have gone tonight will take the easy, cheap safe option of staying at home which really doesn't help the sanfl
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:Chris Davies advised that the shortfall between sponsorship and the new TV fees are slightly more than what the ABC was being paid.
So basically its costing more to have the SANFL on TV with no national coverage like previous. The reserves teams are paying off already. :roll:

I thought Port Power were bringing a big sponsor to the party that covered the shortfall if the power Reserves we're let in.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:40 pm

beenreal wrote:

Bullshit
ABC didn't want to commit to another 3 year contract. The SANFL wanted more than a 1 year rolling contract but given no other choice would have gone with that option.
It was only the bollocks sprouted by your mob that the CH7 costs would be covered by sponsorship that turned their gullible little heads. Only now it appears the shortfall in sponsorship is greater than the ABC costs afterall

Still, you keep on SHOUTING mate.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Given facts are to Beenreal what kryptonite is to Superman, I can't wait for his reply to Simon's post.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:42 pm

whufc wrote:
I reckon alot of neutrals and casual fans who may have gone tonight will take the easy, cheap safe option of staying at home which really doesn't help the sanfl

What does this mean?

Are people too scared to leave their homes in Adelaide these days?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:46 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Bullshit
ABC didn't want to commit to another 3 year contract. The SANFL wanted more than a 1 year rolling contract but given no other choice would have gone with that option.
It was only the bollocks sprouted by your mob that the CH7 costs would be covered by sponsorship that turned their gullible little heads. Only now it appears the shortfall in sponsorship is greater than the ABC costs afterall

Still, you keep on SHOUTING mate.

In three years time the SANFL will be begging the ABC to televise it's footy again. C7 want ratings and advertising revenue.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL