Future of the SANFL

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Future of the SANFL

Postby Dols » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 am

RB wrote:Well we all know Ken Hinkley couldn't give a rat's tossbag whether the B grade win or not.
disagree with this comment, ken wants a winning culture throughout the club, as do all members.
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 am

interesting thread.

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hope you are right with the AFL reserves comp, but I cant see it happening in a long long time.

its amazing that the biggest sport in the country doesn't have its own reserves comp

I think everyone can agree that an AFL reserves competition is the best solution.

the problem with this, from a purely AFL point of view, is that their is an increased cost to them, with no extra benefit. extra cost comes from having twice as many teams travelling every week.

another issue - if you have a full reserves comp, do you expand the lists? do you still have topup players? to me it would make more sense to extend lists to maybe 50-55, which then brings about more costs etc. possibly could be offset by increased broadcasting of those games. but i doubt it.

kickinit wrote:Why are we all talking about how strong the MAGPIES and crows are? Before the start of the season all the talk was about how we didn't want to win.

because most detractors are having a bet each way and cannot form a coherent argument. most, not all.

Dols wrote:
RB wrote:Well we all know Ken Hinkley couldn't give a rat's tossbag whether the B grade win or not.
disagree with this comment, ken wants a winning culture throughout the club, as do all members.

this, but also the fact that the Port players playing in the SANFL are playing for their careers for the most part - they are doing everything they can to stay on an AFL list, and force their way into the senior team. So even if they try players in different positions etc, those players are still going to be busting their arse as they have higher goals in mind.

and no matter what the coach says, players dont like losing. the concept of a team "not trying" is irrelevant to this discussion imo.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby twosheds » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:38 am

kickinit wrote:Why are we all talking about how strong the MAGPIES and crows are? Before the start of the season all the talk was about how we didn't want to win.

You really don't seem to mind showing your complete lack of insight do you ? Or you just think sarcasm is extremely humorous or intelligent ?
Of course the players out on the field are trying to win :roll: BUT they have no control over the minutes they play, the position they play or the role they may be given.
Lets say the Power are playing a 12.40 game in Melbourne - 3 players in the first quarter go down with what could possibly be serious injuries; will the Coach
a) tell the reserves coach to pull the next three players out of the side due to play at 2.10 at Alberton
b) wait for the medical reports on Monday and hope he wont need those three from the Reserves next week

Of course its a) ergo the reserves side is not at full strength despite the 21 who actually play wanting to win, the football department are not honouring their commitment to "play to win" . Nothing to do with the players .
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby maxyoz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

twosheds wrote:

You really don't seem to mind showing your complete lack of insight do you ? Or you just think sarcasm is extremely humorous or intelligent ?
Of course the players out on the field are trying to win :roll: BUT they have no control over the minutes they play, the position they play or the role they may be given.
Lets say the Power are playing a 12.40 game in Melbourne - 3 players in the first quarter go down with what could possibly be serious injuries; will the Coach
a) tell the reserves coach to pull the next three players out of the side due to play at 2.10 at Alberton
b) wait for the medical reports on Monday and hope he wont need those three from the Reserves next week

Of course its a) ergo the reserves side is not at full strength despite the 21 who actually play wanting to win, the football department are not honouring their commitment to "play to win" . Nothing to do with the players .

Queens Birthday game last year, both Jarryd Lyons from Glenelg and Matt Wright from North were withdrawn to play because Adelaide were playing the Friday Night (5 days later).

Not sure if I am trying to make a comparison or point out that it effected SANFL teams last year, either way, this stuff happens.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 am

maxyoz wrote:
twosheds wrote:

Queens Birthday game last year, both Jarryd Lyons from Glenelg and Matt Wright from North were withdrawn to play because Adelaide were playing the Friday Night (5 days later).

Not sure if I am trying to make a comparison or point out that it effected SANFL teams last year, either way, this stuff happens.

Good point, but aren't you confirming what Twosheds is saying in that the AFL club is not interested in the SANFL team only their own interests.

The fact that they now have their players under their own Reserve Squad umbrella is irrelevant as nothing has changed their interests are with the AFL side and it their SAN side.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby maxyoz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 am

What are North Adelaide more interested in, the success of their League side or success of their Reserves side?

Unfortunately at Glenelg, I think the interest is more in the Reserves side as they have been up top for 8 years now and then you can throw in the success of the Under 18's as well (and the Under 16's who beat North yesterday).

The dream of "success flowing through the club to League level" just has not come to fruition.
Punk Rooster wrote:I can't believe that a topic that is quite clearly trolling has elicited a 3 page response....
maxyoz
Under 18s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 36 times
Grassroots Team: Kimba Districts

Postby smac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:03 am

And reserves sides belong in a reserves competition. Then the complaints subside.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am

maxyoz wrote:What are North Adelaide more interested in, the success of their League side or success of their Reserves side?

Unfortunately at Glenelg, I think the interest is more in the Reserves side as they have been up top for 8 years now and then you can throw in the success of the Under 18's as well (and the Under 16's who beat North yesterday).

The dream of "success flowing through the club to League level" just has not come to fruition.

North are interested I their league team and rightly so. That also stands true for any AFL club too.

The key difference is that North's reserve side plays in a reserve competition which is designed to support the league team. Both the AFL clubs reserve teams play in a national league competition which is of course the main cause of angst on this site.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:20 am

I swear a heap of these posters are women. Complain about one thing and do a 180° turn to complain about the opposite.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby smac » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am

Have you assessed the posters? It may be that there are multiple opinions being expressed by multiple people.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 am

bennymacca wrote:interesting thread.

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I hope you are right with the AFL reserves comp, but I cant see it happening in a long long time.

its amazing that the biggest sport in the country doesn't have its own reserves comp

I think everyone can agree that an AFL reserves competition is the best solution.

the problem with this, from a purely AFL point of view, is that their is an increased cost to them, with no extra benefit. extra cost comes from having twice as many teams travelling every week.

another issue - if you have a full reserves comp, do you expand the lists? do you still have topup players? to me it would make more sense to extend lists to maybe 50-55, which then brings about more costs etc. possibly could be offset by increased broadcasting of those games. but i doubt it.

because most detractors are having a bet each way and cannot form a coherent argument. most, not all.

Dols wrote:

this, but also the fact that the Port players playing in the SANFL are playing for their careers for the most part - they are doing everything they can to stay on an AFL list, and force their way into the senior team. So even if they try players in different positions etc, those players are still going to be busting their arse as they have higher goals in mind.

and no matter what the coach says, players dont like losing. the concept of a team "not trying" is irrelevant to this discussion imo.

the extra benefit is playing in a competition where all the teams have the same ideas.

yes, playing lists will need to be expanded to allow for reserves teams

if clubs cant handle the financial burden, then relocate or die.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11781 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

smac wrote:Have you assessed the posters? It may be that there are multiple opinions being expressed by multiple people.

It's multiple posters with similar opinions. Those who dare buck the trend are some sort of traitor or idiotic.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:22 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Dols wrote:

the extra benefit is playing in a competition where all the teams have the same ideas.

What about the benefit of all teams playing in a level playing field thats a good idea

What playing list to be expanded with what how does a SANFL club do that against the multi million dollar AFL CLUBS

What the financial burden relocate and die its the SANFL my friend not the AFL so piss off

You have no idea are you one that belongs to the two face and two scarf tribe ??????????
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:25 am

Apachebulldog wrote:What about the benefit of all teams playing in a level playing field thats a good idea

What playing list to be expanded with what how does a SANFL club do that against the multi million dollar AFL CLUBS

What the financial burden relocate and die its the SANFL my friend not the AFL so piss off

You have no idea are you one that belongs to the two face and two scarf tribe ??????????

Classy operator. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby StrayDog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 am

Booney wrote:

I swear a heap of these posters are women. Complain about one thing and do a 180° turn to complain about the opposite.
Booney wrote:
smac wrote:Have you assessed the posters? It may be that there are multiple opinions being expressed by multiple people.

It's multiple posters with similar opinions. Those who dare buck the trend are some sort of traitor or idiotic.

Not to mention occasionally sexist.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:49 am

Booney wrote:

And wouldn't it be all the worse if the Port reserves were so strong that they won comfortably without even trying?
You miss some very obvious points these days Boon, good luck stirring the pot anyway.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby areaman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:56 am

Booney wrote:

Maybe.

But that's preferable to the blind adherance to the latest thought bubble out of Alberton.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:

And wouldn't it be all the worse if the Port reserves were so strong that they won comfortably without even trying?
You miss some very obvious points these days Boon, good luck stirring the pot anyway.

"Miss some very obvious points"....hardly, when the point has been made several hundred times in numerous threads.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am

Apachebulldog wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

What about the benefit of all teams playing in a level playing field thats a good idea

Er... I think you are confused mate. He wasnt talking about SANFL clubs, but afl clubs. Read it again :)
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Yeah Jimmy i think ya right misread it but anyhow they can still piss off to the VFL !!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL