Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 pm

also the third youngest list too. And with the exception of Kornes and schulz, they dont heavily rely on anyone over the age of 28, which is also a great sign for them.

The still need to find another tall forward to replace schulz in a couple of years, but other than that they have probably the best forward line in the comp behind hawthorn.

I think down back they still might be potentially suspect, their talls are servicable but arent going to win you games, but their mids are also up there with the best young groups in the comp.

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Monfries cleared to return this week, will he be brought straight back in or brought through the reserves?

If he comes in, who misses out? Sam Gray or Aaron Young?

reckon gray would miss
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby carey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Monfries cleared to return this week, will he be brought straight back in or brought through the reserves?

For mine straight in.

It will be either Young or Grey both would be unlucky but I think they will drop Grey. Young can go through the midfield or even down back where Grey is basically just a small forward. (I know Grey has been on ball but I think Young can genuinely be in the rotations)

Good spot to be in tho
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Agree, would think Gray will be the one to miss, although wouldn't think it a bad thing if Monfries played a week in the 2's and give Gray another week in the top grade.

Another player who has suffered from Port's good form is Kane Mitchell, i thought he was really good last season, but cant crack in. Given Impey is only a young lad, do you think Port will flirt with the idea of resting him for Mitchell in the near future?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Impey got his "rest" by starting as sub yesterday. Port showed last year that if your form warrants selection, you get selected regardless of age. Wines played every game last year and Impey might do the same.

As for the return of Monfries, I would think it would actually be Young make way for him. For the time Young spent in the middle yesterday either Sammy or Gus could do the same job.

Mitchell will need some real luck to break into the Port AFL side, his skills let him down too often and the likes of Young, Moore and Newton might get a chance with some good form under their belts ahead of him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

Booney wrote:Mitchell will need some real luck to break into the Port AFL side, his skills let him down too often and the likes of Young, Moore and Newton might get a chance with some good form under their belts ahead of him.

But geez is he fit and can run! Imagine him and White both running hard with Ebert & Boak, would create some headaches for opposition coaches!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:30 pm

carey wrote:So let me get this right Dutchy are you implying that Port are no good?

Certainly sounds like it......

No, I think I acknowledged how well they were playing, just trying to add some balance to the hysteria at the moment.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby carey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:
carey wrote:So let me get this right Dutchy are you implying that Port are no good?

No, I think I acknowledged how well they were playing, just trying to add some balance to the hysteria at the moment.

Dutchy no one likes the voice of reason mate ;)
carey
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Centrebet has them just behind geelong as clear third favourites. So clearly people are backing up the hype with some dosh
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:

"Hysteria" :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:Centrebet has them just behind geelong as clear third favourites. So clearly people are backing up the hype with some dosh

Wouldn't have thought Port supporters would have money to splash! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

"Hysteria" :lol:

Come on Booney - turn on the radio.
:partyman: :YMPARTY: \:D/
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5570 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm

port for premiers
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11982 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:57 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:port for premiers

Pfft pull your head in..

... back to back! :lol:
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:port for premiers

Pfft pull your head in..

... back to back! :lol:

Well, the last time port beat Geelong they made the grand final that season...
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 452 times
Been liked: 1229 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 pm

you beauty Patty Pirate, the cats to win the GF by 119 over the power
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11982 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby GWW » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:21 pm

S Gray would be my guess.

Newton must be close to making his debut as well, given his recent SANFL form. But there arent any real candidates that deserve demotion. Impey perhaps could have a rest, but would be very unlucky if that happened.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby carey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:37 pm

GWW wrote:

S Gray would be my guess.

Newton must be close to making his debut as well, given his recent SANFL form. But there arent any real candidates that deserve demotion. Impey perhaps could have a rest, but would be very unlucky if that happened.

I know it sounds stupid but Impey may be much better for a full run in the midfield of the maggies
carey
Coach

Postby kickinit » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Booney wrote:Impey got his "rest" by starting as sub yesterday. Port showed last year that if your form warrants selection, you get selected regardless of age. Wines played every game last year and Impey might do the same.

As for the return of Monfries, I would think it would actually be Young make way for him. For the time Young spent in the middle yesterday either Sammy or Gus could do the same job.

Mitchell will need some real luck to break into the Port AFL side, his skills let him down too often and the likes of Young, Moore and Newton might get a chance with some good form under their belts ahead of him.

As much as I like Mitchell I really hope he doesn't get a chance this year. He's on the rookie list so the only way is if we have a long term injury.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby auto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 am

bennymacca wrote:also the third youngest list too. And with the exception of Kornes and schulz, they dont heavily rely on anyone over the age of 28, which is also a great sign for them.

The still need to find another tall forward to replace schulz in a couple of years, but other than that they have probably the best forward line in the comp behind hawthorn.

I think down back they still might be potentially suspect, their talls are servicable but arent going to win you games, but their mids are also up there with the best young groups in the comp.

reckon gray would miss

our 4 talls are in such good form atm. Hombsch and Jonas are flying, and hence when Stevie J got off to a good start Jonas went onto him for a while to shut him down.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:27 am

auto wrote:
bennymacca wrote:also the third youngest list too. And with the exception of Kornes and schulz, they dont heavily rely on anyone over the age of 28, which is also a great sign for them.

reckon gray would miss

our 4 talls are in such good form atm. Hombsch and Jonas are flying, and hence when Stevie J got off to a good start Jonas went onto him for a while to shut him down.

I wouldnt really call Jonas a tall. Hombsch yes, but he is only young and takes the third tall at best. Had carlisle and Trengove in mind when i posted that really. The are never going to be all australian, but as i said, serviceable.

In terms of smaller backs, i think you are still short a running half back. Broadbent does a good job, but i think the team would look a whole lot better with someone like Danyle pearce back there. That might be controversial because i know he wasnt super well liked at alberton but he would still slot straight into your team.

Another way to look at the weaknesses is to look at how badly the team is affected if someone got injured. I think thats why Schulz is so important, because if he went down it would mess up your whole structure. similar to what big tex has done at the crows, just thrown everything out. Lobbe stepping up cannot be underestimated either. Ruck was a pretty big problem for the last couple of years and seems to have been solved now. But he would also be a big loss. Contrast that with having robbie gray out. The team could still function well without him because of wingard and some of your other decent small forwards, and now him coming back in is just the icing on the cake.

Bear in mind im trying to nitpick a bit, because there are very few weaknesses in the port team at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL