The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

If everyone has their lunch,drinks etc and buys their ticket then all walkout when Trigg takes to the stage, i think the point will be well made
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby dedja » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:55 pm

That's alright then ... :lol:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:03 pm

RB wrote:
Aerie wrote:At least the SANFL clubs have not been taken over. The games between SANFL clubs only are much better than previously with the AFL having no influence at all on selection/quality of players available. I.e. The Eagles win over Norwood last year was hard to measure given b.o.g. was Vince and Brodie Smith not far behind.

Ugh not hard to measure at all, were you at the game? He did stuff all, just dropped back the backlines to cherry pick a couple of mark and kicks for the dream team points. Eagles flogged them at their home ground because it was one of their best performances of the year, and probably one of Norwood's worst. No way in hell he made a difference.
Aerie wrote:Just need to do everything possible to keep the 8 SANFL clubs strong and understand that the SANFL serves multiple purposes and that the right balance needs to be struck.

Lol mainly the purposes of Sando and Hinkley.

Regardless of our opinion of that game - I'm liking the no AFL players coming in and out of the SANFL teams. Two heavily AFL influenced teams of the past - Sturt and Eagles - certainly didn't provide any less a spectacle on the weekend.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby dedja » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:07 pm

I'd agree with that Aerie, that is certainly a positive for mine.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 pm

I certainly agree that removing AFL players has no impact on the game as a spectator. I think anyone who suggests there's a difference is a real AFL snob.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:35 pm

dedja wrote:Except you'd only be hurting your own club for not turning up to their function where they get all the profits ... #-o

So you should pack the place out, eat and drink heaps but give him lots of shit.

Problem solvered.

Or instead of attending the function, go to the clubrooms on the next day for a meal and a few beers. Find a way to support your club without also acknowledging the interlopers.

Works for me 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby dedja » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Even better when those actions have made the club run out of piss at the next home game which involves one of the infidels ...
dedja
Coach

Postby holden78 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:50 am

cennals05 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I read this article about the AFL-WAFL a few weeks ago and forgot about it. Be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... r-wa-game/

Strange that here in SA the AFL clubs are promoting increased sponsorship yet in WA it is decreasing.

Could be the structure the WAFL have gone with. Instead of new teams the AFL have aligned with existing teams. Most long term sponsors of clubs in the SANFL and WAFL are also most likely long term supporters. I can't see too many supporters being happy if their team was taken over by an AFL club.

The WAFL are also a season ahead of the SANFL with all new players drafted going to the aligned clubs last year I believe. All other players moved this season.

It will be interesting to see the interest in the SANFL next season or even later this season. I don't think we can take too much from the crowd figures or sponsorships yet.

We were saying that last year that these muppets running footy in SA already had the best set up for the AFL deadwood to play and improve, but because of the SA footy politics, listening to the PAP's who run bankrupt every year and the Candy's who are still living it up on back to back flag's last century! It was the best of a bad situation, but the grass has been greener for the Gayfl two clubs because they have gotten a free practice game a week while finishing the true SANFL comp off and leaving it raped of any integrity after well over 100 years. :evil: ffs!
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby cracka » Thu May 01, 2014 10:57 am

daysofourlives wrote:If everyone has their lunch,drinks etc and buys their ticket then all walkout when Trigg takes to the stage, i think the point will be well made

I doubt anyone would have the balls to do it. All talk no action, just like most on here.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby whufc » Thu May 01, 2014 11:15 am

cracka wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:If everyone has their lunch,drinks etc and buys their ticket then all walkout when Trigg takes to the stage, i think the point will be well made

I doubt anyone would have the balls to do it. All talk no action, just like most on here.

I think the most vocal of posters on here have taken action

Centurian- with no afl in sanfl banner
LPH- his change of club
Uk Fan/ On the Rails/Topys/Dutchy/Psuedo- boycotting games
whufc- not going to away games at the bendover clubs

And many others who are no longer members of their clubs.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LPH » Thu May 01, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm thrilled to bits that Trigg is attending - I assume he will be in the Stand for the game.

I intend to be very vocal that day :lol:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Not wanting to take another thread off topic I thought it better to post in here.

I don't see how having two AFL reserve sides playing a game in Clare will benefit country footy.

Pretty narrow view to think that the only people that benefit is the AFL.

More people attracted to football = greater chance of more kids being interested and wanting to play = greater chance of increased membership of Country Football clubs.
These kids may then be quite good footballers, they may end up at an SANFL

The AFL are interested only in the AFL and I think WHUFC got it spot on
Playing this match in the country guarantees
1) a decent crowd. Playing it at Alberton might have been embarrassing.
2) maximum media exposure for the AFL, (like they need that anyway).
3) a fan / membership recruitment exercise.

I don't think I am being narrow minded at all. Just a realist and if you think two AFL reserve sides playing 1 game in the country is going to get a bunch of kids wanting to do anything but become Crows or Port fans then I think you are missing the point of hosting in the country.

bennymaccas' reasoning was that it gave country folk the chance to see their heros. :roll: I'm sorry but that benefits country footy how?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu May 01, 2014 4:35 pm

Country footy isn't all about just being a fan. It is also about playing the game.

Yes the country people that go may follow one of the afl clubs, but people (particularly kids) going to the game may develop a passion for football and either go to more local footy (providing additional revenue) for country clubs, or play the game at whatever level for a country club.

I don't disagree with your opinion on what the AFL clubs want to get out of it. Just highlighting the benefit for Country Footy.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Go Sharks » Thu May 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Well done for taking the game to the country. The kids would love to see this standard of football no matter what sides are playing. Great for football. If it benefits the local clubs great, if it benefits the SANFL great , if it benefits the AFL great. Football is the winner of this promotion
Time to get over it John
Go Sharks
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:Country footy isn't all about just being a fan. It is also about playing the game.

Yes the country people that go may follow one of the afl clubs, but people (particularly kids) going to the game may develop a passion for football and either go to more local footy (providing additional revenue) for country clubs, or play the game at whatever level for a country club.

I don't disagree with your opinion on what the AFL clubs want to get out of it. Just highlighting the benefit for Country Footy.

This is the post that raised my original question.

downspine wrote:But the Prospect of Walker at one end and Rutten the other will be great for country footy

Which I still don't see where country football gets any benefit

Your argument does seem to be based on a hope that as a byproduct of this game might be some kids get interested.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Go Sharks wrote:Well done for taking the game to the country. The kids would love to see this standard of football no matter what sides are playing. Great for football. If it benefits the local clubs great, if it benefits the SANFL great , if it benefits the AFL great. Football is the winner of this promotion
Time to get over it John

Get over what??
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby RB » Thu May 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Go Sharks wrote:Well done for taking the game to the country. The kids would love to see this standard of football no matter what sides are playing. Great for football. If it benefits the local clubs great, if it benefits the SANFL great , if it benefits the AFL great. Football is the winner of this promotion
Time to get over it John
If it benefits only the AFL then I'm not sure that it necessarily follows that it benefits footy in general.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Thu May 01, 2014 5:10 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:Country footy isn't all about just being a fan. It is also about playing the game.

This is the post that raised my original question.

downspine wrote:But the Prospect of Walker at one end and Rutten the other will be great for country footy

Which I still don't see where country football gets any benefit

Your argument does seem to be based on a hope that as a byproduct of this game might be some kids get interested.

This is merely one of the benefits.
I sense that this isn't about Country Footy benefits but the fact that other SANFL clubs are missing out.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby cracka » Thu May 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Isnt it being played there as a benefit game for the family & friends of a young boy who died in a playground accident.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 461 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby heater31 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:27 pm

cracka wrote:Isnt it being played there as a benefit game for the family & friends of a young boy who died in a playground accident.

Think that was the original intent but it seems to be lost on all media promotion that I've seen so far.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL