R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Postby RB » Sun May 04, 2014 11:46 pm

Panther Pack wrote:If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.
Yeah, Godsy and the boys will be devastated about today.

In all seriousness, the close margin is a free hit for the coach because not only do they get the two points, but he can give them a good grilling on certain things after the game to keep them honest.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby saintal » Sun May 04, 2014 11:54 pm

A difficult loss to swallow that one. Should win when you're 8 points up into time on in the last quarter and with all the momentum. Credit to Eagles they kept running and created some chances late against a fatigued South.

A positive is that we managed to win 3 quarters, but the 3rd term was diabolical, especially our skills across half back.

The early loss of McMahon probably hurt more than most would think, as he was providing a good option as a 2nd tallish forward. Really needing somebody like Hourigan back in the side to give as another option to complement Eddy, with Rolfe then crumbing at their feet.

Thought Thewlis, Brooksby, Liddle and Eddy were again amongst our best.

A lot of injuries at Noarlunga so far this season. The radio guys mentioned parts of the ground are quite sandy.

Umpires made some bewildering calls, none more so than the 'non mark' to Rankine at the start of the final term in the South goal-square. A lot of holding and scragging went unnoticed by the men in white also.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am

Good win for the Eagles down there at Carlunga.

Wundke would have enjoyed the last few passages of play, I'm sure.

On a side note, did South take the AFL reserves debate to the members to vote upon?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby dedja » Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 am

I see what you did there ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby heater31 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:26 am

Booney wrote:
On a side note, did South take the AFL reserves debate to the members to vote upon?

Think they were always no voters and took it to a members information evening to explain their position.

Back to the game, the poor 3rd quarter has let South down. If they defended their 4 goal lead better with 18 players only and to hit the front in the last is a massive amount of ticker and should serve as a warning to the competition. Reckon Gotch would be super impressed.

Can they find the replacements required to cover the injuries. 2 small defenders gone in as many games, a 2nd ruckman and 2nd forward gone as well :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Think they were always no voters and took it to a members information evening to explain their position.

Ok, thanks. Seems as though members didn't vote there either then.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby areaman » Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am

Panther Pack wrote:If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.

I'm inconsolable.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon May 05, 2014 10:39 am

Booney wrote:On a side note, did South take the AFL reserves debate to the members to vote upon?

Is that you kickinit?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 am

topsywaldron wrote:
Booney wrote:On a side note, did South take the AFL reserves debate to the members to vote upon?

Is that you kickinit?

Just wanted to confirm if the South members voted. Several hundred pages of text weren't worth scouring through as I figured someone on here would know the answer pretty quickly.

Thanks for the compliment. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby darley16 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:59 am

There can be honour in a loss and South showed great character, fitness and courage to hit the front late in the game with 17 fit players v's 21. Poor umpiring for both sides and bad injuries to South marred what was a highly competitive game played in perfect conditions. Really good sign for the Panthers to record back-to-back wins in the Ressies and U/16, goodness knows we may need them all playing league footy if our injury count doesn't stop :(
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Scoop » Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 am

Our members information evening was held before the board made their decision, as they took the feeling of the membership into consideration when deciding their stance on the AFL reserves issue. The club's league delegate then communicated that decision (our No vote) at the SANFL delegates' meeting. Not sure about the other clubs, but our league delegate is not our Chairman, whereas a number of posters have said that their Chairman or President had their club's vote.
Insanity Multimedia and Nick Hook Photography
Scoop
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 11:49 am

Booney wrote:Good win for the Eagles down there at Carlunga.

Wundke would have enjoyed the last few passages of play, I'm sure.

What's that got to do with this week's game. ?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby RB » Mon May 05, 2014 11:52 am

Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Did Port Magpies members get a vote before their team was taken over?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 11:58 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Did Port Magpies members get a vote before their team was taken over?

Aww Booney, I was missing you this week up until now,

Back to the game. Can South, like any other club I guess, still recruit to cover their injuries or is the window closed. Genuine question
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
Back to the game. Can South, like any other club I guess, still recruit to cover their injuries or is the window closed. Genuine question

Well they could in theory but do they have required fitness levels to play at that level?
heater31

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 12:49 pm

heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Well they could in theory but do they have required fitness levels to play at that level?

Would that include from another SANFL club, in which case fitness shouldn't be an issue.
Is there actually any recruitment restrictions for during the season? Again a genuine question
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon May 05, 2014 12:58 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Would that include from another SANFL club, in which case fitness shouldn't be an issue.
Is there actually any recruitment restrictions for during the season? Again a genuine question

Well transfer fees would apply, loose change compared to English soccer but big dollars for clubs here.

It does happen but it is usually initiated by the player and not the club seeking better opportunity at another club. Not sure on the rules for approaching contracted players but I'm sure it is frowned upon.

Last player that I can think of that did this is actually a North player now.

Jay Shannon was asked to clear out his locker at Alberton and a couple of weeks later he was playing league for North after 1 game in Canberra with now Glenelg staffer Matt Lokan and 1 game in the reserves at North.
heater31

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

It's May, it's cold and South lose to the Eagles at Noarlunga. No different to any other season really.
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby johntheclaret » Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:

Well transfer fees would apply, loose change compared to English soccer but big dollars for clubs here.

It does happen but it is usually initiated by the player and not the club seeking better opportunity at another club. Not sure on the rules for approaching contracted players but I'm sure it is frowned upon.

Last player that I can think of that did this is actually a North player now.

Jay Shannon was asked to clear out his locker at Alberton and a couple of weeks later he was playing league for North after 1 game in Canberra with now Glenelg staffer Matt Lokan and 1 game in the reserves at North.

Thanks Heater.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Mon May 05, 2014 8:35 pm

There has to be room in the Salary Cap to be able to recruit at this stage of the season. A team can actually recruit up until June 30.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL