The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:03 pm

matt35 wrote:Of course players required new contracts, they were playing in an entirely different competition under entirely different playing conditions. Oh, and a side note, while the licence was granted to the Port Adelaide Football club in 1995, the Port Adelaide Football club did not enter a team in to the AFL competition in 1996, rather 1997. One club, two entities. Not hard!

Oh, and while on the subject of "legal documents", I very much look forward to someone finding me one which refers to the "Port Power reserves". Just a hint, you will not find one, yet I am the one accused of denying reality! "Port Power reserves" is nothing more than an SAFooty fiction invented by people who do not like the new set up.

Oh dear!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 pm

RB wrote:
matt35 wrote:The fact that the club is now allowed to play their AFL listed players in the SANFL, does not make them any less the Magpies in the SANFL,
To the extent that the club of Williams, Motley, Ebert, Quinn etc. is capable of becoming a reserves team and somehow retain its essence, sure. Yes, there is a team running out in the Sanfl wearing black and white and calling itself the Magpies. But surely a club's substantial, rather than superficial character is what makes a club?

I'm not in any position to tell Port/Power/magpies fans why they should or shouldn't support which team. However, objectively, this is the story:

A big change happened in 2014. While numerous changes have occurred to the club over 140+ years, the common thread from 1870-2013 was that the Magpies were a sovereign club, playing to win the flag, and not subservient to an AFL's teams developmental and tactical experiments. This year, that changed.

This year, the team exists to give the Power's young/unfit/crap players a run, and to try various things, teach Irishmen how to play, etc. From 1870-2013, it was 100% focused on winning the Sanfl premiership. Now it's about winning the AFL flag; the Sanfl is secondary where an inconsistancy arises. I.e. a reserves team.
Winning flags (in the comp it played in) was always the one and only goal of the Magpies I knew.

Surely, after changing to such an essential degree, this team can't claim to be the Magpies anymore. As Wedgie said, you can call your son Gary Ablett Jnr. Doesn't mean you're Gary Ablett. (Thanks to Wedgie for the analogy! :))

yep 100% agree

and that's not saying that the current Magpies aren't trying to win each game or the flag but is an undeniable fact that as of 2014 the Magpies sole existence is to now develop players for the clubs priority side the Power AFL team.

Magpies 1870-2013 = Magpie players looking to win SANFL premiership with assistance from players from both south Australian AFL sides as per all the other SANFL clubs.

Magpies 2014- Power reserves players looking to play there way into Ports AFL side/list with the assistance of top up players to field a side.

What ever way anyone wants to spin it is a fair change of 'culture, objectives, obligations'

But if I was a Port supporter I could see why they would consider this to be the best set up for the club and to be honest if was a Port supporter in 97 I would have probably followed the Power and my interest in the Magpies would have only been very slight.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby kickinit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Wedgie wrote:
matt35 wrote:Port Adelaide Football club unable to play as the Magpies in the AFL, not because they suddenly became a new Football club, but because the competition they were now entering already had an existing team known as the Magpies.

Incorrect mate, I used to think that but had to admit I was wrong when pointed out to the facts and evidence.
Port Adelaide Football Club changed their name to the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club.
Same club, same entity, same business, new name.
It was the only way the entirely new franchise in the AFL could use the same name.
Hence contracts with players that the Magpies had in 95 were not needed to change for 96, same club.
Players that went from the Magpies to the Power 95 to 96 needed new contracts as they were playing for an entirely new club even though it stole the name of the club that was still in the SANFL.
The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club which is the original PAFC no longer exists.
Dead buried.
The club now in the AFL with their reserves in the SANFL are the new entity in 96 that took over the name from its previous owner.
FACTS, supported by legal documents.
Club that was around for over 100 years and won 30 something premierships is dead and buried, no longer, kaput.
The club playing AFL and SANFL has been around since 1996. If I name my next son Gary Ablett Jnr it doesn't mean he's a Brownlow medalist.

No it doesn't mean he is the Brownlow medalist. But if Gary Ablett Jnr had a son named wedgie it would mean wedgie was the son of the brown low medalist. While I would like to see those legal documents it doesn't surprise me if there isn't any. At the end of the day we don't really care what you think of us, simply because it means absolute jack what you think of us, just like it always has been.

We Are The Port Adelaide Football Club set 1870 always have always will be. Nothing you or others post will never never change that.

Have you been to Port game at AO this year? If you have or haven't here is message they play directed at people that think like you.

We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 pm

LOL how easily Port supporters forget it wasn't that long ago the club was trying to distance themselves from the Port Magpies of old so they could be the alternative to the Crows.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:18 pm

whufc wrote:
RB wrote:
matt35 wrote:The fact that the club is now allowed to play their AFL listed players in the SANFL, does not make them any less the Magpies in the SANFL,
To the extent that the club of Williams, Motley, Ebert, Quinn etc. is capable of becoming a reserves team and somehow retain its essence, sure. Yes, there is a team running out in the Sanfl wearing black and white and calling itself the Magpies. But surely a club's substantial, rather than superficial character is what makes a club?

I'm not in any position to tell Port/Power/magpies fans why they should or shouldn't support which team. However, objectively, this is the story:

A big change happened in 2014. While numerous changes have occurred to the club over 140+ years, the common thread from 1870-2013 was that the Magpies were a sovereign club, playing to win the flag, and not subservient to an AFL's teams developmental and tactical experiments. This year, that changed.

This year, the team exists to give the Power's young/unfit/crap players a run, and to try various things, teach Irishmen how to play, etc. From 1870-2013, it was 100% focused on winning the Sanfl premiership. Now it's about winning the AFL flag; the Sanfl is secondary where an inconsistancy arises. I.e. a reserves team.
Winning flags (in the comp it played in) was always the one and only goal of the Magpies I knew.

Surely, after changing to such an essential degree, this team can't claim to be the Magpies anymore. As Wedgie said, you can call your son Gary Ablett Jnr. Doesn't mean you're Gary Ablett. (Thanks to Wedgie for the analogy! :))

yep 100% agree

and that's not saying that the current Magpies aren't trying to win each game or the flag but is an undeniable fact that as of 2014 the Magpies sole existence is to now develop players for the clubs priority side the Power AFL team.

Magpies 1870-2013 = Magpie players looking to win SANFL premiership with assistance from players from both south Australian AFL sides as per all the other SANFL clubs.

Magpies 2014- Power reserves players looking to play there way into Ports AFL side/list with the assistance of top up players to field a side.

What ever way anyone wants to spin it is a fair change of 'culture, objectives, obligations'

But if I was a Port supporter I could see why they would consider this to be the best set up for the club and to be honest if was a Port supporter in 97 I would have probably followed the Power and my interest in the Magpies would have only been very slight.

Steve Summerton pretty much said all of this during his rant late last season. The 'Magpies' are there for the Power, end of story.

Anyway, it's a minor issue to me in this whole debate.
SAFC- 59 years...
StKFC- 57 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 427 times

Postby kickinit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:26 pm

saintal wrote:Steve Summerton pretty much said all of this during his rant late last season. The 'Magpies' are there for the Power, end of story.

When Summerton made those comments was when it was rumoured that Port would follow the crows plus get rid of the magpies altogether. Bit hard to use that as any evidence when it was related to a situation that never happened
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby StrayDog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 am

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
matt35 wrote:

Have you been to Port game at AO this year? If you have or haven't here is message they play directed at people that think like you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1D1mh9o08eU

Being played directly to an audience of people that think like you.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:37 am

RB wrote:
tipper wrote:lol, so the entry of the reserves teams, and the complete change to the fabric of the competition has no bearing on driving people away? its the very reason i have stopped going, and i know others in the same boat. up to two games a weekend are now a training run, why would i pay to go watch that? i never watched Norths reserves in the past, why would i watch a reserves league now?
The exact same applies to me, only substitute North for WWT. I have lost interest largely due to not being interested in reserves.

N.B. My cat and dog remain paid up WWT members.

That's where we differ RB
Even my cat has lost interest. Even when I offered a free home season ticket
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:44 am

Booney wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:Most SANFL supporters between 1990 and 2013 had become accustomed to having AFL players allocated to their local SANFL teams and therefore were playing under the same rules and conditions.
I have given this AFL RESERVES debacle some thought.
I do not know if this concept has been thought of before but my idea is.
As the Magpies were killed off last year we now have Eight traditional SANFL clubs remaining.
I propose the the Power align themselves with FOUR SANFL clubs eg Central District North Adelaide Woodville West Torrens and South Adelaide.
The Crows align themselves with Four SANFL clubs as well Norwood Glenelg Sturt and West Adelaide.
Thus no more BYES as well.
Each AFL club will then allocate FIVE AFL players to each of the four SANFL clubs to which it is aligned to 4 x 5 = 20 players.
Those AFL players who cannot make the SANFL league team will also be able to play in the SANFL reserves.
With this set up the competition once again becomes a level playing field with every team once again under the same rules.
The only drawback is that their will no longer be a Magpie team but we must remember they were killed off last year.
Fellow posters what are your thoughts would this work ???????

No ;)

Hey JTC don't get me wrong i am totally with you my first preference is that these two AFL interloping parasites FAAAAAARKKKK OFF out of our competition.
However should there be any involvement i would prefer the lesser of two evils and that is having FIVE AFL listed players allocated to each of the EIGHT sovereign SANFL teams.

Yes you are right the inteerst in this site has waned because of their intrusion.

It might just be because of the manner in which it was discussed on here.

As for JTC's idea, it's good you've been thinking John, but I think you've got some more thinking to do yet. ;)

It wasn't me mate. It's not my role to do thinking :D
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby sjt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:49 am

kickinit wrote:
saintal wrote:Steve Summerton pretty much said all of this during his rant late last season. The 'Magpies' are there for the Power, end of story.

When Summerton made those comments was when it was rumoured that Port would follow the crows plus get rid of the magpies altogether. Bit hard to use that as any evidence when it was related to a situation that never happened

Rubbish, it was after a meeting was held telling the players what was happening. But, yes it was prior to him getting a contract offering, after the idiotic sanfl allowed them to change the rules of the port power reserves inclusion.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:52 am

Wedgie wrote:
matt35 wrote:Port Adelaide Football club unable to play as the Magpies in the AFL, not because they suddenly became a new Football club, but because the competition they were now entering already had an existing team known as the Magpies.

Incorrect mate, I used to think that but had to admit I was wrong when pointed out to the facts and evidence.
Port Adelaide Football Club changed their name to the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club.
It was the only way the entirely new franchise in the AFL could use the same name.
Hence contracts with players that the Magpies had in 95 were not needed to change for 96, same club.
Players that went from the Magpies to the Power 95 to 96 needed new contracts as they were playing for an entirely new club even though it stole the name of the club that was still in the SANFL.
The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club which is the original PAFC no longer exists.
Dead buried.
The club now in the AFL with their reserves in the SANFL are the new entity in 96 that took over the name from its previous owner.
Club that was around for over 100 years and won 30 something premierships is dead and buried, no longer, kaput.
The club playing AFL and SANFL has been around since 1996. If I name my next son Gary Ablett Jnr it doesn't mean he's a Brownlow medalist.

Your next son!! Have you got an announcement to make :shock:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 am

sjt wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Rubbish, it was after a meeting was held telling the players what was happening. But, yes it was prior to him getting a contract offering, after the idiotic sanfl allowed them to change the rules of the port power reserves inclusion.

Um incorrect, Steve is pretty happy with the current setup and they where the words from his mouth before he was given a contract.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:11 am

kickinit wrote:
sjt wrote:
kickinit wrote:

Um incorrect, Steve is pretty happy with the current setup and they where the words from his mouth before he was given a contract.

I bet he is
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:56 am

Must take ages for some of you to type out those posts.

Beating yourself with one hand, typing with the other...... :lol: :lol:

It's good that you've all moved on though, not dwelling on it too much.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am

JTC wrote "I think that you will find "us lot" have already moved on from the "PAM does not exist anymore" debate"

Good moving on lads, good moving on. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby tipper » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 am

Booney wrote:Must take ages for some of you to type out those posts.

Beating yourself with one hand, typing with the other...... :lol: :lol:

It's good that you've all moved on though, not dwelling on it too much.

nah mate, its like anything, the more you practice the easier it gets..... :oops:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Rising Power » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:42 am

whufc wrote:
RB wrote:

yep 100% agree

You've hit the nail on the head. Once we entered the AFL, the AFL was and still is our main priority, but we still tried to get to a handful of SANFL games a year to see the Magpies team that was created to carry on the SANFL presence (and we still do). Having all the non-selected AFL players at the Magpies in the one team is fantastic; it's what (at a guess) 90% of Port supporters have wanted for years and now we have it. It's nice to see the prison bars running around still, that's why the club takes every opportunity to wear it at AFL level and also why our SANFL team wears it. But if it makes supporters of other SANFL clubs happier to say the magpies are dead etc, that's fine. Change the nickname from Magpies to Power, use the black V guernsey, it really doesn't matter, because as I said at the start, the AFL team is our main priority. Thanks for your support :)
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

kickinit wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Dead buried.

No it doesn't mean he is the Brownlow medalist. But if Gary Ablett Jnr had a son named wedgie it would mean wedgie was the son of the brown low medalist. While I would like to see those legal documents it doesn't surprise me if there isn't any. At the end of the day we don't really care what you think of us, simply because it means absolute jack what you think of us, just like it always has been.

We Are The Port Adelaide Football Club set 1870 always have always will be. Nothing you or others post will never never change that.

Do not deflect the debate by sidetracking it with the Adelaide Oval crap.

The whole crux of this debate is that there are TWO AFL RESERVES team consisting in the MAJORITY of AFL players competing in a BASTARDISED SANFL.

However one team is MASQUARADING today as the defunct MAGPIES.

Not to mention the FACT that these AFL RESERVES teams have the luxury and massive advantage of competing with a HOST of AFL players expertise and FINANCIALS .

Something that the other EIGHT SANFL teams have not benefitted from.

So if you all think this current set up is fair and equitable then some of you posters on this site are condoning CHEATING !!!

Prior to 2014 the Magpies were feared and respected and many many opposition loved to watch them in full flight.

But for a lot of us now we have no interest as been stated numerous times.

We will not be party to watching AFL RESERVES teams.

THATS RIGHT NO INTEREST IN THE POWER RESERVES OR THE CROWS RESERVES.

So once again in Crow jargon.

The current SANFL competition with AFL teams is FAAAAAARRKKKKKKKEDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am

"CHEATING" (Using capitals helps when getting your point across) would be playing outside of the rules governing the competition.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Booney wrote:"CHEATING" (Using capitals helps when getting your point across) would be playing outside of the rules governing the competition.

Ok then its REGULATED and LEGAL CHEATING endorsed by a incompetent SANFL !!!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL