NBA

Re: NBA

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:16 am

Report: LeBron James dumps Miami Heat by exercising termination option to go for free agency

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/report-lebron-james-dumps-miami-heat-by-exercising-termination-option-to-go-for-free-agency/story-fndkzqrr-1226965759153

NBA superstar LeBron James has informed the Miami Heat that he will exercise an early termination option in his contract and become a free agent next week, ESPN reported Tuesday.
Richie Paul, James’ agent, told the team of his client’s decision, which came ahead of a deadline next Monday to decide whether or not to opt out of the last two years of his Miami contract.
James, who was set to make $20 million next season, won his first career NBA titles with the Heat in 2012 and 2013. He also led Miami to the NBA Finals in 2011, when Dallas beat the Heat, and this year, when Miami lost to San Antonio.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:52 am

The Lebron one is interesting 'cos IMHO, if Anthony and he do and up at the same team, I can only see it being the Los Angeles Lakers.

Probable first round draft choice in the upcoming draft, Isaiah Austin has been forced to retire from the sport immediately after finding out that he has Marfan's Syndrome.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby jakovasaurus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:55 am

Likely that LeBron is opting out to restructure his deal to stay in Miami.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Knicks send Felton and Chandler to the Mavs and aquire Calderon, Dalembert, Shane Larkin, Ellington, 34 and 51 in return.
Happy with that trade
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty hounds » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 pm

ORDoubleBlues wrote:The Lebron one is interesting 'cos IMHO, if Anthony and he do and up at the same team, I can only see it being the Los Angeles Lakers.

Probable first round draft choice in the upcoming draft, Isaiah Austin has been forced to retire from the sport immediately after finding out that he has Marfan's Syndrome.

Imo I don't think they will end up at the same place. No team would be able to do a deal to land both of them. What can the lakers offer besides Bryant?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:02 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
ORDoubleBlues wrote:The Lebron one is interesting 'cos IMHO, if Anthony and he do and up at the same team, I can only see it being the Los Angeles Lakers.

Imo I don't think they will end up at the same place. No team would be able to do a deal to land both of them. What can the lakers offer besides Bryant?

Lakers don't need to to offer anything, they are both free agents and Bryant is nearly finished despite his enormous contract.
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 am

ORDoubleBlues wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:

Lakers don't need to to offer anything, they are both free agents and Bryant is nearly finished despite his enormous contract.

Yes they do. They are still in contact. There contact hasn't ran out. LeBron, Bosh and Anthonys contacts were up when they got to decide where they went last time. Because they have opted out trades will have to be done.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby jakovasaurus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am

wrong
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:50 am

jakovasaurus wrote:wrong

Ha was I ever. I was getting confused reading stories. about what the bulls need to do to.sign Anthony.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby jakovasaurus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 am

Yeah lots of trades and salary dumps will have to happen for pretty much anyone to sign these guys.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:07 am

Congratulations Dante Exum taken with the 5th pick in the draft this morning by the Utah Jazz, instant millionaire!

Dante is Australian and the son of former NBL import Cecil Exum.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Another Aussie just drafted with Cameron Bairstow from New Mexico going to the Chicago Bulls with the 49th pick
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 659 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Pick 5:Dante Exum | Shooting Guard | Australian Institute of Sport | A dynamic guard with superstar potential
Pick 49; Cameron Bairstow | Center | New Mexico | Decent defender with strong midrange jump shot.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:53 pm

NBA selects Isaiah Austin in draft
Commissioner Adam Silver announced at that point that the NBA would let Isaiah Austin fulfill the dream of every young player, making him a ceremonial pick.

Just over a week ago, the sophomore center from Baylor was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that affects the heart. It ended his playing career.

The illness was discovered during a physical for the draft.

"For Commissioner Silver to even invite me here was a tremendous blessing and it just shows how much class that man has," Austin said. "It's really been a tough week for me, and it's been really rough. I've just had a tremendous amount of support from everybody around the world, telling me they're praying for me and everything. I can't thank everybody enough."

The crowd at Barclays Center rose to its feet as Austin, sitting in the waiting area with most of the first-round picks, hugged family members and put on a generic NBA cap. He went up to the stage and posed with Silver, just as all the drafts picks do when they are called.

During the season, the 7-foot-1 Austin revealed he had a prosthetic right eye after multiple operations couldn't repair a detached retina.

Austin, expected to be a high pick when healthy, said he felt he has "a great story to share." He said Baylor coach Scott Drew has already offered him a coaching position with the Bears.

"I have a whole life ahead of me," Austin said. "I'm not going to sit here and I'm not going to sulk about not being able to play basketball anymore, because I can still be involved with the game somehow or some way."

Austin said there was plenty to enjoy on what would have been his draft day.

"Just being around all the draftees and seeing my friends get drafted, it just brings joy in my heart because I know how hard we work to get to this point," Austin said. "I've been through it. ... Just to see how people persevere through their own problems, because everybody has their own problems. It's touching and it's heart-warming, really."

Minutes after Austin made the walk across the stage, there were comments on social media.

Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves tweeted: "Happy Isaiah Austin was able to hear his name called at the NBA draft. Very cool to see."

The 1991 Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard tweeted: "Adam Silver hasn't been on the job 12 mos and is already doing a remarkable job! Very classy move. God bless Isaiah Austin."

Kevin Durant of the Oklahoma City Thunder tweeted: "Adam silver is such a classy man! That's love right there. I'm emotional for him. Damn I love that."

Austin is already spreading his message of perseverance.

"I want people to know they can push through anything, because I've done it," he said. "I just want them to know they have the power within themselves to do it if they keep faith and a positive attitude."
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times

Postby Freo HeaveHo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Clearly a lot of people don't have a clear understanding on how free agency works. Lebron was never going to opt in on his deal. Why would he. Yes he might explore other options but even if he 100% wants to stay at miami it's still an opportunity to re structure his contract. Either seek a change on years remaining! The money he is on, seeking more or take a pay cut to bring in his mate Carmelo Anthony. I'll be very surprised if he leaves.

His tweet today sends out positive signs he's going no where

" My favourite player in the draft ! #Napier "

Clearly happy with Miami trading picks to Charlotte for Napier
Freo HeaveHo
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Johno6 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am

bosh has opted out today aswell.

I think all 3 stay, just depends who else they get/go for
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Johno6 wrote:bosh has opted out today aswell.

I think all 3 stay, just depends who else they get/go for

How many more stars can they add with those three all ready there? Surely they wouldn't want to take a bigger pay-cut?
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:17 pm

im not talking stars, im more refering to "the other guys"

get rid of battier etc and pick up some half decent players
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Johno6 wrote:im not talking stars, im more refering to "the other guys"

I reckon Battier has gone. the commentators were saying he was retiring after the playoffs
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Pup » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:21 am

Johno6 wrote:im not talking stars, im more refering to "the other guys"

Battier retired after the season.

They were always going to opt out to re structure things or at least give them a chance to do so. LBJ wants a near max contract as he should, Wade needs to cut his salary and maybe Bosh needs to adjust as well so they can add some other pieces.

Melo is not an option i don't think, so very interesting times ahead for the Heat but at least the big 3 have done the right thing and allowed Pat Riley the ability to add pieces.

Melo meeting with Bulls on first day of free agency, then the Rockets and Mavericks on day 2.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Basketball