Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:35 pm

Any actual facts that back up the claim there was only 400 crow supporters?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby matt35 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:41 pm

@robranisgod

I doubt it. In my case, we had originally planned to go to the Crows Port game in Clare, which did not clash with Glenelg. Unfortunately circumstances got in the way, so at that time we decided we'd go to Alberton that weekend.

I was at the Glenelg games at both Norwood and Unley and there wouldn't have been many more than 100 Glenelg supporters at those games either, a sad reflection of where the club is onfield at the moment. I've actually been surprised that the bottom has not totally fallen out of our home crowds, although I fear Saturday night will be sub 2000.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby matt35 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 pm

@woodublieve12

Of course nobody exactly did a count, but I can assure you that 1-there were hardly any Crows colours in the crowd and 2-you could pretty much hear a pin drop when the Crows scored, even when they were in the game. Very small turn out of Crows support.

If Port can get a turn out even remotely like that in a couple of weeks, it should make for a ripper crowd between Port and Norwood!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:56 am

dedja wrote:I was one of those idiots at Prospect. Not sure if there was 100, depends on whether we are counting heads or legs.

At least you saw your mob have a go for the last three quarters. More than I can say for my mob a few times this year.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am

prowling panther wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Booney wrote:Not really, DW. Very few Adelaide fans attend their SANFL games and it was no different on Saturday. No surprise to see hardly any there.
6100, would have been lucky to be 400 Adelaide fans.
Anyway, it doesn't prove, disprove or otherwise the "success" of this years SANFL changes.

Does the SANFL get a cut of the gate money or does it to to Port Adeliade?

Happy to be corrected but my understanding is the SANFL takes all monies from tickets purchased at the gates and it's then redistributed evenly. Only monies from season tickets go direct the club.
As a side note, Port would have made an absolute killing on Saturday, especially with the 1914 guernsey on sale (more people wearing those than Crows fans). Bars packed, dining areas packed, merchandise store packed. I myself spent about $200 on all of the above.

:) More fool you. :)

Good attitude. Whether you like the club the bloke supports or not, going and spending $200 on food, drinks and merchandise is a good thing for any club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Any actual facts that back up the claim there was only 400 crow supporters?

Only anecdotal and @matt35 may be willing to confirm or deny.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:15 am

Prowling Panther, I'm not the type to pack my own lunch and a thermos. I'm happy to know that every little bit helps, whether it's at Alberton or an away game...although I might reconsider for the journey down to Noarlunga next week.

On the Crows supporter numbers...do they have to present their membership card at the ticket box (ie. and get given a ticket) or do they just wave it to the attendant as they walk through the gate? Surely there could be some system to count them?
Last edited by Rising Power on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 am

sjt wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
twosheds wrote:
So 400 AFC fans means there was only 5700 Port fans there, that is a joke too. Where are the rest of them ?

At home watching the game on Ch 7 and being exposed to adverts, which in turn helps your club.

How?
Is the sanfl going to make $1mill from it, and distribute amongst the clubs? Or are the professional clubs that dominate the telecasts going to contribute more to the financial cost? Did the sponsors that were going to pay for the commercial broadcast ever materialise?

I'm assuming there is an even distribution to each of the SANFL clubs, plus clubs and their sponsors taking it upon themselves to buy spots during their telecasts. Otherwise what's the point of having it on TV at all? I've noticed Centrals have been plugging away on late night TV, maybe they should've saved their pennies and bought only one or two spots during the SANFL games? I don't know what these things cost, but it's a just an idea.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby mickey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am

Rising Power wrote:
On the Crows supporter numbers...do they have to present their membership card at the ticket box (ie. and get given a ticket) or do they just wave it to the attendant as they walk through the gate? Surely there could be some system to count them?

I'm 99% sure the gate I went in had a separate counter thing for crows members
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:40 pm

mickey wrote:
Rising Power wrote:

I'm 99% sure the gate I went in had a separate counter thing for crows members

ive only been to 1 sanfl game this year at elizabeth, and they didnt give me a ticket or anything, i just showed my crows membership and walked through.

they could have been counting, im sure they were somehow, but i didnt see it
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 pm

As I went through the gate i saw two counters, one was clicked for each person who walked through. The other I'm not sure what it was for, maybe a 'thousand' count as the counters only went up to 999.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Rising Power wrote:
sjt wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
twosheds wrote:
So 400 AFC fans means there was only 5700 Port fans there, that is a joke too. Where are the rest of them ?

At home watching the game on Ch 7 and being exposed to adverts, which in turn helps your club.

How?
Is the sanfl going to make $1mill from it, and distribute amongst the clubs? Or are the professional clubs that dominate the telecasts going to contribute more to the financial cost? Did the sponsors that were going to pay for the commercial broadcast ever materialise?

I'm assuming there is an even distribution to each of the SANFL clubs, plus clubs and their sponsors taking it upon themselves to buy spots during their telecasts. Otherwise what's the point of having it on TV at all? I've noticed Centrals have been plugging away on late night TV, maybe they should've saved their pennies and bought only one or two spots during the SANFL games? I don't know what these things cost, but it's a just an idea.

I think you will find the Ads on Channel Nine for both Centrals & Norwood are part of spnsorship arrangements Nine have with the two clubs.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 pm

SimonH wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:No surprise to read above that Summerton, Bruggeman, Krakouer, Slattery, Haren had an impact on the result.
In case anyone had any doubt about the impact that the 'arrangements' (I hesitate to say 'rules') have had on the fact that Port Adelaide are 1st and Adelaide are 9th, last weekend confirmed it. By my count, Port had 15 AFL-listed players playing on the weekend (the above 5 plus Biemans are from the SANFL list), and Adelaide had 16. Port's 'seconds' AFL players may be a little bit further along in their development than Adelaide's—but the biggest difference between the two sides is how the above list of players compares with Will Paynter, Matt Thompson, Addison Burns and Sam Tharaldsen plus Ian Callinan.

Fair comment - and the effect is magnified as the amount of AFL players available on any given week are reduced.

As much as I'd like to - I cant really blame Port for taking the maximum advantage of the conditions they were offered, that issue needs to be lumped fairly and squarely at the SANFL & Directors involved who allegedly allowed it to occur.

Question to Port supporters - Do you feel the structure you have been given to work with is fair? Particularly in view of the fact that a Team who consistently couldnt make finals is now the raging Premiership Favourite.

And for those who think the conditions give Port a leg up - what further restrictions should be imposed on the compilation of the non AFL listed squad?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby twosheds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:you people be happy if 10k showed up??? would that be a acceptable number or what a bout 50k???? Alberton packed to the rafters!!! people unable to get in...

Its not about what "you people" think is acceptable . Its merely amusing that out of so many members and so called supporters only 6100 turned up.
You seem upset at us people having an opinion. Relax.
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby twosheds » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:38 pm

what's the crowd been like this year at elizabeth??? anywhere near 6k?[/quote]

Nope not even close, but then we don't have 50,000 plus members. You seem a little touchy,whats wrong ?
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 pm

twosheds wrote:what's the crowd been like this year at elizabeth??? anywhere near 6k?

Nope not even close, but then we don't have 50,000 plus members. You seem a little touchy,whats wrong ?[/quote]

so are you saying that norwood and sturt dont have more than 3k (or whatever it is) members between them???
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby SANFLnut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Hazydog wrote:
SimonH wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:No surprise to read above that Summerton, Bruggeman, Krakouer, Slattery, Haren had an impact on the result.
In case anyone had any doubt about the impact that the 'arrangements' (I hesitate to say 'rules') have had on the fact that Port Adelaide are 1st and Adelaide are 9th, last weekend confirmed it. By my count, Port had 15 AFL-listed players playing on the weekend (the above 5 plus Biemans are from the SANFL list), and Adelaide had 16. Port's 'seconds' AFL players may be a little bit further along in their development than Adelaide's—but the biggest difference between the two sides is how the above list of players compares with Will Paynter, Matt Thompson, Addison Burns and Sam Tharaldsen plus Ian Callinan.

Fair comment - and the effect is magnified as the amount of AFL players available on any given week are reduced.

As much as I'd like to - I cant really blame Port for taking the maximum advantage of the conditions they were offered, that issue needs to be lumped fairly and squarely at the SANFL & Directors involved who allegedly allowed it to occur.

Question to Port supporters - Do you feel the structure you have been given to work with is fair? Particularly in view of the fact that a Team who consistently couldnt make finals is now the raging Premiership Favourite.

And for those who think the conditions give Port a leg up - what further restrictions should be imposed on the compilation of the non AFL listed squad?

Cap their age at 21at start of year.
Cap their payment per game from the year before at $300.
No previous AFL experience.
No leadership player exemption.

If Port can entice some interstate or country kids who just missed rookie draft to come and play here for a couple of years then that could actually boost the profile of the comp, set up a pathway for some of them and some would then settle here and probably join other SANFL clubs after a couple of years. Much better use of Power's profile than bringing in mature bodies just to manipulate results.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Rising Power » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Hazydog wrote:

I think Port's top up list has a fair balance of talent and experience. Port's top up list consists of SANFL standard players that would walk into any other team in the comp...Anthony Biemans, Angus Bruggemann, Ben Haren, Jake Johansen, Nathan Krakouer, Henry Slattery and Steven Summerton, then fringe league/reserves players Aseri Raikiwasa, Danny Butcher, Sam Gordon, Zac Hawkins, Ben Sawford, Louis Sharrad and Robbie Young, and a project player in Matt Venter (rugby convert).

What I don't like is the Crows system where they enlist the chaff from other clubs and a few country blokes who for whatever reason didn't want to pursue an SANFL/AFL career as teenagers. Balancing out the talent and experience of the AFL listed players with guys who wouldn't ordinarily be good enough or dedicated enough to get a league game doesn't seem to be the best solution IMO.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Postby cennals05 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 pm

bennymacca wrote:

so are you saying that norwood and sturt dont have more than 3k (or whatever it is) members between them???

Membership numbers at SANFL clubs normally sit somewhere between the 2000-3000 mark. I can only find some figures from 2010 on this forum. In July 2010 Glenelg had 2365, Norwood had 2100 and West had 1377.

As you can see the crowds are pretty comparable to the membership numbers.

I believe some clubs have been experiencing a steady decline in members over the last few years.
Last edited by cennals05 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:31 pm

By that, you assume all members go to all games?

Norwood currently have 3111 ( according to norwoodfc.com.au ) Sturt have 3415 ( sturtfc.com.au )

So should they have 6500+ at their games? You know it doesn't work that way.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL