Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:54 pm

kickinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Dunno, we saw how they came back to the pack with a few injuries mid year.

2 key defenders went down, our 2 backup ruck man had knee reckons and we lost 2 guys (mainly mids) a week for 3 weeks straight with rolled ankles. Think you'll find any side that had these injuries would come back to the pack.

And what if you had these injuries all year? You had an excellent run last year.

Interesting with Port only having one draftee from last year having an impact (Impey) at the level, and now enter the 2014 draft at pick 57, in a couple of years they may look back at these.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:57 pm

do port now become premiership favourites with the addition of vossy and ryder ?
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Probably countered a little by getting Wines and Wingard up to the level they are so quickly ( Wines 20, Wingard 21 ) bringing in the likes of Polec ( 22 ) while we have Impey well into the system and the likes of Amon, Harvey, Shaw etc still in their developmental phase.

I know what you're saying, but I think the fact some of our "kids" have come on so quickly it has sort of bought us a year or two of aggressive target recruiting over long term development.

At the other end of the scale we don't have too many at the end of their careers, Schulz would be the oldest at 29 so we won't have a massive turn over in the next 3-5 years. We've got several around the 26/27 mark, so they've got 5-6 more in them.

We'll need to get back into some young talent next year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby kickinit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Dunno, we saw how they came back to the pack with a few injuries mid year.

2 key defenders went down, our 2 backup ruck man had knee reckons and we lost 2 guys (mainly mids) a week for 3 weeks straight with rolled ankles. Think you'll find any side that had these injuries would come back to the pack.

And what if you had these injuries all year? You had an excellent run last year.

Interesting with Port only having one draftee from last year having an impact (Impey) at the level, and now enter the 2014 draft at pick 57, in a couple of years they may look back at these.

It's the same with any club. You take a couple of key position players out for entire year and any team would struggle.

You do realise Dutchy that we have the third youngest list in the AFL. Our core group has many years left in it. Having a our first pick at 57 this year isn't going to hurt us at all.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 pm

agree Port through some real good draft picks have quickly opened their 'premiership window'

While your in that window imho you then have to top up with quality for a real crack at the flag because if you miss your chance the AFL is set up so you could be waiting for another 10 years

At some point you have to plan for the now you can't always be looking to the future especially with free agency where it lost can be destroyed in an instant
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 pm

I think the AFL landscape has changed in the last 6-8 years. The likes of Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have shown by getting to the pinnacle you become an attractive destination for coaches and players alike, from this you can pick and choose the recruits you take and maintain a level of consistency.

Look at 15 years ago how freakish the Brisbane run was viewed, even the Sydney / West Coast era of 05/06 was seen as unusual for teams to have repeat visits to the top 4. Now it's expected.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Booney wrote:I think the AFL landscape has changed in the last 6-8 years. The likes of Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have shown by getting to the pinnacle you become an attractive destination for coaches and players alike, from this you can pick and choose the recruits you take and maintain a level of consistency.

Look at 15 years ago how freakish the Brisbane run was viewed, even the Sydney / West Coast era of 05/06 was seen as unusual for teams to have repeat visits to the top 4. Now it's expected.

Is it a case of AFL careers are getting shorter and shorter so players jump at that 1 chance they may get.

Its now being helped more with free agency, aggressive trading and the top clubs knowing they cant just hope to pick guns from picks 30-70 to stay in the top 4 there best chance to keep topping up with the top end talent they can get.

The AFL is just like the EPL now hey, except the EPL doesn't try and manipulate every aspect of the comp. ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Clurey is progressing along nicely. With our Back 6 now being competed for, by Trengove, Carlisle, Hombsch, Jonas, Clurey, Broadbent, Pittard, O'Shea, Impey, Colquhoun & Stevenson, with Westhoff able to float back there with the inclusion of Ryder and a fit Redden- I think we are better placed to cope with KPD injuries, than last season.

With the age of our list, I think we have enough young talent to work with. If significant injuries happen next year, I doubt we will be able to cover as well as Hawthorn. As Boon eluded to, we are building though.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:25 pm

gossipgirl wrote:do port now become premiership favourites with the addition of vossy and ryder ?

You're telling the story...
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 pm

gossipgirl wrote:do port now become premiership favourites with the addition of vossy and ryder ?

Only if Stevic isn't umpiring when they play Hawthorn or it's a threepeat.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 pm

valleys07 wrote:

just what port supporters are telling me although Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo, Geelong and North Melb might think differently
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Postby stan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:44 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

just what port supporters are telling me although Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo, Geelong and North Melb might think differently

Although wouldn't the crow be favourites now after landing he power house duo from the hawks?
Last edited by stan on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:47 pm

stan wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Nobody is telling you anything you are asking the question and your answer is your still mouthing off.

Although wouldn't the crow be favourites now after landing he power house duo from the hawks?

shouldn't you stick to knitting :roll: :roll: :roll:
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Postby stan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:49 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
stan wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:[quote="gossipgirl"]do port now become premiership favourites with the addition of vossy and ryder ?

Nobody is telling you anything you are asking the question and your answer is your still mouthing off.

shouldn't you stick to knitting :roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]
Hmm perhaps. [emoji6]
stan
Coach

Postby kickinit » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

The boys club at west lakes will tell you different
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Postby stan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 pm

kickinit wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Ask Jars.
stan
Coach

Postby Fricky » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 am

kickinit wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Ryder is a great pick up and fills a need that is going to make port very hard to beat. I've already put $50 on Port to win the flag next season which will ease some of the pain if they do.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:08 am

Ryder and monfries may not be starters next years
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:25 am

Still had a very good year with injuries apart from 3-4 weeks. No doubt Ports best will see them push hard for the flag but their depth is an issue especially around kpp's. This is an area that Hawthorn, Sydney and even Freo when you look @ their injury list this year do so well.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby kickinit » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:11 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Still had a very good year with injuries apart from 3-4 weeks. No doubt Ports best will see them push hard for the flag but their depth is an issue especially around kpp's. This is an area that Hawthorn, Sydney and even Freo when you look @ their injury list this year do so well.

Our kpp's are just fine. We lost both our key defenders at the same time, we would never run with another defender like Trengove or Carlile you also wouldn't be able to keep a player of their quality sitting in the wings waiting for a game. Rucks we were unlucky that our 2 backups had knee injuries and were out for most of the year. I'd be very surprised if any team had 4 genuine ruck man on their list, we also had players like trengove and whestoff that could help out when needed. Our forwards is looking very strong with Paddy lets whestoff move up the ground where he plays his best footy, plus we have the like of wingard, gray and neade doing the crumbing. Our midfield is young and fit and improving each week they play and have shown they can take it up to the top players in the league. I'm more then happy with the quality of our list and I think this year you'll see just how quality it is.
kickinit
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL