R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

Postby LBT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:45 am

I went down and left a tribute last night. There was a young lad in tears, within seconds so was everybody else.
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby shoe boy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:24 am

RIP
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:05 am

I am still in disbelief that he has passed away. Im just pinching myself trying to wake me up from this terrible nightmare and be glad to know it was only just a dream. But its not. I didn't know Phil on a personal level. I was lucky enough on 2 occasions to have spent a little time with him. Once at the oval and the other at the Grand in Glenelg. I can just remember approaching him to say hi and he took the time to have a chat and even share a beer. He has a personality that just attracts so many people. Which is why he is so loved as a person around the world. He will be truly missed every time Australia walks onto the pitch. I know I will miss him. Im even thinking of getting a tatt of #408 on my arm or chest in memory of him for life.
R.I.P. Hughsey and may you look down on Australia and the Redbacks and guide us with your love.

Much love Adam
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:15 am

Victory and United supporters have come together to arrange a minutes applause at the 63rd minute of tonights game to honour Phillip Hughes.
Sydney derby now doing likewise
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:30 am

ATCA this weekend:

The ATCA instructs all clubs to observe the following protocol for all ATCA Senior and Junior fixtures this weekend

· All teams must wear black armbands

· Both teams in full cricket dress along with the umpires line up on either side of the wicket for minutes silence

· All Premier Grade matches should have kit of cricket gear (bat, pads, gloves and helmet) lying at one end to illustrate the respect in which Phil Hughes is being held within the ATCA community.

· The ATCA has also added news item in respect of Phil Hughes on the website
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:32 am

On November 16, Australia lost its 27th Test captain Ian Craig and his passing left barely a ripple on the Australian public, excepting some eulogies in the sports media.
In fact, Sheffield Shield players in the South Australia versus Victoria game taking place at the time did not even wear black armbands, leaving some long-time cricket commentators disappointed.
Craig played just 11 Tests for Australia, between 1953 and 1958.
For such a short career, he achieved much: he was the youngest Australian Test cricketer and became the youngest man ever to have captained his country.
So much was expected of this young man that he was labeled the next Don Bradman, an 'honour' with mixed blessings bestowed on many young Australian cricketers over the next 50 years.
It was a false title because, as we all know, there could only be one Don.
Like Craig, Phillip Hughes, who passed away just 11 days later, was a young batting prodigy who came from New South Wales and was labeled the 'next big thing'; thankfully, the title of the 'next Don Bradman' being passed to talented batsmen had all but faded by the time Hughes made his Test debut against South Africa, 56 years after Craig had stepped out to face the same country.
Hughes' youth at the time of selection, 20, saw him also go on to achieve records for his nation – the youngest player to score two centuries in the same Test being the most notable.
Both men were born in rural New South Wales; Craig in Yass, and Hughes in Macksville.
By all reports, they were unaffected by the fame which playing for their nation attracted to them.
Craig's career was short, only five years, and featured just two half-centuries.
Illness and then a business career curtailed what could have been a lengthy stay under the Baggy Green.
A pharmacist, Craig eventually became the Australian manager of a significant pharmaceutical business and remained involved in cricket as an administrator, passing away in that famous cricketing town of Bowral, aged 79.
And that is where the tragedy lies in the death of Phillip Hughes.
Our nation has not mourned the loss of a player in the midst of his career since the infinitely talented Archie Jackson (who played his first Test as a 19 year old), died at the age of 23 in 1933, during the infamous Bodyline tour.
Ian Craig retired from cricket at the age of 26, a milestone Hughes was to have attained on Sunday.
While we will never know whether Hughes would have played Tests for Australia again and we will never know how many runs he would have scored, the real tragedy is that he was so young.
While Ian Craig's passing was sad, it came at the end of a life that had achieved much and given to so many.
Like Archie Jackson before him, Phillip Hughes will never have that chance.
And that is the reason so much grief has been expressed by cricket lovers across the world.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 am

My first experience of the new Adelaide oval was to go down and watch Phil Hughes make a double century. Was a great day.

bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Got home last night and my 11yo was in tears, old enough to understand what went on but to young to understand how fragile life is. Cried himself to sleep last night and it broke my heart.

We found Phil's signature on his autograph bat from last year, something for him to treasure.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:25 pm

That clutches at the heart strings, Dutch.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Sometimes I feel in this circumstances that a lot of times people get caught up in the emotion and start wanting to honour and pay tribute to the victim in ways that are over zelous for their contribution (if that makes sense)

But in Hughes case all the tributes flowing in and and all the ways people are talking about how to honour Hughes seem so appropriate to what he contributed in his small career

For me I know he only played a handful of Odi games but he did make an impact, I would like to see Aussie one day captains wearing the number 63 Shirt from now on
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 pm

My lad, 18, gave me the biggest hug he's given me in a long, long time last night. With "Love you Dad" spoken as he hugged me.

His words "How shit is that? Has a crack at one, misses it....and gone. Poor bastard"

Tearing up as I type this now....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Booney wrote:My lad, 18, gave me the biggest hug he's given me in a long, long time last night. With "Love you Dad" spoken as he hugged me.

His words "How shit is that? Has a crack at one, misses it....and gone. Poor bastard"

Tearing up as I type this now....

Driving to training last night and on Triple J a listener had texted in that he and someone he didn't know were standing at traffic lights somewhere in Australia with their headphones on with tears streaming down their faces. I too lost it at that point.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:47 pm

whufc wrote:Sometimes I feel in this circumstances that a lot of times people get caught up in the emotion and start wanting to honour and pay tribute to the victim in ways that are over zelous for their contribution (if that makes sense)

But in Hughes case all the tributes flowing in and and all the ways people are talking about how to honour Hughes seem so appropriate to what he contributed in his small career

For me I know he only played a handful of Odi games but he did make an impact, I would like to see Aussie one day captains wearing the number 63 Shirt from now on

His impact was big in 26 test matches and I feel he was certainly hard done by slectors in a time of instability - averaging 46 and still cant get a gig???? His innings when Agar made his 98, his first dismissal being that horror shot in South Africa, his two tons the following match first one bought up with a 6, his constant blundering of attacks in Australian domestic cricket, youngest to ton up in a shield final etc etc. His impact was so big in a short period of time, his achievements memorable like few others, probably far more than blokes who have played 50-60+ tests.

At cricket training last night, we were talking and a few of the blokes were mates of Phil's. We talked about how in the Ashes when he got found out by the poms with short pitch bowling. He went away, had the bowling machine cranked wizzing them at his head for hours, and had complete net sessions of bumpers...... he would have faced more short stuff than many proffesional players, he worked his ass off on improving his game to deal with the exact delivery that would end up costing him his life :(
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby no_remorse28 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Seen this on the C&CCA Facebook group last night - Fitzroy & Enfield before playing a T20.
It's gut wrenching stuff what has happened, and it's affected so many people far and wide.

Rest in Peace :(

C&CCA.jpg
C&CCA.jpg (40.03 KiB) Viewed 6570 times
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Such a sad day yesterday. When I first found out I'm sitting there in the office with tears in my eyes. I was expecting someone to come along and say harden up but even our office which hardly has a cricket fan in it, everyone had long, sad faces. Hughes' death hasn't just shaken the Cricket community, but the community in general.

I think the Test should go ahead to honour Hughes and to support Abbott who must be feeling lower than Dogshit about now.

RIP Phil Hughes.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:16 pm

It's made me want to be a part of the mateship that cricket brings, I've put in a clearance to return to my old club for tomorrow, I hope it gets pushed through.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:54 pm

I love that one!!
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby dogsrbarkin » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Watching the NZ v PAK test at the minute what a terrible thing that we lost our little brother ......A minutes silence before the game kiwi boys crying all have P.H written on their shirts then a wicket in the 2nd over pakky captain caught behind not one kiwi boy celebrated gotta love our neighbours :cry:
dogsrbarkin
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:18 pm

dogsrbarkin wrote:Watching the NZ v PAK test at the minute what a terrible thing that we lost our little brother ......A minutes silence before the game kiwi boys crying all have P.H written on their shirts then a wicket in the 2nd over pakky captain caught behind not one kiwi boy celebrated gotta love our neighbours :cry:

Much respect to them and I hope the Aussie fans remember this the next time they tour
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket