Gaelic Football in South Australia

Any other sports

Re: Gaelic Football in South Australia

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:32 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Flinders O'Neills wrote:Port roll on with a close win over Na Fianna, well done to them good to see a new team up in finals contention...will be good to see 3 teams fighting it out for 3rd and 4th place...

St Brendans confirmed they will be the team to beat, getting over Western by a couple...

Flinders beat Irish by 5 Overs

We've beat them once, and we'll beat them twice more if we need to ;)

#ports

Yes you have beat them once...In the history of your club :roll:

Don't get ahead of yourself rookie. From all reports the only reason you beat them was due to the master stroke coaching maneuverers of Coach Troy. Yes Ports are embarking on a Troyvelution but it's a big step from playing off for key rings to holding up Betty. :)

Yep, and we're making history this year. Friday was our first ever win over Na Fianna or so I am told.

We've got a good team that can beat anybody on our day. We dropped the first two, with the new boys learning the game, and then have won 4 of the last 5, only dropping one to Western Ireland.

We're proud of how the clubs improving this season. :D
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Not sure if you can read too much into the Taints vs Purple Haze result, the game was played at 13 a side as the Goats only had 14 (we had 16ish with a few rookies). 13 a side always suits us better, but we wont have that space come finals time and 15 a side.

Speaking of finals - is it the same setup as usual, with Soundwave lobbed straight in the middle of the prelims...??
Gaelic Football - Funny name, SERIOUS GAME!
http://www.gaelicfootballsa.com.au/
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:Not sure if you can read too much into the Taints vs Purple Haze result, the game was played at 13 a side as the Goats only had 14 (we had 16ish with a few rookies). 13 a side always suits us better, but we wont have that space come finals time and 15 a side.

Speaking of finals - is it the same setup as usual, with Soundwave lobbed straight in the middle of the prelims...??

Surely a Friday night game that weekend is more fitting?

We've done it before
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Got a chance to watch the Traditional rivals Na F and Flinders last night and it was a pretty good contest.

Na Fianna 0.12 def Flinders 0.4
Na Fianna ; Noons 3, Jack O 2, Mac Kinsy 2, Capten Conor 2, Mots 1 and a cuttla others
FON ; Puck Hockey 2 and uncertain on the other 2
Best
Na F ; Noonan, The Milky Bar Kid, Pinky, Keeper, Tommy and Jack
FON; Puck easily their best, Bausty, Dale because he is my mate and always makes me laugh out there and young Bienke battled hard

Typically sh$thouse St. Marys conditions with a swirling strong breeze pushing down the hill. The Reds went with it and didn't make the most of it up 4-3 at the half. Na F with 3 of last years squad of 30 :shock: playing , played composed football holding onto the ball when in possession and predominantly handball ing to maintain possession. Flinders had plenty of the ball but tended to break down across half forward with just a 4 man forward line. Alex "puck" Hockey and Bausty were everywhere early and looked most likely to build quality attacks but it was Bryant who is the only Aussie whiter than all Irishmen who marshalled and often repelled the attacks.

The second half saw Na Fianna predominantly have the ball in their half for the duration. Conor and Daniel "magic" Motlop bobbed up for some early points and Seany Noonan kicked a couple of crucial ones to ensure Na F would take the chocolates in this one. The work rate and discipline of this PAC alumni were a standout in this game.

Highlights
- a good competitive game played in good spirits with your standard banter
- the form of Na Fiannas young fellas
- seeing a second generation Flinders player out there
- Dale
- I thought umpire Conlons had the best game I have seen him have letting the game go in trying conditions

Lowlights
- the crowd of 8 people
- 2 players being told they couldn't play as it had to be 13 a side (can we really afford to turn away players?)
- Milko playing a blinder

Good game to watch considering the conditions. Shame there isn't that old atmosphere from the days of old when these two teams competed.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 861 times

Postby HH3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Ports up to 3rd after a nailbiting 1 point win over Onkas.

Pretty tough game in the end. F**kin hot as shit. After the break Im not in the greatest shape, so it was struggletown after my first contest. Onkas killed us for the first 10 minutes and were up by 6 at the half. I heard their coach tell them we would get rolling if we started the second half well, amd thats exactly what we did.

Some tempers flairing made it more interesting. Ports had no bench, and Onkas were one player down for the last 5-10 mins for a brain snap, and some pretty wayward punches.

Good to get them by a point. Returning the favour of them getting us by one earlier this season.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:57 pm

What number were you HH3? I was there watching the missus in the game before?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby HH3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

No. 3. Did not much at all. Couple of bumps and a few spoils and thats me done haha

All the credit has to go to the rest of the boys.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:24 pm

Sure. Thought you blokes were toast after the first 10 and the big unit for you blokes looked to strain a Glute with no bench. Nice work to come back. Some tallented blokes in this comp. Number 10 from Onkas sinked the first over off the carpet 40 out like a laser beam on a 45 degree angle. That is a seriously good kick at Kenilworth with the Southerly blowing through each week. Very impressed. Seen some good footballers look mediocre from that spot.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 773 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:30 pm

Wow wee, what a night. I was down the beach when my phone started running hot. It was Stevey Ray Clay aka Toasty! who excitedly informed me " get down to Dizzy Square (social hq of Pt. Districts) now. We have just had a magnificent come from behind win over the Premiers for the first time in the clubs history." " Sh@t is goona get loose, cmon down"

It's hard to describe in words the euphoria and unparalleled shenanigans I witnessed from this band of loose cats but I will do my best to pay tribute to the antics of the new big dogs of Gaelic Football. Dizzy square was amok with various activities, here is what I saw.

- Coach Troy had Pokey bent over and was giving it to him for his non attendance today. Pokey indeed :oops:
- Toasty was dancing on the table in his Crows guernsey sprouting "Hannigan Cup and SANFL premiership, year of the Toast!"
- Cash 123 was stalking Facebook looking for Flinders players to PM
- Brad Ditts was taking the young minions through his new kicking technique and reminiscing about his illustrious radio career
- HH3 was straight on SAFooty
- Kosta Mylonas was watching a DVD of Remember the Titans
- Shaun Williams sat with 5 or 6 ice packs nursing many bruises and much swelling whilst nursing a concussion telling stories of his courage and the thuggery of his angry opponent
- Shane O,Donnell was pissed so no-one knew what he was saying

A big night for the club, congrats boys. Good luck for the rest of the year.

*some of this post may be slightly embellished for forum entertainment purposes ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:42 am

wristwatcher wrote:Wow wee, what a night. I was down the beach when my phone started running hot. It was Stevey Ray Clay aka Toasty! who excitedly informed me " get down to Dizzy Square (social hq of Pt. Districts) now. We have just had a magnificent come from behind win over the Premiers for the first time in the clubs history." " Sh@t is goona get loose, cmon down"

It's hard to describe in words the euphoria and unparalleled shenanigans I witnessed from this band of loose cats but I will do my best to pay tribute to the antics of the new big dogs of Gaelic Football. Dizzy square was amok with various activities, here is what I saw.

- Coach Troy had Pokey bent over and was giving it to him for his non attendance today. Pokey indeed :oops:
- Toasty was dancing on the table in his Crows guernsey sprouting "Hannigan Cup and SANFL premiership, year of the Toast!"
- Brad Ditts was taking the young minions through his new kicking technique and reminiscing about his illustrious radio career
- Shaun Williams sat with 5 or 6 ice packs nursing many bruises and much swelling whilst nursing a concussion telling stories of his courage and the thuggery of his angry opponent

*some of this post may be slightly embellished for forum entertainment purposes ;)

When I saw Kosta's name, I thought you were going to say he was straight on to powerpoint...
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:41 am

the milky bar kid wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Wow wee, what a night. I was down the beach when my phone started running hot. It was Stevey Ray Clay aka Toasty! who excitedly informed me " get down to Dizzy Square (social hq of Pt. Districts) now. We have just had a magnificent come from behind win over the Premiers for the first time in the clubs history." " Sh@t is goona get loose, cmon down"

When I saw Kosta's name, I thought you were going to say he was straight on to powerpoint...

I was going to shoulder arms and let that one through to the keeper but I feel it would be remiss of me not to point put that I can unequivocally say that Kosta had nothing to do with the aforementioned PowerPoint. Like me he was merely a spectator observing it at our presentation night.

Whilst I assume your post is tongue in cheek I feel it is important to go into bat for the former Titans Skipper as he does work for your team and mine and the greatest Football club on earth....Port Power :D
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

wristwatcher wrote:
the milky bar kid wrote:

I was going to shoulder arms and let that one through to the keeper but I feel it would be remiss of me not to point put that I can unequivocally say that Kosta had nothing to do with the aforementioned PowerPoint. Like me he was merely a spectator observing it at our presentation night.

Whilst I assume your post is tongue in cheek I feel it is important to go into bat for the former Titans Skipper as he does work for your team and mine and the greatest Football club on earth....Port Power :D

People post seriously on here??? :shock:

*apart from that part about me having a blinder... That was serious 8)
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Didnt Port beat Onkas last year or the year before? I recall one of the Port players scoring an audacious/hilarious headed goalski that was ruled out!

Good result for the Port boys, which must put them as favourites to make the top 4?

Taints beat Irish Australians, but Irish certainly looked like they had improved and finished off the game with a flurry of goals. Also special mention must go to the goalkeeping jersey worn by the Irish keeper Rossco - it was an absolute shocker!
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:Didnt Port beat Onkas last year or the year before? I recall one of the Port players scoring an audacious/hilarious headed goalski that was ruled out!

Good result for the Port boys, which must put them as favourites to make the top 4?

Taints beat Irish Australians, but Irish certainly looked like they had improved and finished off the game with a flurry of goals. Also special mention must go to the goalkeeping jersey worn by the Irish keeper Rossco - it was an absolute shocker!

In all seriousness, they were singing Back Street Boys at the top of their lungs by 11pm at Dizzy square last night. Believe me when I say they would have no recollection of what happened last year.

I thought that was a Flinders game but I could be wrong. I do know I was the ref that disallowed it much to the disappointment of the huge St. Marys crowd ;)

Some readers of this forum know what's coming next :evil: :( ....
Who will ever forget the 1994ish Hannigan Cup Final where a young Paringa Wolfhound player named Stuart D*pshit (last name may be incorrect) was given a gift wrapped handball across the box as the keeper had left his line. This was at the Northern end of TK Shutter late in the game with the Clovercrest Gaels leading by a point. Stuart had several options but one of them was not to "HEADER THE F#$$%^^ BALL". From 6 yards it was harder to miss than score a goal but ole mate found a way. Gaels would go on to win a thriller and I may or may not have cried. To this day he who headers in a Gaelic game is "Doing a Stuart!". Nobody wants to do a Stuart.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cash 123 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:37 am

Couldn't find any they have gone missing
Cash 123
Under 18s

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Cash 123 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Missing along with the great Snake Eyes
Cash 123
Under 18s

Postby Cheese Twisties » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 am

Looks like the party would have been down at Dakes HQ this weekened! Irish with their first win of the season, knocking off the giant killing Port Districts by 1 point.

Well done to Irish, we played them last week and they have certainly improved since the start of the season.
Cheese Twisties
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:

Looks like the party would have been down at Dakes HQ this weekened! Irish with their first win of the season, knocking off the giant killing Port Districts by 1 point.

Well done to Irish, we played them last week and they have certainly improved since the start of the season.

This win also sees the Irish lads raise their first piece of silverware in a long time in the form of the Shane O Donnell cup. Chocolates to boiled lollies for the lads from Dizzy Square this week.

Should make the battle for 3rd and 4th a lot more interesting.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Cash 123 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:

This win also sees the Irish lads raise their first piece of silverware in a long time in the form of the Shane O Donnell cup. Chocolates to boiled lollies for the lads from Dizzy Square this week.

Should make the battle for 3rd and 4th a lot more interesting.

Congratulations to I.A well deserved win and the game was played fairly and in good spirit by both teams.

Fantastic to see the great Shane O on hand for the game and presentation.

One interesting topic is weather referees who are in direct competition with the teams they are adjudicating, should be allowed to officiate those games? Thoughts people
Cash 123
Under 18s

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

Yep good point....

Perhaps we should be using the refs from the Gaelic academy or I will place a call to our umpiring department and get the 15-20 refs we have been keeping a secret and start kitting them up.

Unfortunately the passionate people who stick their hand up to Ref are always going to be those involved in other teams. In a perfect world it wouldn't happen but through necessity it has too happen. As a former referees director I assure you the refs roster is a nightmare and there next to no chance in facilitating your ideal scenario.

Perhaps Port Districts could supply a ref, I assume your nominating yourself Cash :D I think you would be awesome and humorous to watch ref. :lol:
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports