Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Hird's appeal has been dismissed and ordered to pay ASADA's costs
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:00 pm

dedja wrote:Hird's appeal has been dismissed and ordered to pay ASADA's costs

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the High Court we go......
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Fricky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:15 pm

am Bays wrote:

Going on form, I would say Hird will have his appeal into the high court by the close of business today
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Hondo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:23 pm

I hate to say it but I will ... sucked in :evil:
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby MW » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Beyond a joke this club. Threatening boycotting games if they don't get penalties backdated to Sept 2014 (why???) is the last straw.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:09 pm

MW wrote:Beyond a joke this club. Threatening boycotting games if they don't get penalties backdated to Sept 2014 (why???) is the last straw.

What a load of crap. Firstly it is the players not the club who are driving this boycott scenerio. Secondly ive explained why a few posts above but ill explain again for you. If players are found guilty any punishment is backdated to our last game which was the finals loss to North but if the players play NAB cup then that could become their last game and thats when the penalty starts. The players want a definitive answer on the rules and I believe they are meeting with ASADA on Wednesday to go over it. If the players cant get assurances that playing the NAB games wont harm or alter the penalty then they will not play in it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:17 pm

On the face of it, that's a fair enough position for the players to take.

This all needs to be sorted ASAP with a decision made on the fate of the players a priority.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby MW » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:58 am

Jim05 wrote:
MW wrote:Beyond a joke this club. Threatening boycotting games if they don't get penalties backdated to Sept 2014 (why???) is the last straw.

What a load of crap. Firstly it is the players not the club who are driving this boycott scenerio. Secondly ive explained why a few posts above but ill explain again for you. If players are found guilty any punishment is backdated to our last game which was the finals loss to North but if the players play NAB cup then that could become their last game and thats when the penalty starts. The players want a definitive answer on the rules and I believe they are meeting with ASADA on Wednesday to go over it. If the players cant get assurances that playing the NAB games wont harm or alter the penalty then they will not play in it

Firstly, if you think it's the players driving the boycott you are delusional

Secondly, it does not make sense to backdate a punishment to September when they have not been penalised since September. Have they been banned from pre-season training? Camps? The club? No.

It's a joke.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:27 am

MW wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Firstly, if you think it's the players driving the boycott you are delusional

Secondly, it does not make sense to backdate a punishment to September when they have not been penalised since September. Have they been banned from pre-season training? Camps? The club? No.

It's a joke.

It is the players driving it, the AFLPA are the ones who are advising them so.
The players and AFLPA informed the club of this a couple of days back and it was the AFLPA who organised a meeting between the AFL/ASADA/Essendon and the players to sit down and clarify the ruling.
The club has not decided to boycott the NAB cup and they are quite prepared to field a weakened side in the NAB cup like most sides do anyway.
On your second point that is ASADA's decision to backdate penalties and to also allow players to train.
Most of this is pretty much out of the clubs hands now, its up to individual players and their legal reps as to what decisions to take from here on
Jim05
Coach

Postby dedja » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Suri wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Going on form, I would say Hird will have his appeal into the high court by the close of business today

Well, no surprise that he's considering it. If he does, then all he's going to do is stretch this sorry saga out for another 6-12 months.

In the meantime, the club has snookered itself backing him and no matter what he does, they blindly stick by him.

Unfortunately for Essendon, it appears to be another year of destabilisation.
dedja
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:31 pm

massive flog...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Happy Endings » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:49 pm

So will teams just get a bye or forfeit win when they are scheduled to play the Dons this year
Happy Endings
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: West Gambier

Essendon 2014

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:08 pm

Happy Endings wrote:So will teams just get a bye or forfeit win when they are scheduled to play the Dons this year

No, have enough backup players
Depends on how long bans are, may only get a couple of weeks ban
Jim05
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:45 pm

What a joke.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Surely if Essendon players are found guilty of taking illegal substances the board of the Essendon Football Club have no choice but to sack James Hird given he was Senior Coach at the time?

As Bomber Thompson has already been let go I would assume Mark Harvey would then be announced as the new coach of the Bombers.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:So will teams just get a bye or forfeit win when they are scheduled to play the Dons this year

that would be a disgrace...

Back dating it is a joke too.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Surely if Essendon players are found guilty of taking illegal substances the board of the Essendon Football Club have no choice but to sack James Hird given he was Senior Coach at the time?

As Bomber Thompson has already been let go I would assume Mark Harvey would then be announced as the new coach of the Bombers.

Harvey would step in
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:34 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Essendon doesnt make the rules, sportsmen all around the world have been given back dated penalties.
Way too early to predict IMO, depending which media person you listen to the ban ranged from zero weeks to 6 months
Jim05
Coach

Postby cracka » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Essendon doesnt make the rules, sportsmen all around the world have been given back dated penalties.
Way too early to predict IMO, depending which media person you listen to the ban ranged from zero weeks to 6 months

I'm a bit torn on this. I really think the players were lied to about what they were taking but is being naive a legitimate defence. I know if a doctor prescribes me something I don't question it but these guys are professional players & should be aware if anything they take is illegal & have independent testing done. I think Warren Tredrea was prescribed something but got his own testing done & found out it was illegal. I've said before I would let the players off (due to no one testing positive for anything, remember Alastair Lynch) but Hird, Dank & co should be banned for life.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:41 am

If you were a professional sportsman and you were getting stuck with needles several times a week I'm sure you would be asking questions. With all the Lance Armstrong coverage every time you saw the needle man coming you would be pondering the question no doubt, what the hell is this gear they keep whacking me with.

If they were told untruths, then they are stiff but then they should be suing the club for maladministration. Someone has to pay for this saga
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL