"State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Re:

Postby StrayDog » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Aerie wrote:It would likely be longer than the NAB Cup wouldn't it? Presuming the Essendon players cop the ban. What a mess.

Anyway, good luck to any individual player that gets a chance on the big stage again. After all, that is what it is all about...
Jim05 wrote:Cant see it extending into the season proper but you never know, id be disappointed if top up players didnt return to their SANFL clubs in time for the start of the SANFL season

FWIW, a VFL club seems to have concerns about this extending to the regular season.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 3hhxq.html

"Port Melbourne coach Gary Ayres has sent a blunt message in the direction of Essendon, urging the club to back off the Borough's list come the season proper."

(Acknowledgement to NorthPort at vflfooty.com for the link.)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 190 times

Re:

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 pm

If you thought last year's SANFL comp was screwed with and compromised by the AFL wait until you see this years...
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re:

Postby Ian » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:37 am

Jim05 wrote:
Squawk wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Can definately see everyones point. When the use of top up players was first mooted by the AFL, Essendon put in a submission to use local players and VFL reserves players. For some reason the AFL knocked it on the head and decided that all top up players must be from a state league club and have been on an AFL list in the last two years, this narrows the pool significantly.
I still dont understand why the other players refuse to play, its not as if everyone doesnt know who the ones with infraction notices are, been public knowledge for some time

Clearly the AFL wants to preserve some sort of capability integrity - they don't want lowly teams smashing them by 20 goals or no one will turn up or watch it on TV either! Too many angry stakeholders......

Its practice matches!
Not even playing for a Cup anymore, just a series of glorified trial games. Most teams rest 3/4 of their players anyway and play kids

I wish you'd stop sticking up for Essendon Jim,
I've upset a few of their VIC supporters giving them a serve, I get the players want the chance to play at a higher level but at least have the courtesy to contact the club/s that will be effected.
As for the AFL, if they'd handled things better from the start this would be all over and done with by now and everyone would know where they're at, although I'm a Bombers supporter I'm pretty pissed off with them atm, I've only watched a hand full of games in the past 2 years, this isn't giving me any reason to get more excited in 2015
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Re:

Postby Dutchy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:43 am

Its a poor situation, but at least have the decency to approach the clubs and let them know you are talking to their players, only a small thing but gives you some insight to the arrogance and disrespect to others Essendon have shown in recent times.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2306 times
Been liked: 3479 times

Re: "State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 am

Dutchy wrote:Its a poor situation, but at least have the decency to approach the clubs and let them know you are talking to their players, only a small thing but gives you some insight to the arrogance and disrespect to others Essendon have shown in recent times.

I agree on this.
Sent an email yesterday to Dodoro outlining my displeasure at how this has been handled.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re:

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:48 am

I think the AFL need to take some responsibility also, for the way in which they allowed Essendon to approach the State Leagues
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11782 times
Been liked: 3577 times

Re:

Postby Harry the Horse » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am

This won't be a popular viewpoint but I have no sympathy for the SANFL clubs.
They made their beds 18 months ago when they let the Crows and Power walk all over them.
The SANFL is now a reserves competition and is being treated as such by the AFL.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

"State League" players to top for AFL Nab flog challenge

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:06 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think the AFL need to take some responsibility also, for the way in which they allowed Essendon to approach the State Leagues

My understanding is that once the announcement was made to use top ups the managers and players starting ringing the club directly. About 60 players have approached Essendon directly. Still think out of courtesy a phone call could be made to the SANFL clubs as I would also think its fair that the players let their SANFL clubs know that they are speaking to Essendon
Jim05
Coach

Re:

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 am

Interestingly, I've been told that during the Barossa Community Camp Angus Monfries was attending a Q&A with young students and was asked how his AFL career started. Throughout his answer he referred to being drafted to a "Victorian club" and "being in Victoria", didn't mention Essendon once.
I thought that's an interesting response.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re:

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:55 am

Far as I'm concerned the Bombers should have only been allowed to use players from their Reserves team not pillage other clubs players!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re:

Postby JK » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 am

IF there's a positive for Sanfl clubs, I think it is that generally players still aspiring to an AFL career generally make better players in our local league. Does anyone know if transfer fee's apply for these replacement players?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby on the rails » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:53 am

JK wrote:IF there's a positive for Sanfl clubs, I think it is that generally players still aspiring to an AFL career generally make better players in our local league. Does anyone know if transfer fee's apply for these replacement players?

I don't thnk there is based on it initially being only for NAB Cup and the players are supposed to return to their SANFL Clubs by start of season proper however if the drug saga continues and the Essendon players are rubbed out then the majority will remain to ensure Essendon have a "proper" list come home and away season.

Doesn't much matter if there is a fee - it would be like the current drip system payments for AFL transfers but regardless of how much money the clubs get per player how are they supposed to fill that gap this late in the pre-season re a quality / equal replacement - they can't!
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Re:

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 am

Hypothetically, in the event that some (not all) of Essendon’s players are suspended from regular AFL home and away, will Essendon be forced to upgrade their rookies onto the main list before offering contracts to SANFL players?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:05 pm

on the rails wrote:
JK wrote:IF there's a positive for Sanfl clubs, I think it is that generally players still aspiring to an AFL career generally make better players in our local league. Does anyone know if transfer fee's apply for these replacement players?

I don't thnk there is based on it initially being only for NAB Cup and the players are supposed to return to their SANFL Clubs by start of season proper however if the drug saga continues and the Essendon players are rubbed out then the majority will remain to ensure Essendon have a "proper" list come home and away season.

Doesn't much matter if there is a fee - it would be like the current drip system payments for AFL transfers but regardless of how much money the clubs get per player how are they supposed to fill that gap this late in the pre-season re a quality / equal replacement - they can't!

In the case of the Eagles, the club has used the signing of Petrenko to help sell memberships for the coming season. It may be the same situation at other clubs. Without their presence it may have some (albeit small) impact on the ability to sell memberships.

I also read somewhere that Essendon are in the process of working out compensation for clubs if their players get injured during the NAB cup. But no mention (yet) of any compensation if they get extended contracts.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby JK » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 pm

on the rails wrote:

Yeah I hear ya mate, just dont understand why there wouldnt be a transfer fee attached with a transfer lol. As you rightly said though, it wouldn't really help anyway when SANFL clubs cant replace star local players.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Hypothetically, in the event that some (not all) of Essendon’s players are suspended from regular AFL home and away, will Essendon be forced to upgrade their rookies onto the main list before offering contracts to SANFL players?

I believe so if it came to that.
If every single player was rubbed out we would still have a squad of about 30 including rookies
Jim05
Coach

Re:

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:44 pm

SANFL tell Essendon to FAAAAARKKKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby RB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:Still think out of courtesy a phone call could be made to the SANFL clubs

Exactly - how hard is it to make a phone call?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 758 times
Been liked: 1068 times

Postby stan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:SANFL tell Essendon to FAAAAARKKKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF !!!!!!!!

SANFL actually came out and said they are ok with players from there league being used. No mention of the clubs though.

Probably a bit hard to tell th to **** off now.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re:

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:15 pm

well the SANFL can hardly speak against the AFL
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11782 times
Been liked: 3577 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL