The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 13, 2015 9:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:What is your opinion on all this BP?

I'm in the same boat as the majority, mate, when it comes to a dislike of the AFL Reserves coming in...

Unfortunately, and it's painfully obvious, the current situation is killing off the SANFL we all previously knew and loved...

It's just that I still have a love for the rest of the competition and my passion is commentating the games, so a long as the SANFL is around, I'll be involved promoting it and broadcasting it...

I have a situation at work where I cannot stand a certain person I have to work with. He is the Port / Crows of my workplace but in order for me to do my job properly, I have to accept he is a part of it...

Whilst I don't like working with him, I have to, if I want to stay in my job. I could take the easy road and let him get his way but because I enjoy what I do, much like the commentary, I accept it comes with the territory...

I don't want to walk away from something I love and am so passionate about but it is painful seeing it head down the path it is...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby RB » Wed May 13, 2015 9:53 pm

spell_check wrote:Exclude the two Anzac Day matches last year and you average 2907 to this point.

Do the same for this year (well, the 24th) and you get 2541.

Want another comparison? 2009 had not two, but three matches badly weather affected on Anzac Day. In my table, 2009 averaged 3173. Take those three matches out and it's 3306. My point being, even that year is miles ahead of what we have this year even though one of the biggest drawing days on the SANFL calendar also had shoddy weather.

And if other days this year are cited, 'poor weather' isn't just a chance of a shower or a light shower or cooler than normal conditions.

From memory, the weather in 2013 was at least as bad as it is this year. I remember the rain pouring for a quarter or so in Round 1 at Unley and hoping that this wasn't a sign of things to come. Ended up being one of the wettest winters in years (at least on Saturday afternoons).
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby spell_check » Wed May 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Oh, and here's another thing, after that article was released I think is the best timing to say it:

Last year all we heard was crowds were up on 2013...over and over. Not one mention was made of the real poor weather in 2013 in comparison to the whole of 2014.

This year crowds are well down and it's due to the 'poor' weather.

I rest my case.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Lame excuses and I thought that Jake might have some balls on him, he's fuding figures and making excuses.
Sick of this shit. Who in authority will put their arse on the line and make a stand for the comp?
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby RB » Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm

JK wrote:Somehow I have a lot more trust in someone like Kris Grant to have a better idea of the SANFL competition than this clown.

I'd trust Kevin Pietersen more than Parkinson.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby wild dog » Wed May 13, 2015 11:14 pm

As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

No sh*t you want to keep the seconds in a top notch league. Why wouldn't you. However this isn't about your success, its about my f*cking clubs survival, and you Harper and your mediocre organisation need to remember that. Adelaide has had a solid gold 25 years with an adoring public gazing on, and the fully fledged backing of a platinum organisation in the SANFL. You knew you couldn't fail, and it made you lazy. The Adelaide football club is a lazy, bloated and spoilt club that deserves no more sacrifice from the SANFL clubs and its members.

For Harper and his cohorts to issue such a statement just reinforces that they don't get it. I cant believe I actually supported the pricks.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 13, 2015 11:20 pm

wild dog wrote:As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

Adelaide Football Club SANFL chief Phil Harper wants to keep the Crows in the State league — and hold the same one-team model that is under fire today.

“We honestly believe being in the SANFL gives us an advantage no other AFL team has because the SANFL is a better competition than any other outside the AFL,” he said. “If we are not in the SANFL, that $400,000 licence fee goes from the SANFL to a travel company taking us to another State league (like the VFL).”

Of the one-team model with no academy team or SANFL recruiting zone, Harper said: “We are not rethinking it. If we had less injuries, we would have better results. Our model is working quite well.”

No sh*t you want to keep the seconds in a top notch league. Why wouldn't you. However this isn't about your success, its about my f*cking clubs survival, and you Harper and your mediocre organisation need to remember that. Adelaide has had a solid gold 25 years with an adoring public gazing on, and the fully fledged backing of a platinum organisation in the SANFL. You knew you couldn't fail, and it made you lazy. The Adelaide football club is a lazy, bloated and spoilt club that deserves no more sacrifice from the SANFL clubs and its members.

For Harper and his cohorts to issue such a statement just reinforces that they don't get it. I cant believe I actually supported the pricks.

To be fair this describes every AFL club
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby therisingblues » Wed May 13, 2015 11:42 pm

spell_check wrote:Oh, and here's another thing, after that article was released I think is the best timing to say it:

Last year all we heard was crowds were up on 2013...over and over. Not one mention was made of the real poor weather in 2013 in comparison to the whole of 2014.

This year crowds are well down and it's due to the 'poor' weather.

I rest my case.

Last year's crowds also included the one off Walker comeback game, take that figure out and the average for the year is even worse.
In their defence, perhaps crows fans might suggest Walker become injured every third week? Then he'd get injured one week, recover the next and play SANFL every third week as a comeback game. If we could then have two other high profile crows playing comeback games from other minor injuries on alternate weeks we'd then stand some chance of bringing in, on average 4,000 crows fans to boost figures.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby wild dog » Thu May 14, 2015 12:36 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:To be fair this describes every AFL club

What does. The Crows and West Coast are similar in their inception. Thats about it.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Gozu » Thu May 14, 2015 1:11 am

Even though the Crows have been my AFL team since their inception I've been really disappointed in their public statements during this debate over the past couple of years.

The arrogance and condescension leaps off the page.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 14, 2015 1:22 am

Gozu wrote:Even though the Crows have been my AFL team since their inception I've been really disappointed in their public statements during this debate over the past couple of years.

The arrogance and condescension leaps off the page.

That's why I don't follow them anymore. Carlton was my side before the crows, and I identify a lot better with them now regardless of how crap they're playing.
SANFL's the real thing, where the heart lies anyway. AFL is just a spectacle, entertainment, and it's fun to have a side that I want to win each week. The only time I could give a damn about a team that is half my age was when they actually represented me. They've clearly stopped doing that and I just cannot like or even identify with the crows anymore.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu May 14, 2015 5:45 am

Pseudo wrote:
Fluffbag wrote:Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.

Clowns reserves make an even smaller number of people happy, given that two dozen people turn up to their matches - and you have the temerity to speak of benefit to a "wider football community"?

Sheesh...

Troll, don't rise to him
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu May 14, 2015 9:25 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:
wild dog wrote:As a number of us have said, its not only the numbers its the flat atmosphere at the games.

To be fair this describes every AFL club

It is also the type of attitude the league clubs have towards community clubs.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stan » Thu May 14, 2015 10:36 am

I like this post Wild Dog. Some good points here.

Massively agree with you here mate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Big Phil wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Just heard a bit on AA

Bickley is still convinced that it is good to have them and when they go all sponsors will as well

I stopped my sponsorship because of the AFL reserves.

You and your good mate UK Fan have something in common, then :)

And topsy's good mates Centurion and Royal City have also stopped due to AFL reserves.

I could name a few more CDFC sponsors who have gone elsewhere.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby LPH » Thu May 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Fair call Wild Dog - can't argue with those comments.
Their entire conglomerate entity has destroyed the very thing it was born from - shame :(
AFLSA beckons :evil:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby therisingblues » Thu May 14, 2015 12:56 pm

stan wrote:

I like this post Wild Dog. Some good points here.

Massively agree with you here mate.

Yes, it's a classic post. Well said with some very pertinent points.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Thu May 14, 2015 1:51 pm

Big Phil wrote:Interesting article from AdelaideNow...

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/afl/new ... 7353939560

New SANFL chief Jake Parkinson says State league is not suffering from Crows and Power reserves

SANFL boss Jake Parkinson is pointing to increased club membership figures — and not fallen crowd numbers — as reason to not rethink the presence of Crows and Power AFL reserves teams in the state league.

Central District, an SANFL powerhouse before the AFL reserves debate ended with the State league’s refit to a 10-team competition last season, has called for the Crows and Power sides to be axed. The Bulldogs want an uncompromised SANFL with no AFL content.

That call rests with the SA Football Commission that has given the Adelaide and Port Adelaide football clubs a 15-year commitment to have their reserves teams in the SANFL — but with a review of their terms each season.

“And we are not hitting any panic buttons now,” Parkinson said.

Central District has reiterated its wish for no AFL content in the state league with Bulldogs chief Kris Grant backing his case on falling SANFL crowd figures.

SANFL attendances have slipped to a game average of 2637, six per cent down from last year’s mark of 2819. The 2637 figure is one of the lowest since 1997 when the SANFL had to deal with Adelaide hosting AFL games each weekend with the advent of the Power as the state’s second AFL entry.

At Crows SANFL games, the crowd figure — that was expected to average at 4000 — has dropped 36 per cent to 2173. The Magpies’ figure is down 15 per cent to a 2740 average. But Parkinson disputes the image these numbers leave of fans turning their back on the SANFL. He has compared Central District figures in 2014 and this season across the same opponents.

“The difference on a like-for-like count is 100,” Parkinson said. “The crowd figures are down for the weather. The Port Adelaide-Norwood grand final rematch at Adelaide Oval was superbly promoted, particularly by Port Adelaide. Then it poured on the night — you can’t help that.

“Our other key indicators are up — membership is up three per cent. Media interest and website activity is up. This tells us there is a vibrant and successful SANFL. And we are working at making it stronger.”

Ok - So we get 1300 at Elizabeth but because website activity is up all is fine and dandy? :roll:

I'm surprised we are only 100 down "like for like" from last year. Would like to verify those figures.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 14, 2015 1:53 pm

The SANFL could rapidly become the Sheffield Shield. Everyone has an interest in a team, has an opinion and cheers from afar.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby UK Fan » Thu May 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Good to see its taken all of 14 months after its introduction before club(s) have asked for AFL presence in the league to be removed.

And the case for will only get stronger as time goes by.

Will be a lot easier to have the decision overruled with the presidents who agreed to this be voted out of their positions by their members.

A lot easier to say "the guy before me was wrong" as opposed to "I was wrong".

HINT HINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL