Where to from here ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Where to from here ?

Postby JK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:My mail is that Crows and Port will only be in the SANFL for one more season, so Rusty's question is a pretty good one. Gotta find a way to get the kids interested in SANFL clubs and supporting the competition.

Interesting.

Is this for a national reserves comp?

Apparently
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:33 pm

SANFL clubs need to reconnect with the local schools in their zone.

If the comp does go to an 8 team comp, it needs to revitalise the pre-seaon comps / double headers / reduce entry fees
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:38 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:SANFL clubs need to reconnect with the local schools in their zone.

If the comp does go to an 8 team comp, it needs to revitalise the pre-seaon comps / double headers / reduce entry fees

You mean like the visits they do now all through terms two and three?? - my kids can vouch for this over the last seven years.

Like the junior carnivals they run for schools - development squads they run from the various school leagues in their zones?

Wristwatcher may be able to elaborate more on what the SANFL clubs do in the schools within their zones.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:20 pm

areaman wrote:
RustyCage wrote:My question to people here is where are the next generation of supporters going to come from?

Working in schools with kids I can tell you that unless the kid has grown up with an SANFL team handed down from their parents, they don't know anything about and don't care anything about the SANFL. They couldn't tell you the name of two SANFL teams. Very different from when I was in primary school.

This was one of my main concerns two years ago when the proverbial hit the fan about this whole issue.

This exact point was made at the Eagles members forum - if kids have an AFL allegiance and that team has a presence in the SANFL then how on earth do you get them to follow/support a stand alone SANFL club?

The point was conceded but $50,000 other reasons was deemed adequate compensation.

Meanwhile I'm now quite enjoying golf on Saturday afternoons.

But it's not a case of following an AFL club in the SANFL instead of an SANFL club, they just don't care about the SANFL. In schools I've worked in apart from one or two kids here and there, the only SANFL club they know is the one their school falls in the zone of. A lot of work needs to be done on that because kids aren't going to follow a comp or teams they've hardly ever heard of.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby saintal » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm

RustyCage wrote:
areaman wrote:
RustyCage wrote:My question to people here is where are the next generation of supporters going to come from?

Working in schools with kids I can tell you that unless the kid has grown up with an SANFL team handed down from their parents, they don't know anything about and don't care anything about the SANFL. They couldn't tell you the name of two SANFL teams. Very different from when I was in primary school.

This was one of my main concerns two years ago when the proverbial hit the fan about this whole issue.

This exact point was made at the Eagles members forum - if kids have an AFL allegiance and that team has a presence in the SANFL then how on earth do you get them to follow/support a stand alone SANFL club?

The point was conceded but $50,000 other reasons was deemed adequate compensation.

Meanwhile I'm now quite enjoying golf on Saturday afternoons.

But it's not a case of following an AFL club in the SANFL instead of an SANFL club, they just don't care about the SANFL. In schools I've worked in apart from one or two kids here and there, the only SANFL club they know is the one their school falls in the zone of. A lot of work needs to be done on that because kids aren't going to follow a comp or teams they've hardly ever heard of.

My wife is also a teacher, and apart from the kids that may be involved in an SANFL club's junior program (or have been previously) there isn't much interest/knowledge of the league. She works in an area which South took over after the last reshuffle, and they have been out a few times to run clinics etc.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:51 pm

See its completely different in the northern suburbs, i have worked in community centres now for 12 years and nearly every kid i speak to has heard of Centrals, in most cases it the sheer fact of the parents not willing to take, not being able to afford that stops these kids from getting to the home games.
If you walk around the Elizabeth centre for anymore than 2 hours tomorrow and i will absolutely guarantee you will at least see 5-10 people wearing some sort of centrals merchandise.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dipper » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:47 pm

saintal wrote:She works in an area which South took over after the last reshuffle, and they have been out a few times to run clinics etc.

Wow, my son's school is 5 minutes from South's oval and in the 5 years he has attended there they have never run any clinics at the school!
dipper
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 pm

am Bays wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:SANFL clubs need to reconnect with the local schools in their zone.

You mean like the visits they do now all through terms two and three?? - my kids can vouch for this over the last seven years.

Like the junior carnivals they run for schools - development squads they run from the various school leagues in their zones?

Wristwatcher may be able to elaborate more on what the SANFL clubs do in the schools within their zones.

I am glad your kids get that experience but there are many others who dont.....but hey what would I know????
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby on the rails » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:53 pm

The SANFL CEO'S want Port to have same model etc. as the Crows and will serve notice on them ASAP at end of season. This will result in Port having to agree to only having the one side within 12 months - they get a year to implement changes. However Port have stated they will refuse this directive which will result in them leaving the SANFL or getting booted out. This will be an interesting development come seasons end. How strong will the SANFL and the League Directors be in handling this issue - I suspect they will cave in and allow Port to have their own selfish demands?

The other worry is the AFL (urged by the clubs) want to form Academy type / under 18 sides at each club and eventually (not sure of their time frames) use that as basis for National Reserves comp. If this happens re forming Academy sides, the AFL in the interim want them to play in State based comps. So as well as having Senior Reserves sides as we now have in our main comp the AFL clubs will rape and pillage the best juniors from the U18's and 16 's and have them play in the SANFL against their own home clubs who will be left with players not good enough to be on an Academy list. Can you imagine what sort of comp it would be with the best juniors playing for either Crows or Power in our U18's comp - They will dominate!

Very worrying times ahead for a comp already struggling re crowds and interest and let's face it - the AFL and the 2 clubs here don't give a shit about our comp and the 8 real SANFL Clubs and I suspect there are a few in positions of power at the SANFL don't care either.

This is the price we are paying for those 6 clubs who voted yes - there was only going to be one winner and that will be the AFL. The SANFL is dying slowly and it doesn't look like there is any hope (or plan) to try and save it IMHO.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby prowling panther » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:07 pm

From what I know on the subject, all SANFL clubs visit schools in their area, as I am led to believe all SANFL clubs have a Schools Co-ordinator (not sure of his exact title) that visit both Primary and Senior schools for coaching clinics and spreading the SANFL word, I am also led to believe they are paid for by the SANFL (happy for anyone to correct me on that).

Agree that the Centrals brand is well known in the Salisbury, Elizabeth, Gawler, right through the Barossa area, after winning so many premierships and being the team that got the most media coverage in that time, they deserve to be known and well done to them.

The recovery session shown by the SANFL Marketing on You Tube each week does give a brief run down to the last weekends matches, however if the SANFL want to capture the kids via this media they need to spend a few Dollars on better equipment and more training for the camera operators as it is a bit amateurish at times. Today's kids expect better and that is where the investment money will be rewarded.

One thing i do object to is both AFL clubs getting television coverage in the SANFL matches, then again Ch7 do hold all the Aces on that deal.

I am leaning towards moving both the AFL teams from the SANFL to a national reserves competition, the AFL can afford to run one, it shouldn't be that hard for interstate clubs to devise how to get the number of players required to field teams, the Victorian clubs already know how to do it as they have it in place now. My greatest concern would be, how much would it hurt the SANFL in publicity of not having both AFL teams playing in our competition, as it stands now our finals series has lost a lot of credibility by having those two teams competing for a premiership.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:23 pm

Mods these are valuable pages that could be contributing to the NO AFL IN THE SANFL thread, merge???
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby wild dog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:30 am

prowling panther wrote:From what I know on the subject, all SANFL clubs visit schools in their area, as I am led to believe all SANFL clubs have a Schools Co-ordinator (not sure of his exact title) that visit both Primary and Senior schools for coaching clinics and spreading the SANFL word, I am also led to believe they are paid for by the SANFL (happy for anyone to correct me on that).

Agree that the Centrals brand is well known in the Salisbury, Elizabeth, Gawler, right through the Barossa area, after winning so many premierships and being the team that got the most media coverage in that time, they deserve to be known and well done to them.

I am in Sturts zone and so far this year there have been Crows and Port visits, and the Crows Auskick clinic at the Unley Jets oval. No Sturt. Last year we were in the north eastern suburbs and the school had a combined North Adelaide / Crows visit. Since the zone reallocation that school is now in Centrals zone and Im not sure what has gone on. All I know is when there is a visit, the kids talk about it, whether it was North, Port or the Crows.

Yes Centrals has real recognition in the Northern Suburbs, it is great to see the support but its not translating to numbers at the game
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 am

whufc wrote:See its completely different in the northern suburbs, i have worked in community centres now for 12 years and nearly every kid i speak to has heard of Centrals, in most cases it the sheer fact of the parents not willing to take, not being able to afford that stops these kids from getting to the home games.
If you walk around the Elizabeth centre for anymore than 2 hours tomorrow and i will absolutely guarantee you will at least see 5-10 people wearing some sort of centrals merchandise.

Wouldn't hurt that for many of the last 15 years that Dad and or Mum or both have been coming home once a year full of Woodstock celebrating another Doggies premiership.

"What shall we get Dad for Xmas?", "I know, the GF DVD".....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Pag » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:See its completely different in the northern suburbs, i have worked in community centres now for 12 years and nearly every kid i speak to has heard of Centrals, in most cases it the sheer fact of the parents not willing to take, not being able to afford that stops these kids from getting to the home games.

Wouldn't hurt that for many of the last 15 years that Dad and or Mum or both have been coming home once a year full of Woodstock celebrating another Doggies premiership.

I'm sure Centrals domination during the last decade hasn't hurt their footprint in the north, however they were firmly visible prior to the golden generation.

I was a young kid in the north the 90s, prior to the domination, and Centrals were just as big a deal as the Crows at that time. The red, blue and white was painted in the middle of the Holden roundabout, Elizabeth Oval was always visible next to the AquaDome, and we kicked Centrals footys at school.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Pag wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm sure Centrals domination during the last decade hasn't hurt their footprint in the north, however they were firmly visible prior to the golden generation.

I was a young kid in the north the 90s, prior to the domination, and Centrals were just as big a deal as the Crows at that time. The red, blue and white was painted in the middle of the Holden roundabout, Elizabeth Oval was always visible next to the AquaDome, and we kicked Centrals footys at school.

Agree!!!

Funnily enough though it felt like through the nineties and early 2000's every second player was a teacher at a local school (Paul Thomas, Josh Coulter, Nathan Steinberner, Daniel Healy, Justin Casserly, Matthew Slade, Matthew Kreig, Richard Cochrane Jnr and Snr) No doubt that had a huge impact on the children who felt like they were part of the team because they 'knew' a player.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Most probably try connecting to schools although South have been renowned for not doing this . Clubs have limited resources .

Definitely reduce to $10 entrance , that should start next year .

Double Headers where ? Leave that old idea alone.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:18 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:

Most probably try connecting to schools although South have been renowned for not doing this . Clubs have limited resources .

If the admission fee is reduced then clubs will have to reduce the cost of memberships.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Why ? The percentage increase over the last few years to compensate for a poor child , didn't equal club membership increases. ? Didn't we have a round where the entrance fee was $10 ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Pag » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:26 pm

whufc wrote:
Pag wrote:
Booney wrote:

I was a young kid in the north the 90s, prior to the domination, and Centrals were just as big a deal as the Crows at that time. The red, blue and white was painted in the middle of the Holden roundabout, Elizabeth Oval was always visible next to the AquaDome when you went to the pool on a Saturday in summer or for school swimming, and we kicked Centrals footys at school.

Agree!!!

Funnily enough though it felt like through the nineties and early 2000's every second player was a teacher at a local school (Paul Thomas, Josh Coulter, Nathan Steinberner, Daniel Healy, Justin Casserly, Matthew Slade, Matthew Kreig, Richard Cochrane Jnr and Snr) No doubt that had a huge impact on the children who felt like they were part of the team because they 'knew' a player.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:

Clubs have limited resources but then you want to reduce their gate takings? $10 seems the ideal amount no argument there, but if the crowds don't start flocking then the clubs are hit even more financially.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL