Elim. Final - Norwood v Central @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Elim. Final - Norwood v Central @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:09 pm

CENTURION wrote:Well done Central against probably the 8th best side in the competition, saw this coming weeks ago.
We still need a big forward & a decent ruckman though.

Well done o Roman. Now do us a favour and drop this chump.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Suffer in your jocks sell outs.

Easy Easy Easy
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Grahaml » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Was a very hard and tough early with both sides putting on some good pressure, although neither side could hold their heads high regarding skill and clean ball handling. Thought Norwood had the early ascendency but couldn't find a way to hurt us on the scoreboard. In the first 5 minutes Stephenson looked all at sea against Newton but somehow we held out.

Second quarter I felt like the dogs lifted their intensity further. Paul Thomas laid a series of tough tackles that stopped an opponent dead in his tracks and that seemed to lift his young team mates. This began to really push Norwood onto the backfoot while either our mids got some better hands aronud the contest or Norwood started to drop off in their intensity. Probably a bit of both really. But at half time a narrow lead felt like we were starting to wrest some control over the contest.

Third quarter was excellent. Felt like for the first time in the whole game we got some good clean ball through the middle. The run started to kick in and our small forward line looked lively. Norwood really got starved of good chances through pressure and tackling and a few times it looked like we'd pull out to a strong lead. Still, at the final break Norwood weren't put away.

The last was just a clinic. Norwood looked diabolical. Even when under no pressure they coughed it up. With free team mates to link up to they stopped. And they suddenly had virtually no endeavour in their defense. Up to then, you'd be forgiven for saying Norwood just lacked class but when the season is on the line, to fail the effort test is embarassing. That's not how a side that's won 3 in a row should end their run.

Well done to Norwood for the last 3 years. Winning any flag isn't something to be taken lightly and 3 in a row is a rare accomplishment. I think given the dominance of 2 clubs since 2000 it's easy to forget that. But serious questions need to be asked of Warren. The plan was poor. They seemed to try a game plan they simply weren't capable of carrying out while against a dogs side always likely to be small up forward they went with a rather tall defense and oddly, conceded a lot of balls over the back. The decision to seemingly let the dogs best midfielder rack up 37 touches took its toll. Schiller must have thought it was christmas the number of times nobody picked him up at the stoppages. A few older heads will leave Norwood and it seems a full rebuild is imminent.

Thought generally the umpiring was good, but there were a couple of baffling decisions. I get the idea of letting it go and for the most part the umps erred on that side. But some really obvious frees were waved on. We have rules in the game for a reason, feel free to enforce them the whole game.

And finally, whether Thommo goes on or not remains to be seen. I'd love to see him notch 300 games, which is 2 more years. Reckon he has the ability but it must be taxing to play the way he does. But the more it seems to be a feeder comp for kids, the less we're going to see stalwarts. If he doesn't get to 300, not sure how many years it'll before the next one. But good to see he's still putting some shocking shots for goal in. Of his league goals, I swear most were passes.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:07 am

Grahaml wrote:Was a very hard and tough early with both sides putting on some good pressure, although neither side could hold their heads high regarding skill and clean ball handling. Thought Norwood had the early ascendency but couldn't find a way to hurt us on the scoreboard. In the first 5 minutes Stephenson looked all at sea against Newton but somehow we held out.

Second quarter I felt like the dogs lifted their intensity further. Paul Thomas laid a series of tough tackles that stopped an opponent dead in his tracks and that seemed to lift his young team mates. This began to really push Norwood onto the backfoot while either our mids got some better hands aronud the contest or Norwood started to drop off in their intensity. Probably a bit of both really. But at half time a narrow lead felt like we were starting to wrest some control over the contest.

Third quarter was excellent. Felt like for the first time in the whole game we got some good clean ball through the middle. The run started to kick in and our small forward line looked lively. Norwood really got starved of good chances through pressure and tackling and a few times it looked like we'd pull out to a strong lead. Still, at the final break Norwood weren't put away.

The last was just a clinic. Norwood looked diabolical. Even when under no pressure they coughed it up. With free team mates to link up to they stopped. And they suddenly had virtually no endeavour in their defense. Up to then, you'd be forgiven for saying Norwood just lacked class but when the season is on the line, to fail the effort test is embarassing. That's not how a side that's won 3 in a row should end their run.

Well done to Norwood for the last 3 years. Winning any flag isn't something to be taken lightly and 3 in a row is a rare accomplishment. I think given the dominance of 2 clubs since 2000 it's easy to forget that. But serious questions need to be asked of Warren. The plan was poor. They seemed to try a game plan they simply weren't capable of carrying out while against a dogs side always likely to be small up forward they went with a rather tall defense and oddly, conceded a lot of balls over the back. The decision to seemingly let the dogs best midfielder rack up 37 touches took its toll. Schiller must have thought it was christmas the number of times nobody picked him up at the stoppages. A few older heads will leave Norwood and it seems a full rebuild is imminent.

Thought generally the umpiring was good, but there were a couple of baffling decisions. I get the idea of letting it go and for the most part the umps erred on that side. But some really obvious frees were waved on. We have rules in the game for a reason, feel free to enforce them the whole game.

And finally, whether Thommo goes on or not remains to be seen. I'd love to see him notch 300 games, which is 2 more years. Reckon he has the ability but it must be taxing to play the way he does. But the more it seems to be a feeder comp for kids, the less we're going to see stalwarts. If he doesn't get to 300, not sure how many years it'll before the next one. But good to see he's still putting some shocking shots for goal in. Of his league goals, I swear most were passes.

Fair summary. I think even most one eyed Norwood supporters knew how it would end today, its been coming for weeks. Limped into finals on the back of two terrible months of football and on current form were the worst side in the 5. Thankfully the pain was numbed slightly by my crownbet account gaining a decent top up thanks to the $2.55 the Dogs were on offer at.
Hopefully you can send the professionals packing in straight sets next week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Douglas Mawson » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:09 am

Well thank God for a Fathers Day din dins tonight which at least helped soften that butt hurt. Good job doggies - played like you were the seasoned finals campaigners. I thought our structure and pressure on the ball carrier might get us through one more final after the improved effort v the Hybrids last week but not to be - so cheers boys for a great run till today. And to the typically fickle Nwd supporters who love filling these forums with their keyboard invective - this shite game plan and boring style got you 5 final series, 4 grand finals, and 3 premierships. If you can find an ammo club that matches that then perhaps you're right - and you should leave SANFL until Nwd come good again. I think there will be a lot of personel changes over summer at Nwd. See you all next year - and in the meantime "Go Bloods"!
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby SimonH » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:19 am

Grahaml wrote:... A few older heads will leave Norwood and it seems a full rebuild is imminent.
Good game summary. But I doubt that the second part of the statement is true. And the first half is also a bit dubious unless you meant 'older than 21'. I'd guess that Norwood will start 2016 with about the average SANFL off-season turnover of players.

It's not that 30yo+ players will be put out to pasture in the off-season... because we don't have any (any more, with 30yo Jimmy Allan of course not playing the EF, and presumably already being gone). For better or worse, the Norwood side that played today was not an old side. The next-oldest in the Norwood squad after Allan are 28yo Phillips and Newton (one played today, one pulled out injured late) and even the most critical Norwood supporters aren't suggesting they hang up the boots.

If Norwood turns over premiership players, it'll simply be because some of them went backwards in form in 2015 and to freshen up the squad, not 'cos they're too long in the tooth. Just 9 players from the 2012 flag played today—and the various comps around Australia make player movement so common nowadays, that 2 of them (Georgiou, Suckling) have had time to leave the club and come back again!

The real issue is that the coaches stuck with the 2012-14 gameplan and structures one year too long, and weren't able to find another gear in the middle-latter part of the year when it was apparent the rest of the comp had gone past us. I doubt whether mass sackings are either called for, or would fix that problem.

I don't often barrack for Centrals, but would love to see them make mincemeat of the Pahhhhhr 2nds next weekend.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:25 am

Well, I enjoyed it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby words of wisdom » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:50 am

Grahaml wrote:Was a very hard and tough early with both sides putting on some good pressure, although neither side could hold their heads high regarding skill and clean ball handling. Thought Norwood had the early ascendency but couldn't find a way to hurt us on the scoreboard. In the first 5 minutes Stephenson looked all at sea against Newton but somehow we held out.

The same plan the won them 3 flags in a row?? With the recruits coming into their side next year, I'm sure they'll be fine.
words of wisdom
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Burr

Postby Grahaml » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:22 am

I don't mean blokes who necessarily will retire from footy but when you're winning blokes stick around. Now that the era seems over I think it's going to get far more tempting for blokes to step away. Might not happen, but it's a natural thing. Which then usually triggers a need to rebuild. Doesn't mean all 21 will need to move on, but how many blokes from Sunday will be a part of the next Norwood premiership threat? If it's 15 then you're not too badly placed. If it's more like 10 then that's half a side to recruit, develop and get to fit together under a workable game plan. And while on game plan, maybe it was exactly the same plan used from 2012-14. I don't think it was quite the same but regardless, what Norwood were trying to do doesn't work for the blokes that were out there. I'd have thought it fairly important to make sure that whatever game plan you have, the blokes on the field are capable of carrying it out. I know some aspects of Centrals game plan didn't alter at all from 2000 to 2010 but it was constantly evolving to suit the blokes we had. Maybe Warren was trying to stick to what Bassett started for as long as it worked but I think he erred. Either way, I still say questions need to be asked. Doesn't mean a new coach, just means figuring out how to improve to get back to the top.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:34 am

Grahaml wrote:And while on game plan, maybe it was exactly the same plan used from 2012-14. I don't think it was quite the same but regardless, what Norwood were trying to do doesn't work for the blokes that were out there. I'd have thought it fairly important to make sure that whatever game plan you have, the blokes on the field are capable of carrying it out.

Bang on the money
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pag » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:40 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Well, I enjoyed it.

I saw a bit of your dancing pre-game mate, looked the goods.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:44 am

All style.
A few shots of 100 yo JD had us feeling all warm inside, that's my excuse ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:48 pm

A review will be underway at Norwood you would think. Someone needs to catch this falling ball.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:A review will be underway at Norwood you would think. Someone needs to catch this falling ball.

Nothing gets past you
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Or the obvious.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby wild dog » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:34 pm

First half of the game was a street fight, with a massive amount of tackles laid from both sides. In the second half, it looked as though Norwood ran out of Legs, and Centrals run and confidence lifted. We broke Norwoods zone time and time again, and finally started to nail the goals. You could see in the first half how Norwood would control the press, and then kick over the top and scored. Its been so frustrating watching this happen to Centrals over the last 2 to 3 years. All that hard work pushing forward being blown in 30 seconds of football. However we have learnt. Centrals plan was to get fitter and tackle and tackle until they were down, and it worked. It worked at the Parade earlier in the year, and on Sunday. Roy is getting the guys to understand how to break the Bassett and Collins game plan down. We have to continue to work on the teams that don't play the hard defensive press as their plan A and B though. It would be good if we can go on in this final series, but if not watch out next year.

Losing Phillips just before the game and Baulderstone no doubt would have hurt the Legs. We have had our best ball user in Jansen out for a few weeks and key forward Retzlaff out intermittently for the last 6 weeks or so. We have been able to set up a game without them. IMO the biggest out for us was 18 yo Milera who went out with a medical condition but hopefully will be back against Port. He has speed, composure and skills, and as we saw is capable of kicking a bag. A pity he did not get to play in his first final, as he is a confidence player and was in rare form. Hope he can put the little scare behind him, and nail it this weekend.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Interestingly, we only have a handful more tackles than Norwood.
What I noticed wasn't the number of tackles that hit Norwood, it was that there was a wave of tackles after the first one was laid.
Norwood didn't have that discipline, nor desire, to do that.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Interestingly, we only have a handful more tackles than Norwood.
What I noticed wasn't the number of tackles that hit Norwood, it was that there was a wave of tackles after the first one was laid.
Norwood didn't have that discipline, nor desire, to do that.

Agree

I said to a few people around us at quarter time that if we continued to tackle like we did in the first quarter we would be fine and would wear Norwood down

If the tackling intensity dropped we were in big trouble, lucky it didn't
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Postby Fester » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Seriously, I don't accept mediocrity. But I don't come on here "naming and shaming" players and coaches who put in many, many more hours than us supporters realise, risking injury to represent us in our beloved guernsey at our beloved club.

For **** all renumeration!!

Winning three successive Premierships is not mediocrity.
Unless you're over 90 years old you've never seen it before!!

Was I happy with yesterday - no!!
Was I embarrassed - NEVER!!
Was I happy with selection - no!!
Did I support the players selected - Always!!
Do I think the game plan needs tweaking - certainly!!

And yes I support with blind faith!!

But you moaning **** who only seem happy when you've got something to moan about can go suck a fat one!!

When we win the Premiership next year you'll be the first in line to back slap and walk the streets in your new tshirt telling everyone how good we are!!!

You're all a bunch of pi$$ weak sooks and you can all get stuffed!!!

Comedy GOLD!!!!! : :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:35 pm

UK Fan wrote:Postby Fester » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Seriously, I don't accept mediocrity. But I don't come on here "naming and shaming" players and coaches who put in many, many more hours than us supporters realise, risking injury to represent us in our beloved guernsey at our beloved club.

For **** all renumeration!!

Winning three successive Premierships is not mediocrity.
Unless you're over 90 years old you've never seen it before!!

Was I happy with yesterday - no!!
Was I embarrassed - NEVER!!
Was I happy with selection - no!!
Did I support the players selected - Always!!
Do I think the game plan needs tweaking - certainly!!

And yes I support with blind faith!!

But you moaning **** who only seem happy when you've got something to moan about can go suck a fat one!!

When we win the Premiership next year you'll be the first in line to back slap and walk the streets in your new tshirt telling everyone how good we are!!!

You're all a bunch of pi$$ weak sooks and you can all get stuffed!!!

Comedy GOLD!!!!! : :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D>

But it was in the bag!!! Love a good SUPER FAN!!!

Where is Fester these days, he was always good entertainment.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL