Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:29 am

The Links Hotel - Tapleys Hill Road, Seaton. "The House of Schnitzel"

Walk in with Junior Boon and instead of taking a seat straight away we join the line up to order meals, figuring we'll select a feed while we queue.

Well, about 5 minutes into the wait I send Jnr. to get 2 pints. During the next 5 minutes I watch an unshaven, miserable bastard behind the counter bumble his way through about 4 orders, bark instructions at a young lad behind the bar about "TELL the kitchen that they are NOT TO MAKE it".

Not sure what "it" was, but clearly it wasn't meant to be made. Still doing an order of meals, the people order 5 different drinks,now because he sent the lad to the kitchen he leaves the meal ordering post and heads of to make 5 drinks. Waiting....waiting.......

Lad comes back with "I think they've made it"....unshaven twat dumps the drinks, drops one all over the lad, tells the lad to make another lemon, lime and bitters and he goes off to the kitchen to give them a blast, presumably. The lad now bumbles his way through the touch screen orders of the people in front of me. Hooray...!!! 12 minutes in the line and we order. They had one bloke doing meal orders and one bloke doing drinks ( for meals area, pokie room and lounge bar ) at 7pm on a Thursday. Not good managing.

Schnitzels come in 3 sizes at the "House of Schnitzel", Mini, Midi and Mega. We both go the Midi Chicken with "Godfather" topping. Nap Sauce, Bacon, Salami, Chorizo, Baby Spinach and cheese. There are 3 size schnitzels with 30, yes, 30 different toppings on offer. Thursdays also have 2 Pami's and a jug for $25, but we couldn't get the Godfather on that deal.

With an ample salad and veggie bar ( to which I always head to the roast veggies ) was all sound. Jnr went the salad side, highly rated the coleslaw and potato salad, I highly rated the cauli/broci cheese and the roast pumpkin and carrots in a bit of honey drizzle. Noice.

The chicken schnitty's were good sized ( about 15cmØ ) and thick, a good 2-2.5cm thick with heaps of topping. Glad we didn't go the "Mega" sized. The Chorizo and Salami on top made it a little bitey, not too much, but nice. Could certainly recommend the topping. When the meals came out the lass brought out two warm small dinner rolls to go with the meals.

At $19.90 each for the schnitty and $7 each for an Imperial Pint of Super Dry it came to $53.80. Handed over $60, took the $6 and turned them into coins and took $70 out of the Dolphin Treasure while waiting for the meals, Jnr spinning up games on 20 lines * 2 credits and gets 5 Star fish with Sunset substitute. Good lad.

Other than the grumpy bum behind the counters complete lack of service skills the meal was really quite nice. The Links is still in the 1990's decor wise in the dining room, more like the 1980's in the front bar.

Over all it's a 6.5/10 for this visit, the meal commanded an 8 or more but the whole package last night left me thinking about a return real soon. Hopefully the next person from here to visit gets better staff on display.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7522 times
Been liked: 10826 times

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Booney wrote:The Links Hotel - Tapleys Hill Road, Seaton. "The House of Schnitzel"

Walk in with Junior Boon and instead of taking a seat straight away we join the line up to order meals, figuring we'll select a feed while we queue.

Well, about 5 minutes into the wait I send Jnr. to get 2 pints. During the next 5 minutes I watch an unshaven, miserable bastard behind the counter bumble his way through about 4 orders, bark instructions at a young lad behind the bar about "TELL the kitchen that they are NOT TO MAKE it".

Not sure what "it" was, but clearly it wasn't meant to be made. Still doing an order of meals, the people order 5 different drinks,now because he sent the lad to the kitchen he leaves the meal ordering post and heads of to make 5 drinks. Waiting....waiting.......

Lad comes back with "I think they've made it"....unshaven twat dumps the drinks, drops one all over the lad, tells the lad to make another lemon, lime and bitters and he goes off to the kitchen to give them a blast, presumably. The lad now bumbles his way through the touch screen orders of the people in front of me. Hooray...!!! 12 minutes in the line and we order. They had one bloke doing meal orders and one bloke doing drinks ( for meals area, pokie room and lounge bar ) at 7pm on a Thursday. Not good managing.

Schnitzels come in 3 sizes at the "House of Schnitzel", Mini, Midi and Mega. We both go the Midi Chicken with "Godfather" topping. Nap Sauce, Bacon, Salami, Chorizo, Baby Spinach and cheese. There are 3 size schnitzels with 30, yes, 30 different toppings on offer. Thursdays also have 2 Pami's and a jug for $25, but we couldn't get the Godfather on that deal.

With an ample salad and veggie bar ( to which I always head to the roast veggies ) was all sound. Jnr went the salad side, highly rated the coleslaw and potato salad, I highly rated the cauli/broci cheese and the roast pumpkin and carrots in a bit of honey drizzle. Noice.

The chicken schnitty's were good sized ( about 15cmØ ) and thick, a good 2-2.5cm thick with heaps of topping. Glad we didn't go the "Mega" sized. The Chorizo and Salami on top made it a little bitey, not too much, but nice. Could certainly recommend the topping. When the meals came out the lass brought out two warm small dinner rolls to go with the meals.

At $19.90 each for the schnitty and $7 each for an Imperial Pint of Super Dry it came to $53.80. Handed over $60, took the $6 and turned them into coins and took $70 out of the Dolphin Treasure while waiting for the meals, Jnr spinning up games on 20 lines * 2 credits and gets 5 Star fish with Sunset substitute. Good lad.

Other than the grumpy bum behind the counters complete lack of service skills the meal was really quite nice. The Links is still in the 1990's decor wise in the dining room, more like the 1980's in the front bar.

Over all it's a 6.5/10 for this visit, the meal commanded an 8 or more but the whole package last night left me thinking about a return real soon. Hopefully the next person from here to visit gets better staff on display.

Had a similar experience on a Saturday afternoon there service wise but $2.50 schooners cancelled it out.
Also, wouldn't give me Imperial pints for $5 instead of 2 schooners. Ludicrous!
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:13 pm

Lunch at the Grange Hotel today, just front bar menu.

Ordered the Jamaican Jerk Burger (seemed appropriate) .. Was a fair unit, too much for this black duck .. Roll/Bun was toasted perfectly, chicken seemed Cajun spiced to perfection, Slaw was on point, Tomato Relish the ideal finIshing touch. Oh and the Steakhouse chips were brilliant too. Can't recall too many feeds there that haven't been excellent. $16.90 for the meal seemed well reasonable given it was more than I could eat. Highly recommend!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:41 pm

Finally made it to 127 Days the other day, and have to say it was definitely worth the hype.

Had the bad mutha tucker, which was awesome.

Plenty has been said about this place so i wont bother with a long review, but highly recommend. 9/10
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby am Bays » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:04 am

"Darling it hurts to see you down Darlinghurst tonight" sang Paul Kelly once but the little Italian pearl we found down Darlinghurst in our little sojourn to Sydney last week means the "13 hours from St Kilda to Kings Cross" is worth it.

if you are going to Sydney soon, put this on your list, Travota, 72 Stanley St Darlinghurst (less than a five min walk from Hyde Park)

We were put in the hands of my sister and her husband who when they visit Sydney from Newcastle always go there we are glad we did to when we met up with them last week.

It looks simple and nothing special but once you order and receive your food it is ALLL GGGOOOOODDDDD.

Junior am bays and I had Pizzas, me supreme and him Hawaiian. Wood fired nice light dough with flavoursome toppings just enough cheese to make this sensational. Best Pizza I've had for a long long while.

My missus is fussy (aren't they all hard to please???) She had the prawn risotto with garlic and chili and is still raving about it. If she finishes her plate you know it is good. Little miss am bays had the Penne Boscaiola, she cleaned her plate up too (she takes after her old man and is good on the fang).

All up for four including: a bottle of sparkling water, two soft drinks, two wines, two beers and all four mains $140.

A word of warning though, if you're vertically challenged the male toilet for #1s may be a challenge for you, at 181 cm I still had to do a slight calf raise to make sure it went where it was supposed too!!

9.5/10 from me for Travota, we'll be back
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Postby Q. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:47 pm

Chuck Wagon has opened on The Parade. This is gonna get dangerous for my waistline.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Brodlach » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:26 pm

Q. wrote:Chuck Wagon has opened on The Parade. This is gonna get dangerous for my waistline.

Where on the Parade?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Q. » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Just west of Argo.
Q.
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:34 pm

Q. wrote:Chuck Wagon has opened on The Parade. This is gonna get dangerous for my waistline.

Our office on Friday was discussing when we were going all for lunch......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby JK » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:40 pm

am Bays wrote:prawn risotto with garlic and chili

That sounds freakin awesome!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Booney wrote:The Links Hotel - Tapleys Hill Road, Seaton. "The House of Schnitzel"

Excellent revue...unless Junior Boon is under 18 in which case it becomes a very troubling revue :o
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:33 pm

No need to worry WW down in the wild western suburbs that's all acceptable behavior
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11924 times
Been liked: 3634 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Copenhagen Icecreamery, Jetty Road Brighton.

Icecream: excellent.
Hot donuts: standard.
Coffee: better than average.

The length of the shorts on the waitress: Significantly less than enough to adequately cover her bum cheeks.

Reckon I'll be going back next weekend...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Q. » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Chuck Wagon at Norwood let me down big time tonight. Will post more detail tomorrow.
Q.
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Q. wrote:Chuck Wagon at Norwood let me down big time tonight. Will post more detail tomorrow.

Dominos let me down tonight 5/10. I will not post more detail tomorrow :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 851 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:25 am

wristwatcher wrote:

Excellent revue...unless Junior Boon is under 18 in which case it becomes a very troubling revue :o

Junior is 19. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:43 am

The Kent Town Hotel

Went there Saturday night for dinner. Steak was cold and chewy. Fries were shoe string and soggy. Sauce was like water.

Kitchen was closed at 9pm when we tried to get the kids some ice cream for desert.

I think they are putting too much emphasis on all the crap around the joint rather than the food.

5/10
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:49 am

Little Miss Boon turned 15 on Saturday so we went to the Grange Jetty Cafe for dinner. 6:30 booking, perfect night ( inside anyway, was chilly outside ) and got to watch a perfect sunset over dinner.

We started with some bruschetta which came in two styles. Romana which was standard bruschetta but nice (2 pieces toasted wood oven bread, topped with fresh tomato, basil pesto and bocconcini. $13 ) while the Grange ( 2 pieces toasted wood oven bread, topped with fresh tomato, salami, olives, sundried tomatoes, basil pesto and bocconcini. - $15 ) was just awesome. I love olives, salami, sun dried tomato and this was outstanding. Not soggy, chef must have put the toppings on just before they came out. We went an 9" Garlic Pizza bread for the younger less savory members. $9

3 of us went for the Fritto Misto ( assortment of crumbed prawns, calamari and fish, served with chips, salad and tartar sauce -$23 ) which was excellent. The prawns had been "butterflied" open to give them more coating, the calamari and fish both had some S&P in the batter, really was nice. The chips were good without being brilliant. One big piece of fish, 6 prawns, 6 calamari rings and a good sized bowl of greek salad with olives and fetta.

Mrs Boon went Con Pollo ( Chicken, pumpkin, sundried tomato, capsicum, spinach, red onion, garlic, in a creamy parmesan sauce.-$21 ) with fettucini. She was stoked, she went the entree size and it was ample.

Little Miss Boon and my Mum went a foccacia ( Roast Chicken - roasted chicken, lettuce, avocado, cheese and mayonnaise - $16 ) and they added chips on her plate, didn't need it as the foccacia was loaded to the hilt.

Little Miss Boons "boyfriend" went with Marinara ( an assortment of fresh seafood, garlic, white wine and fresh tomato in a napolitana sauce.- $21 ) which had 5 nice big mussels, 3 nice big pieces of fish and 4 calamari rings. Good going and a huge serve as a main.

I had a pale, the Mrs a wine ( or two ? ) and about 8 glasses of coke, came to just over $220 for the 7 of us and we all were stuffed full.

A couple of draw backs, no table service, you have to line up and order ( meals and drinks ) so whilst it was busy we waited in line for nearly 10 minutes to order, but the food came out pretty quickly and was well spaced. ( Entree took about 15 minutes and mains came about 20 minutes after entrees, all together, all hot ).

The only other draw back was the air con. It was freezing in there. Poorly sized air diffusion equipment meant the air speeds in the occupied zone were over 0.25m/s, thus creating a low ADPI and overall poor thermal comfort. :-B

So while not a cheap "cafe" it is in a prime location and if some of the $200+ was to cover the sunset, I'd happily pay it again.

Food - 9/10
Location 10/10

Can recommend. We braved a walk down the jetty in shorts, t-shirts and thongs with a solid South Westerly making it about 12° by the time we got out to the end.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:23 am

Q. wrote:Chuck Wagon at Norwood let me down big time tonight. Will post more detail tomorrow.

Righto. First off the sides were decent. Boneless chicken wings were tasty and tender, and the smokey mac & cheese was on point.

Unlike the North Adelaide Chuck though, Norwood Chuck doesn't have bottomless softies. Minus one point.

The wife had The Green Machine burger. Stale bun, overcooked and dry patty, skimped on the avo, and couldn't taste the house mayo whatsoever. Completely without flavour. It was worse than a HJs bacon deluxe you left on the kitchen bench overnight.

My mate had the Dirty Reuben Sandwich and I had the Chuck Stuffed Sandwich. Both buns appeared stale as well. Both buns have the pastrami in them. Now, I've had the Dirty Reuben at North Adelaide Chuck and it was 10/10, with thinly sliced and layered pastrami throughout and thus packed with meaty surface area and full of flavour. Last night our two came buns with 3 x 1cm hunks of dry pastrami (not pastrami FFS) that were ******* difficult to chew through. Not sure whether the chef got lazy and couldn't be bothered fine slicing and layering or maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing. Either way, the sandwiches were ruined.

5/10, saved by the sides.

(Am going to write them a PM on facebook. Somebody needs to fix that shit)

Went and got Ben & Jerry's after, they have a couple of new flavours, Cone Sweet Cone and Salted Caramel Blondie. Amazing!
Q.
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:08 am

That's a generous 5/10
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11924 times
Been liked: 3634 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion