PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby toot toot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 am

Psyber wrote:I've been to the Edinburgh in Mitcham a few times with a group.
I have not had one decent meal there and there is a tendency to under-cook poultry.

I've declared I'm never going there again.

Interesting, I've eaten there 4 times in the last month and have had a good meal each time. Although have stuck to the pub classics.

Big Shed Brewery - Loved this place, all the beers were awesome. Only down side was they didn't have all beers available in bottles to take home.
toot toot
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:04 am

toot toot wrote:
I have not had one decent meal there and there is a tendency to under-cook poultry.

Interesting, I've eaten there 4 times in the last month and have had a good meal each time. Although have stuck to the pub classics.

Big Shed Brewery - Loved this place, all the beers were awesome. Only down side was they didn't have all beers available in bottles to take home.

Great little joint, isn't it?

It can be a draw back, the popularity of the place and the beers ( now on tap around Adelaide and Sydney ) means they often don't have the capacity to produce enough beer to have bottled stock in place. The kegs are always on and going, but bottled brews sort of come and go in batches.

What was the pick for you mate?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby toot toot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:10 am

I thought that might have been the case. Seems plenty of people are happy to rock in there and just have a pint or two.

The F-Yeah & Sessions for me. Missus was very happy with the cherry popper.
toot toot
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby JK » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 am

That F-Yeah is right up there with my favourite beer of all time
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:34 am

JK wrote:That F-Yeah is right up there with my favourite beer of all time

Yep, it's gold. The Frankenbrown is a bit too bitter for my liking. One thing ( and hey, they're the experts ) is I'd like them all to be a little colder on the taps. If you take the F-Yeah home and make it really, really cold, it's even better!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 am

Yeah those takeaway FY's are awesome .. Have they progressed from the longnecks yet? (Not that it's an issue)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am

JK wrote:Yeah those takeaway FY's are awesome .. Have they progressed from the longnecks yet? (Not that it's an issue)

Yep, but $25 * 6 pack 330ml is a little rich, IMO. ( $100 carton! )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:59 am

that's my experience with the Ed.

I'm organising our work's Christmas Lunchand people are suggesting the Ed, to myself I'm thinking, "Not F***ing Likely!"
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:48 am

Booney wrote:I think I was invited, not MT. :lol:

Phew....thought I had to get my doomsday kit out.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Psyber » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Booney wrote:
toot toot wrote:

Great little joint, isn't it?

It can be a draw back, the popularity of the place and the beers ( now on tap around Adelaide and Sydney ) means they often don't have the capacity to produce enough beer to have bottled stock in place. The kegs are always on and going, but bottled brews sort of come and go in batches.

What was the pick for you mate?

It may have been because I was as a guest of a local group who were getting a concessional package deal per head and a set menu.
Perhaps if there is less profit in it short-cuts are taken or the trainee cooks get the job....
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 pm

The Grand on Mosley Square

Interesting experience today. We were served immediately by a nice young filly who was polite and pleasant but the meals took 30 minutes. The order was a chickenParmi, Chicken Killpatrick, Garlic bread, coke and water. $52 became 31 with the ent book.

The garlic bread looked amazing but was on the shit side of average, the salad was in a bowl (well played) but was pretty dry and didn't finish it, the chips were not cold but were as close to cold as you could get with still being able to eat them. Pretty average output so far.

The schnitzel was not at all big but was a nice juicy well cooked cut with an appropriate amount of sauce and.....wait for it....brace yourself....the schnitzel was not on top of the f@cken chips. Bravo =D> =D>

Tough to rate this one as a lot of the meal was sub par but I went in there for a good schnitzel and was more than happy with that. Throw in the nice views and the pleasant company and it's a 7/10.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:18 am

La Trattoria

I deal with these guys through work, but never been. With the Mrs's's's sister being down from Clare, I thought it would be a nice place to take her for tea.

Got a table around the other side of the restaurant from the bar, which was good. A bit quieter around that side.

Both the Mrs and the sister-in-law got the entree serve of gnocchi. I couldn't resist telling them it's not pasta, its potato. 10 times. Both of them enjoyed it. I tried a bit, and it was good. Im not a gnocchi fan though, so probably wouldn't eat a whole serve.

I got the main serve of spaghetti cozze. A blend of spaghetti, olives, tomatos, and a garlicy sauce, topped with mussels (still in the shell). It looked fancy as f**k, and tasted just as good. There would have been almost 20 mussels in the bowl.

The girls stuck to waters, and I had a Sailor Jerrys.

The only downside was my Mrs didn't get the Coke she ordered while we were loitering and talking shit after the meal. I forgot to check if it was on the bill when I paid, so they could've swindled us.

Overall, very nice night out.

For the three meals, a garden salad to share, and a Sailor Jerrys, the grand total was $94. Bit pricey considering two of the meals were entree size, and we only got one drink and no appetisers.

It didn't really make me want to come back, but it was decent enough to enjoy the meal while we were there.

6/10
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Pag » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:41 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Pag wrote:TGI Fridays.

Ultimate JD Burger. Overcooked meat (medium well). Much better burgers and value and Chuck Wagon, Foundry etc. Not worth the $25.
Missus had a Chipotle Chicken Salad, descrption said blackened chicken (we expected grilled), but it was just cold chicken with a couple of spices. Salad mixture was OK.
Add on 2 cokes and was $35.90 with Ent Book but wont rush back.

Yeah my Mrs got me Gold class cinema tickets to Star Wars at Marion when its released and we were going to try this place as I have never been and have heard such mixed reviews.

Is it 2 for 1 Pag or a 25% off? $25 for a burger does seem somewhat exorbitant

Either way probably give it a bash just for the novelty. Just perused the menu and the grain fed 300g steaks for $32 look reasonable.

2 for 1, and $25 is massive for a burger so I expected it to be everything. Add on the coke and it's $30 for just that meal, when you're looking at $15-$20 max elsewhere. Verve and Spargo's were both in the book and within 50m, I'll go to one of those two next time (if I'm ever down there again).

I love my American food but I've scratched TGI Fridays off my list. Low & Slow is my next stop I reckon (just opened bricks & mortar at Port Adelaide), and 127 Days still, if I can ever get there. Would be easier if they were open on Sundays.
Last edited by Pag on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Failed Creation » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:18 pm

HH3 wrote:La Trattoria

I deal with these guys through work, but never been. With the Mrs's's's sister being down from Clare, I thought it would be a nice place to take her for tea.

Got a table around the other side of the restaurant from the bar, which was good. A bit quieter around that side.

Both the Mrs and the sister-in-law got the entree serve of gnocchi. I couldn't resist telling them it's not pasta, its potato. 10 times. Both of them enjoyed it. I tried a bit, and it was good. Im not a gnocchi fan though, so probably wouldn't eat a whole serve.

I got the main serve of spaghetti cozze. A blend of spaghetti, olives, tomatos, and a garlicy sauce, topped with mussels (still in the shell). It looked fancy as f**k, and tasted just as good. There would have been almost 20 mussels in the bowl.

The girls stuck to waters, and I had a Sailor Jerrys.

The only downside was my Mrs didn't get the Coke she ordered while we were loitering and talking shit after the meal. I forgot to check if it was on the bill when I paid, so they could've swindled us.

Overall, very nice night out.

For the three meals, a garden salad to share, and a Sailor Jerrys, the grand total was $94. Bit pricey considering two of the meals were entree size, and we only got one drink and no appetisers.

It didn't really make me want to come back, but it was decent enough to enjoy the meal while we were there.

6/10

Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:19 am

The Railway Hotel - Opposite the Cop Shop in the Port.

The pub closed in early '14 with little to no business ( no pokies ). A mate and I went in there during the '14 Fringe, the pub hosted some chalk drawings of trucks in various Port locations ( my mate is a truckie and my ol' man was too ).

Groupon had $40 for 4 burgers with a beer/wine/cider so I snaffled a couple of vouchers and went there last Thursday night. Well, I kept the vouchers for another time as Thursday night's it's $16 Chicken Parmy, 2 for 1!! $8 for a parmy, chips and salad. Nice.

Now, the place isn't going to win you over with its decor ( it is an old school Port Adelaide pub still ) and there's no pokies to "have a flutter on" but there is one hell of a nice barman, there's some old Port / shipping / nautical posters around ( which I love ) and there's Coopers on tap as well as one craft beer.

The schnitty, could not complain. At least 2.5cm thick, good size with the chips not underneath the parmy! Wooohoooo they say. Wooohooo indeed. Solid chips, good quality salad and the Aged Ale on tap was $7 a pint, not bad price, very nice beer.

So as I've noted, it's an old school Port pub with old school Port feel but at $16 2 for 1 Parmy's on a Thursday I'll be back for sure.

7/10. Can recommend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:20 am

Booney wrote:Not so much a review as this is a preview.

If any of you have seen the "Low and Slow American BBQ" Food truck around at foodie festivals and taken up the offer you'll also be excited about this.

Opening soon in the Port this place will add to the already burgeoning food/drink culture that is growing in the Port region.

Big Shed Brewing at Royal Park offer some gold, Sweet Amber Cafe about to open on Semaphore Road will be serving local craft beers and foods ( then in time their own brews ) along with the Harts Mill Markets on Sunday morning and the odd Fork in the Road event also held in the Harts Mill precinct. Lots of good stuff on offer in and around the Port. This one, I can't wait to have some ribs, brisket and pulled pork dripping from my gob! :lol:

http://ripitup.com.au/food-and-drink/co ... k5VrXYrK71

https://www.facebook.com/LowSlowAmericanBbq/

Well, well, well. Opened on Thursday night. Closed by 9pm Saturday night with the "SOLD OUT" sign on the door and from this Wednesday it's bookings only! Clearly it goes alright. I'm booked in on Friday night. Review to *slurp* come.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Feenix » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:49 am

Booney wrote:

If any of you have seen the "Low and Slow American BBQ" Food truck around at foodie festivals and taken up the offer you'll also be excited about this.

Opening soon in the Port this place will add to the already burgeoning food/drink culture that is growing in the Port region.

Big Shed Brewing at Royal Park offer some gold, Sweet Amber Cafe about to open on Semaphore Road will be serving local craft beers and foods ( then in time their own brews ) along with the Harts Mill Markets on Sunday morning and the odd Fork in the Road event also held in the Harts Mill precinct. Lots of good stuff on offer in and around the Port. This one, I can't wait to have some ribs, brisket and pulled pork dripping from my gob! :lol:

Well, well, well. Opened on Thursday night. Closed by 9pm Saturday night with the "SOLD OUT" sign on the door and from this Wednesday it's bookings only! Clearly it goes alright. I'm booked in on Friday night. Review to *slurp* come.

I ate there on Friday night, had the Brisket, Pulled pork and Ribs with a side of mac n cheese and slaw.

Brisket was good, Pulled pork was great and the Ribs were awesome. Comes with BBQ and honey mustard sauce on the table so you can lather up your meat.
Sides were good but small.
Staff were good but still working out a few cobwebs.

All in all it was a great meal 9/10
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:30 am

Feenix wrote:
Booney wrote:

I ate there on Friday night, had the Brisket, Pulled pork and Ribs with a side of mac n cheese and slaw.

Brisket was good, Pulled pork was great and the Ribs were awesome. Comes with BBQ and honey mustard sauce on the table so you can lather up your meat.
Sides were good but small.
Staff were good but still working out a few cobwebs.

All in all it was a great meal 9/10

You had me at "Lather up your own meat" :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Bull at a Gate Burger from Schnitthouse before the cricket on Friday.
9/10 for a basic beef burger,
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion