Full 2016 SANFL Draw

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Full 2016 SANFL Draw

Postby JohnnyG » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:38 am

Hey, they got rounds 2, 4 and 18 perfect at least.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:40 am

Worse than I could have dreamed.
5 weeks when teams does not play.
5 wasted weeks.
23 rounds and 18 games!
What a joke.
No new membership for me in 2016.
Why do the clubs let it happen?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:52 am

Magellan wrote:Only three rounds that don't have byes? What a crock.

And if they have to be obsessed with sticking byes in almost every week, you'd think that the SANFL could at the very least avoid putting one in the last round.

Agree.
Even though there's even numbers of teams, don't mind them factoring in a bye for each team, perhaps through last June-July, but to have them starting in round 2 is a joke.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:08 am

Having a closer look, 4 Byes each. Serious? WTF?
Eagles have byes in rounds 6, 9, followed by state game, then 12, and from start of May to last week of June only play 4 games :shock:
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby RB » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:11 am

daysofourlives wrote:
RB wrote:Crows v Sturt at Thebby? I thought they weren't having home games?

Could we conclude Sturt lose money on a Crows game and didnt want it with their additional costs for fencing etc?

@Spelly, has their ever been an SANFL game at Thebby not featuring WT or WWT?

I seem to recall North Adelaide playing a home match against the Eagles there in about 2006.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:12 am

Could be worse, we could have the GF after the AFL which would mean another 2 rounds of byes ;)

There can be no doubt now that the entire comp is run to suit the 2 AFL clubs. If it wasnt for the historical status of the league it would be completely irrelevant. The rest of the state is being made to suffer because the SANFL is trying to cling on to its former status.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:23 am

The clubs wanted the byes and the SANFL wanted 20 games.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Power From Port » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:49 am

When will the Reserves and Under 18's Fixtures be released?
Power From Port

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby saintal » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:06 pm

DOC wrote:For sale: Four light towers, suitable for football, one owner, cost a gazillion but will take best offer.

Do we get a refund on our " I saw the light" tee shirt?

Disappointing. Knee jerk reaction to the debacle against the Ravens? Whilst I prefer day games, I think the club should have looked at hosting at least two night games.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:21 pm

daysofourlives wrote:There can be no doubt now that the entire comp is run to suit the 2 AFL clubs.

^ This.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:59 pm

I hate to think how the reserves fixtures will look.
North reserves had 3 weeks between their first and second games this year!
More of this in 2016 I would expect!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Big Phil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:03 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Worse than I could have dreamed.
5 weeks when teams does not play.
5 wasted weeks.
23 rounds and 18 games!
What a joke.
No new membership for me in 2016.
Why do the clubs let it happen?

At least you can watch Rostrevor on the weeks off...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Will do Phil.
Also it is pretty clever programming norwood v port the same night as the World Cup qualifier at the Adelaide Oval :?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Reddeer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:15 pm

If the comp wasn't already dead, it IS now!!!
Who are the fat cat boffins that run this league, AFL insiders?
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:35 pm

I was interested to read the Crows' reaction to the draw, so I thought I'd pluck up some courage and log onto the Crows website.

There's three articles, one about the Sturt - Crows match at Thebby; http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-12-19/crows-to-host-thebarton-clash

Adelaide’s SANFL team will play a second home game next season against Sturt at Thebarton Oval.

The Round 15 clash on Saturday, July 9 will be the first time the Club has hosted a home State League match in Adelaide. The Crows have previously played one home SANFL game each year against Port Adelaide in regional South Australian communities.

The match was originally scheduled for Sturt’s traditional home at Peter Motley Oval in Unley, but was relocated following proactive discussions between the two clubs.

Sturt will retain all gate and catering revenue from the match while Adelaide will cover the majority of match day costs.

Double Blues members and Crows ticketed members will receive free entry to the game.

GM of Football Administration Phil Harper said the move was a win for both clubs.

“This is a great opportunity for our members to come down and support our State League team at a ‘home’ game,” Harper said.

“The Sturt Football Club should be commended for looking outside the square to try and help boost the profile and attendances for this match.

“We hope a big crowd turns up and fans of both teams get down to Thebarton to enjoy the action and reward the Double Blues for having the foresight to try something new and exciting.”

Thebarton Oval was home of the West Torrens Football Club from 1922 to 1990 and last hosted a SANFL game in the opening round of the 2012 season. Adelaide won a NAB Challenge match against Fremantle at the venue the year prior.

The match will be the only opportunity for fans to see the Crows in action in Adelaide that weekend, with the Club’s AFL team to play Carlton in Melbourne the following day.

The fixture is a one-off agreement between the two clubs with no plans for games to be shifted from Unley in future seasons.

Pre-match entertainment will include a junior lightning carnival and other family friendly activities.

As is Crows members are going to attend a putative 'home' game at Thebarton Oval. Most Crows fans would be hard pressed to know that a venue called Thebarton Oval exists ot its relevance in SANFL terms.

As someone said earlier, it's more like Sturt are minimizing the bleeding by hosting this nonsense at their own ground by getting the Crows to foot the bill. In fact, Harper's language reeks of a patronising attitude. Shifting venues is hardly 'the foresight to try something new and exciting.' The Crows know they don't pull in crowds and are a liability for the true SANFL clubs, they know Sturt have financial obligations on match day (e.g. temporary fences, etc), and feel sorry for them and have allowed them a one-off chance to not go deeper into the red. The costs for hosting this game for the Crows would be a tiny drop in their financial ocean. I reckon you'll get a typical attendance of 95% Sturt fans, and zero atmosphere. I also expect the weather to be trotted out as an excuse if the crowd is extra disappointing, even if it's a fine day.

My prediction for season 2016 is this: the Crows promote this game amongst themselves as a Crows 'home' match. This will result in a small group of Crows season ticket-holders turning up at Adelaide Oval on match day. They will ask the staff at the gate that they have arrived to see 'the game against Sturt', or if a regular league player has been dropped or injured, 'the game where {insert players' name} is playing'. They will be turned way, because there will be no game on for them to watch. They will grizzle about it, blame everyone else except the Crows, and it will make front page news.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:43 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Will do Phil.
Also it is pretty clever programming norwood v port the same night as the World Cup qualifier at the Adelaide Oval :?

The season opener would have already been locked in, WELL before the soccer game was scheduled...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:47 pm

I have a simple answer.
Just change it!
Not rocket science to me.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Jim05 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Reddeer wrote:If the comp wasn't already dead, it IS now!!!
Who are the fat cat boffins that run this league, AFL insiders?

Yep, will only be a few years before the AFL take over the comp. Plans are already in place for the U18's and U16's to be removed from the SANFL within the next few years
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Someone just pointed out to me,
North's and Power's last match would round 21 on 21st of August if they don't make the finals.
If North or Power finish top they will have 3 weeks twiddling their thumbs waiting for their first final!
Amazing programming indeed.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Postby Magellan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:14 pm

JohnnyG wrote:Well after more than half a century of supporting SANFL, it looks like they are forcing me to take a permanent bye.

Putting aside the ineptitudes of my club's on and off field performances, the SANFL and my club are really trying my faith in this competition.

For those familiar with the comedy of Andrew Dice Clay, I can't help but think the SANFL have wholeheartedly adopted Ford Fairlane's philosophy to picking up women:

"Some people play hard to get. I play hard to want."
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL