unpiring & rule changes for 2016

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: unpiring & rule changes for 2016

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Out of bounds is a joke! It's not Auskick...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3068 times
Been liked: 2437 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm

JK wrote:
goddy11 wrote:The out of bounds free kick will become one of the most controversial frees ever. I do not understand why it was needed in the SANFl

It's worth remembering that "Out of Bounds on the Full" didn't come into the code until the 60's I think (EDIT: Quick look on Wiki which is always reliable :lol: says 1969) .. Supporters at the time might have felt the same as some do now, but the next generation probably just accept it and don't have a problem with it.

As I've said previously Im neither for/nor against at this stage, would like to see how it plays out a bit first. Certainly think the game needed to find a way to become more entertaining than it's been for the last 4-5 years. And yep I know my club has played a big part in that.

I agree with you.

At this stage im against it because in the game(s) i have seen the rule only came into affect 4-5 times. That has me questioning whether we need to tinker with the rules and have another different version of Australian Rules Football.

Also the cases in the Central versus North game hardly made the game the free flowing affair.

On two occasions the free was implemented in the teams defensive pocket after the opposing side had a shot on goal which bounced out by the point post and secondly from an inside fifty that went out near the point post. On both occasions the football bounced over the boundary fence and took the normal 15-30 seconds for the ball to be returned. By that time the team with the free ended up having to make the kick straight down the line as everyone had been manned up and that resulted in a ball up from a spilled marking contest.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2587 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:54 pm

If the ball only went with a few frees it tells me the rule was a success (note how many goals Centrals kicked),more corridor footy,
because you can bet the players tried really hard not to kick it out of bounds.
Tough if forwards can't kick,they best learn better kicking skills.
Same for both teams,defenders and forwards.
Anyone got the stats comparing last year to this year (ball ups and throw ins).
I will bet it is lots smaller this year.
I also remember pre 1969,they brought in the out on the full to stop deliberate kick oob strategies as strong ruck teams
just worked their way around the boundary.
Throw in after throw in,not pretty to watch on wet days.
For some reason prior to 1969 umpires were reluctant to pay the obvious oob frees.
Remember in the 30's the oob free kick was in.
We just need time to get used to it and the attractive high scoring it gets.
Love it. :D
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:58 pm

VALE PARK wrote:If the ball only went with a few frees it tells me the rule was a success (note how many goals Centrals kicked),more corridor footy,
because you can bet the players tried really hard not to kick it out of bounds.
Tough if forwards can't kick,they best learn better kicking skills.
Same for both teams,defenders and forwards.
Anyone got the stats comparing last year to this year (ball ups and throw ins).
I will bet it is lots smaller this year.
I also remember pre 1969,they brought in the out on the full to stop deliberate kick oob strategies as strong ruck teams
just worked their way around the boundary.
Throw in after throw in,not pretty to watch on wet days.
For some reason prior to 1969 umpires were reluctant to pay the obvious oob frees.
Remember in the 30's the oob free kick was in.
We just need time to get used to it and the attractive high scoring it gets.
Love it. :D

I wouldn't get to excited about the high scoring just yet, the weather was absolute perfect when teams should be at their absolute fittest etc

Also throw in the fact three of the four games were one sided which helps with teams kicking bigger scores as games open up

Not saying there won't be more scoring but let's look at that after five to ten rounds

My point about the forwards bad kicking was that it didn't actually speed the game up like it was meant to and if anything slowed the game down
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2587 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:14 pm

What frustrates me is they are pinging everyone for deliberate yet guys can still rush a point. I'd rather see the deliberate rushed point be pinged more
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:13 am

Whilst not sold on the out of bounds rule - it certainly is a lot better than the lottery of whether deliberate out of bounds was paid or not as witnessed in a couple of AFL games I saw on the weekend. At the very least, it takes away one grey area of umpire decision making.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby goddy11 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:04 am

Hazydog wrote:Whilst not sold on the out of bounds rule - it certainly is a lot better than the lottery of whether deliberate out of bounds was paid or not as witnessed in a couple of AFL games I saw on the weekend. At the very least, it takes away one grey area of umpire decision making.

What I saw on Sunday was a lottery. The frees were random. From non deliberate plays. Them similar events went non penalized. If the rule is applied with no grey area, I see the free count mounting.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 214 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Hazydog » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:41 pm

As I understand the rule - balls going out of bounds from non deliberate possessions (ie ball bouncing off a leg and going out of bounds) shouldn't be penalised. Might take a few games for the umps to be educated with those.

Like I say, I'm not sold yet, but a 50M kick up the line that goes out of bounds will be paid in the SANFL, but not necessarily in the AFL depending on the mood of the umpire, which team has momentum, whether a player was realistically targeted etc...so at least GENERALLY you will know what the decision is going to be.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:36 pm

There was a horrible one o. Thursday night at the Parade, a Norwood player had a shot for goal, kicking the ball off the ground from a harsh angle, the ball bounced the other way as it rolled and went out of bounds. Deliberate was called. No way should that ever be a free kick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 934 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:26 pm

RustyCage wrote:There was a horrible one o. Thursday night at the Parade, a Norwood player had a shot for goal, kicking the ball off the ground from a harsh angle, the ball bounced the other way as it rolled and went out of bounds. Deliberate was called. No way should that ever be a free kick.

Deliberate is irrelevant mate, that rule hasn't changed in the SANFL.
If the Norwood player kicked it and it went out of bounds with no other players touching it's a definite free kick under the new rule.

I'm loving the new rule personally with the only frustration being the people at the games who don't know it.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Spargo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:
RustyCage wrote:There was a horrible one o. Thursday night at the Parade, a Norwood player had a shot for goal, kicking the ball off the ground from a harsh angle, the ball bounced the other way as it rolled and went out of bounds. Deliberate was called. No way should that ever be a free kick.

If the Norwood player kicked it and it went out of bounds with no other players touching it's a definite free kick under the new rule.

I'm loving the new rule personally with the only frustration being the people at the games who don't know it.

Surely, as much as you love the new rule, this example shows it's flawed to an extent.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5712 times
Been liked: 5277 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:29 am

Spargo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Surely, as much as you love the new rule, this example shows it's flawed to an extent.

No. If a player misses the goal in other sports it usually results in the opposition gaining possession of the ball. Makes perfect sense, boundary throw one are a blight on the game.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Gozu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:52 pm

Live SANFL blog with Warren Partland: Do you agree with the new out of bounds rule?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/sanfl-live ... 18247e23c6
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:01 pm

I don't think the rule goes far enough. Not only should it be a free kick but the offending player should get tasered.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby cracka » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:02 pm

With this new rule can a team score from a free kick in
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 468 times
Been liked: 585 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:21 pm

Yes you can.
I made a post on the site how much I liked the new rules, it never appeared!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby vics01 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:52 pm

One has to wonder about the people making the rule decisions these days..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-05/l ... tion-evans
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 am

Wedgie wrote:No. If a player misses the goal in other sports it usually results in the opposition gaining possession of the ball. Makes perfect sense, boundary throw one are a blight on the game.

100% agree. Boundary throw ins add nothing to the game, except for creating defensive football. I would love to see the rule for both kicks and handballs, with throw ins only for where the ball is off hands (though if they went the whole hog and made it fully last touched i don't t think i would care that much)

For those that are saying it only happens a few times per game - its more the way it changes players' behaviour that is the winner. Players will try harder to keep it in

Hazydog wrote:Whilst not sold on the out of bounds rule - it certainly is a lot better than the lottery of whether deliberate out of bounds was paid or not as witnessed in a couple of AFL games I saw on the weekend. At the very least, it takes away one grey area of umpire decision making.

Seems like the AFL is monitoring it very closely. Wouldn't surprise me if it was in next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... a247249299
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:35 am

PS can someone please remove the typo in the thread title
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am

bennymacca wrote:PS can someone please remove the typo in the thread title

I know, it's been bugging me for weeks. :lol:
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL